PDA

View Full Version : What does ticking over mean? TPS reset

cyclone
07-15-2012, 11:51 PM
After resetting the TPS the directions say to check the "tick over". If one sets the TPS at the appropriate number 5.1% and the idle isn't at a steady state, then adjusting the idle adjust will change the TPS setting away from the 5.1%. Or does one assume that all will be well when it is set at 5.1%

user_deleted
07-16-2012, 11:08 AM
cyclone: you have an 07 or older, correct? consensus of opinion is to to the TPS reset, blip throttle several times and check again for 5.1% #, then start bike, let warm up and see where your idle is. 1150rpm and above just seems to be a bit too high on these bikes and can tend to promote "throttle hang-up" or engine run on. i have mine set at 900rpm on all 3 buells and works perfectly.

Oldgit
07-16-2012, 11:50 AM
If you're on a pre-08 bike make sure you reduce the TPS adjuster until there is no more voltage drop, then do 2 more whole turns anti-clockwise. Keep blipping the throttle to force it to reseat. Once you have done this hit the reset in ECMSpy or TunerPro, and increase the TPS adjuster until you get between 5.1 and 5.5%.

jstav
07-16-2012, 01:54 PM
I did mine yesterday, it never went all the way to zero, and I backed the adjuster nut all the way out! Be careful not to do that. I removed airbox, was able to re-thread the adjuster, but had to move the coil out of the way to get it.

Oldgit
07-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Weird. Mine did it fine. What year is yours? Mines an '04.

jstav
07-16-2012, 10:44 PM
I have 2006. Felt like mine was catching a little when the stop was all the way pulled out.

Alfatango1
07-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Felt like mine was catching a little when the stop was all the way pulled out. Is your adjuster still tied up at an angle or did you cut the zip tie to make it as straight as possible while backing it out? Sometimes they will bind if you try to do it with cable not straight.

jstav
07-17-2012, 12:57 AM
oh, no, I didn't cut the zip tie, thanks for the suggestion. It's all good now, just felt like it had never been moved. It's running good now, and I'm debating on burning in the 2007 EEPROM to the ECM...

buellxb9rs
07-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Don't burn the whole EEPROM, just maps and timing.

jstav
07-17-2012, 01:08 AM
Ok,thanks much, I thought there might be some other stuff in the settings, but if all else is the same other than fueling and timing, then I'll go for it with just those maps

Rhino1
07-17-2012, 01:12 AM
Tick over is how some Brits refer to idle...

Jramsey
07-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Tick over is how some Brits refer to idle...

Dingdingding we have a winner![up]

cyclone
07-28-2012, 02:50 AM
My Ulysses is a 2006. I set the idle at 1050-1100. It seemed to run fine initially. The next day is ran rough, slow and died. I adjusted the idle until it seemed to idle steady, but seems a bit high. I still have the surging and stuttering problem. I changed the spark plugs with the recommended NGK Iridiums. I guess my next try will be the breather modification.

Is there a reason to change the mapping, might it help with the surging/stuttering?

djohnk
07-28-2012, 04:07 AM
Here's how I do it:
1) warm up bike.
2) take off air box, air filter and bottom plate air filter sits on. check to see if the the throttle plate and the inside of throttle body need cleaning. If so, do it clean it good with some carb cleaner. Also a good time to inspect the throttle body shaft for signs of wear.
3) turn idle screw counter clockwise until it is observed that the tip of the idle adjustment screw is not touching (I use a bright flashlight to see).
4) open close throttle a few times. visually observe that its closed all the way.
5) reset the tps with ECM spy or tunerpro
6) adjust to 5.5% (before adjusting make sure your still connected to the ECM, for some reason my ECMspy always has to be reconnected after I reset the tps)
7) reassemble bike (air filter etc), unhook the computer, start bike and adjust idle if bike requires it (my bike runs like crap until I adjust idle at this point). get bike to idle at about 1000 rpm by looking at the tachometer on the bike (don't worry about being hooked up to a computer or 5.5% anymore ... it doesn't matter, all bikes vary on what number works for them)
8) take the bike out for a spin and get it good and warm, when you get back check the idle again. Don't adjust it above 1050rpm. My bike likes to idle a touch under 1000 rpm.
9) The first time I reset the tps I carried my screwdriver with me to re-adjust idle during the next few days to see what my bike liked best.

djohnk
07-28-2012, 04:09 AM
cyclone, you have the idle too high, that's why its surging. warm it up real good and lower the idle just a hair. You will be surprised that it works.

cyclone
07-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Djohnk, Thanks. I'll lower the idle and try that. I did carry my wrench the first time out after adjusting because it wouldn't stay running. Ill back it off a little and see what happens.

djohnk
08-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Hey cyclone, I was curious did you ever get your problem fixed?

cyclone
08-16-2012, 02:46 AM
djohnk, Lowering the rpm seemed to help quite a bit initially. It still runs rough at low and steady speeds and is sputtering a little the same as it was initially. I guess I'll try the air breather mod next. Thanks

roxxx
08-16-2012, 03:29 AM
Here is what i call ticking over :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFMTPYAuV4g

Makes me grin every time i watch it

jamba
08-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Here is what i call ticking over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFMTPYAuV4g

Makes me grin every time i watch it

Nice... sounds more like hd :)

lvn2wheels
09-13-2012, 12:44 PM
This video is the first time I had ever seen a Buell. I have ridden Jap sport bikes and wanted a more naked bike and someone told me to check out the XB. This and another one of his videos where he is in a parking deck sold me. I remember loving the wheels, and I have always loved the sound of the old V8 cars with cams at idle.