PDA

View Full Version : How do I store my bike??

JacobsBuell
10-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey guys, I got another question for you all. I'm gonna be leaving over seas for a year, and I'm wondering how i should store my 08 'bolt. i.e. should it be full of gas with gas stabilizer; up on stands to prevent flat spots on my tires; battery unplugged; I need some advice.

FIDOSOL
10-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Definately unplug your battery and tape off the ends of your cables.

1001yos
10-25-2008, 09:11 PM
In addition to the above:

-Use fogging oil to kill the engine (remove air filter to do so)
-Deflate tires to half pressure
-Overfill oil resevoir (on transmission and drain excess before next use)
-Possibly spray fogging oil down cylinders and turn engine over by hand 2 or 3 revolutions

Been doing this every winter and have had good spring start-ups

JacobsBuell
10-25-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm unfamiliar will fogging oil? Is there a certain brand that you recommend? Is that found at a bike shop or automotive store?

Trill
10-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I add some seafoam to gas and oil run for a couple mins, roll bike onto pices of carpet then hook up battery tender and cover. WOrked great

but for a year I would go with the above lol

Devlsmurf
10-26-2008, 02:21 AM
When I stored mine for my overseas trip, which ended up being a bit longer than a year :) I filled up my tank with good clean gas, added stabil, changed the oil, deflated tires to a little over half, and disconnected battery...took me three tries before she started right up...granted that was my harley, but they're pretty close. good luck.

1001yos
10-26-2008, 02:29 AM
Fogging oil can be purchacesd through an autoparts store, or a marine supply. It is kind of a lightish aerosol oil that you spray directly into a running engine's intake untill the motor quits. <give it a little gas while you spray it in an when you see the exhaust smoke change colour, spray extra hard and stop throttling.> This will protect the valves pistons, cylinders, and rings against gremlins. Spraying directly into the cylinder is good too.