PDA

View Full Version : Bike Heating

HOVERJOCKI
04-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi Guys & Girls.
Just curious about the heat produced from this bike. I have just bought an XB12s and enjoying every minute but the amount of heat you feel when riding is a bit of an eye opener.
I'm getting back in to riding after 9 year abscence and bought a Buell out of curiosity and i really like it but i'm not remembering being aware of the heat from the Jap bikes when i used to ride them; also i am riding in Vegas so the daily temps are getting up now in to the 90s so i'm guessing that will add to the bike heat as well.
Is it normal for the fan to be running for 3 mins after you shut down to cool the bike down or not?
Just a few questions and hope to get a better understanding of these bikes.
Thanks alot.

mrdozer2you
04-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Well first off its air cooled. The heat just dissapates as you ride, there is an oil cooler as well. Thats the little black box on the lower left side of your bike near the front. There are also cooling fans that blow on each head of your motor. One in the front and one under your seat in the rear. These will run when your bike is shut off until the temp sensors read an acceptable temperature to shut off. When your bike is new these will run longer after the bike is off. ( at least mine did ) With the jap bikes they are almost all in-line 4's liquid cooled. Plus they are covered in plastic so you dont feel as much heat as you will on your Buell. Your manifolds run down the right hand side of your bike adding to the heat you feel. Some people wrap these pipes in a heat resistant material, I think it looks cheesy but whatever works I guess. They also make heat shields you can buy for your manifolds, they look good but I have no experience on how well they work. I guess in a nutshell i'm saying its a hot bike, period. It smells constantly of fuel, is noisy and shakes like hell.....but thats what makes them awesome!!!

HOVERJOCKI
04-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks alot mate, you appear to be a wealth of information on these bikes and i have a feeling i might be posting a few more questions out there until i get a hand on this stuff.....might appear dumb but not used to owning something like this and i need to learn this stuff.
Again, thanks alot for your help.

mrdozer2you
04-28-2007, 12:37 PM
No problem, and there is no dumb questions. The only dumb questions are the ones you dont ask!![up] Oh and congrats on the new purchase! ( forgot that in my last reply :p )