PDA

View Full Version : Comm Box

Pagano
07-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Hey y'all:

Is it possible for the Y0463.06AH comm box to fail or otherwise become an expensive piece of plastic?

Tonna (check his post) and I have been trying to get his 03 XB9r talking to 3 different computers using ecmspy, tunerpro, megalogger softwares, the factory cable and a DIY serial cable.

Whole lotta nothing.

When the Comm box is inline...nothing communicates (Time out error, no eeprom codes, ecm is unseen), and when its removed, the bike flashes out the error codes like when the simple 'jumper' method is used.

All software is believed to be the latest update available, and none came with the comm box (from previous owner) Is there such an animal?

The bike's running and ride-able, but being able to clear the codes, lobotomize and reprogram her would be the keystone to unleashing the beast.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

ich
07-18-2012, 07:36 PM
it has buell printed on it, so what else would you expect?

Pagano
07-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Heh, Im beginning to see the truth in that statement. Never worked on a Buell before.

This is the bike, as posted by its previous owner (I presume)
http://www.buellxb.com/index.php?a=buell_photos&i=27165
Tonna wants to keep her appearance relatively the same, save for a killer painjob hes sketching out.

There's are several things I'm finding as I work through her that are raising some mechanical / electrical eyebrows, but this ecm issue is giving me a serious headache that we just cant seem to figure out.

uly luigi
07-18-2012, 08:09 PM
I haven't personally heard of any one here use "Comm Box"s, just a good cable and ECMSpy or TunerPro, where did the cable come from? If it plugs in and starts flashing codes thru the dash/CEL, then I would have to say the cable is "No Bueno"

Pagano
07-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Its my understanding that the box enables the use of a usb connector in place of the serial, limiting voltage to 5.5 or so.
We were told that the cable and box came from EBR with the Race Ecm. When Tonna took ownership, the cable had a gash in the plenum exposing the Al winding surround on the 'bike' end.
It was inspected and metered, continuity with all 4 points at bike end and respective points on serial end, .6 ohms/ea.
The wires inside had no exposed copper and close (jewelers lens) inspection they all looked clean and intact. To be safe, we made a cable from serial-to-serial cable and some fittings, with the same results.

Pagano
07-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Tonight / Tomorrow, were gonna try one last solution: build a computer specifically for the Buell, there by eliminating and question about the software/com port side.
He's the computer tech, so a fresh tower with nothing but tuning software for the bike.
I'm trying to get in contact with our local import bike and HD shops to see if they can lend a cable for an hour or so...I'm doubting it, but hey, it's worth a try.
If not, I'm making another cable...unless any of y'all happen to live near Syracuse, NY and have one :D, and if that fails, well, then its time to order another.

Tonna
07-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Is the Factory Race ECM compatable with ECMspy or does it only work with the factory tuning software...?
The last owner said EBR set up the maps on the ECM, so he hadn't used the cable and had no idea about the software.

Pagano
07-19-2012, 06:05 PM
The last owner said EBR set up the maps on the ECM, so he hadn't used the cable and had no idea about the software.

Exactly...anyone else heard of that / have that done?!? It sounded pretty shady to me, but its not my bike.

Someone...anyone...?

uly luigi
07-19-2012, 06:48 PM
EBR doesn't do just "Maps", if they did the maps, it is to their ECM, I have heard that you can not talk to EBR ecms with ECMSpy, you can reset TPS, check codes, but that's all, TunerPro can manipulate the maps of EBR ecms, but why? use a stock ecm and play with that. I would suggest getting in touch with Tuniversity, a sponsor, or Xoptiinside.com, they should be able to help you out.
Good Luck guys

Pagano
07-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the insight UL, appreciate the help. Rep to you [up]

We've been trying to talk to the previous owner to get a better idea of what exactly was done to her (I think there's a Power Commander in there, no, really...) He didn't seem to do any of the work himself so again :

If you were involved in building /rebuilding this bike-

http://www.buellxb.com/index.php?a=buell_photos&i=27165

Y'all created a monster! She's a great bike, just hates going slow. We have to temporarily remap 1st-3rd gears for the street...the track will be her home after all is said and done.

Please chime in and let us know. Its just tough to do anything to her without a definitive list of her mods.