PDA

View Full Version : Race ECM Tunable???

blackxb12r
10-28-2008, 08:55 PM
I have been trying to find someone local shop to do my 10,000 mile service. there is an independant cycle shop that specializes in HD, who has a dyno, the tech said that my ecm might not be tunable without a power commander or other tunable progam on it. does anybody know if you can tune a buell race ecm without anything extra??? i think i will have it run on the dyno for $30 and see if it even needs any tweaking. thoughts anyone???

LeFox
10-29-2008, 08:41 AM
every ecm is tunable.

blackxb12r
10-29-2008, 01:22 PM
thats what i was thinking. i am just curious if this guy knows what the hell he is talking about.

LeFox
10-30-2008, 09:37 AM
if he says it can't be tuned, he's just saying he doesn't know how and therefore needs a piggy-back unit

xb9fog
12-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Tuning Software for 08 / 09 DDFI-III:
http://www.ohiosportbike.com

MONSTER
01-27-2009, 04:45 PM
you know what, my local dealer's senior service tech told me that he couldn't tune my 12R with a stock ECM. so LeFox your saying that they can tune/map my ECM? [mad]

Stevenc150
01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
'04 stock ECM is definitely tuneable. Sounds like he's being a dick unless he was just saying that he didn't know how to tune it.

Thaloc
01-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Nah they still cant map 08 09 ecms normally, You need the above software to do it along with ECMSpy and the link cable.

Stevenc150
01-27-2009, 07:36 PM
According to Monster's info: 2004 Buell XB12R. So it's def. tuneable.

LeFox
01-27-2009, 09:08 PM
an ecm is a computerchip...needs to be programmed to work...what can be programmed can also be reprogrammed.

MONSTER
01-28-2009, 06:54 PM
thats what i thought, in any case my one of my cohorts has the cable and now thanks to this awsome friggin' forum i have the data. thanks guys.

JJxb12r
09-11-2009, 01:23 AM
hey guys i have an 08 xb12r and i got the software from ohiosport bike i would recommend it to everyone with 08 plus bikes dave from ohio sport bike knows his stuff. he tells you how to do it step by step. i got my ecm reflashed to the latest update for a 08 xb12 and while at the dealer my ecm got fried while doing the update but they rolled a 2010 xb12r off the showroom floor and put the ecm off that into my bike (they of course flashed it for a 08). but dave stuck with me through the whole thing on getting my calibration id and if your calibration id is one he has not seen he will make one for you.

buelldyno_guy
09-12-2009, 10:48 PM
I am new to this Forum and don't want to seem like a know it all, but all Buell ECM's are tunable! The question is what you need and how to tune each different one. I will try and list each and a tuning method that I know to work.
1. Tube Type DDFI system. ECM Spy or add-on DynoJet Power Commander.
2. Early 03-04 XB stock ECM. ECM Spy - Direct Link
3. Early 03-04 over the counter Race Kit ECM. ECM Spy - Direct Link
4 03-05 Buell Racing Henry Duga tunable ECM comes with a Kimble DOS program.
5. 06-07 DDFI-2 Buell Racing Henry Duga tunable ECM comes with a Windows program to tune.
6.05-07 Stock or over the counter Race Kit ECM. use ECM Spy or Direct Link.
7. Early 08 not re-flashed by the dealerECM Spy or Direct Link.
8. Late or re-flashed 08-09 Direct Link only.

Now here is my caveat to the above list. It has taken several of us a few years to learn how to do all this. Each year or time the Buell calibration and or firmware changes we each need to go in and see what's different and if we can still tune these ECM's. Al Lighten from American Sport Bike and I have teamed up for the last several years to try and stay on top of what's happening with each change. We try and develop maps that have been tested and work well. The folks at Ohio Sport Bike do it different than we do, but get it done with with satisfactory results. The big thing is not the available tuning software, it's how it's used in or outside the Dyno room. As a rule, we don't share our "Secrets of the Temple," but are always happy to take your calls and discuss how this unique ECM works and other running issues trying help any of you find the answers to your questions.

In closing, some notes about add on boxes or devices. it's all in the name "add-on." Some work, others are a waste of time and money. A big advantage is that the EEPROM in your stock ECM is never changed. However DJ will be coming out with a PC-V for the 1125 and I hope to be one of the beta testers when it becomes available. I think it will work fine and the PC-V has a lot of bells and whistles racers like, but we will wait and see. Thanks Terry - www.jtsperformance.com