PDA

View Full Version : oil

xlntcfp
07-21-2012, 10:44 PM
:(

xlntcfp
07-21-2012, 10:45 PM
just bought the ulysses 09 and was wondering how much oil it should burn using regular harley oil over a 1000 mile period. it seems to have burned around half a quart....not sure if this is standard operating procedure.

xlntcfp
07-21-2012, 10:58 PM
also, after reading about the rear wheel bearings, wonder if I should go ahead and change them when I change tires. have about 8k on the bike

djohnk
07-21-2012, 11:02 PM
I think it depends on how hard you were riding ... if you were just putting along it's more than mine would use (my bike has ~47K miles on it).

Also, when you check it makes a huge difference in what shows on the dip-stick. If you check it when its been sitting there for awhile, then check it right after you shut the bike down, your going to see different levels on the dip stick even though the same amount of oil is in the bike.

One more thing, if your on the bottom of where the XX's are on the dip-stick and you put in 1/2 of a quart of oil you will overfill it. If you overfill it, you will get oil coming out all over the air box (messy).

djohnk
07-21-2012, 11:08 PM
The rear wheel bearings ... I wouldn't change them as preventative maintenance. You run the chance of damaging the rims, and if you do it too much the bearing might start to turn in the rim.

I would check them to see if they feel rough when I have the wheel off the bike.

If they look good, just pry the little plastic bearing covers off with a tiny flat blade screwdriver and repack the bearings with some good grease.

Those bearings are cheap, I keep pair in stock at the house in case they go bad on me. When I travel I take them with me just in case.

xlntcfp
07-22-2012, 12:51 PM
thanks for the help

will double check oil amount.
from what i gather the best way
to check is to get the bike normal
operating hot and then check.

just getting to know the bike

xlntcfp
07-22-2012, 12:54 PM
looking at tires for on off road...80/20 friend says metzler tourance, another friend says the dunlop 616....any suggestions?

Petrus
07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Not sure if the Tourance comes in Uly size. I run Metzeler roadtec Z5 at this moment and I'm real pleased the way they perform. Even on gravel no problems.