PDA

View Full Version : gutting exhaust?

Xbscg87
08-06-2012, 04:10 AM
I have a 2009 xb12scg....im looking for someone who has gutted the stock exhaust on a newer lightning ...im not worried about the gutting part I know I can do that I want to know if there is anything else that needs to be done or would it be cheaper to just buy aftermarket...im not looking for performance gains I just want this thing to sound mean from all rpm ranges instead of just when you crack the throttle...but I also don't want a scooter to pass me because it bogs down or something lol any help would be much appriciated

oldblue
08-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Randy knows his stuff!
http://home.windstream.net/hawk63/

1badtitan90
08-06-2012, 04:49 AM
So what's your question... I have done 2 different gutted stock pipe.. look at my pics..

Xbscg87
08-06-2012, 06:01 AM
My question is do I need to do anything with the ecm or anything else to keep it from running rough....also do u have details on your gut job badtitan...did u pack it or just leave the can empty also I love your dual outlets

wally
08-06-2012, 06:48 AM
Easy as pie - gutted mine, repacked (the tighter you pack, the louder the sound) and added 2 elbows for outlets.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/9521_20110612002239_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/9521_20110612002003_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/9521_20110612002455_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/9521_20110612002558_L.jpg

GAXB9R
08-06-2012, 07:15 AM
My question is do I need to do anything with the ecm or anything else to keep it from running rough....

First question I have is what other mods to the bike are there? If the gutted exhaust is all you have for modifications I wouldn't see it necessary to run a race map. Unless you just want to tune it I don't see a problem running it that way. If you upgrade to a K&N air filter to open up the intake more then I would say yes to running a race map. If you are balling on a budget like most of us Randy at Hawk exhaust is a stand up guy. On the other hand if you are looking to learn something new and do it yourself go for it. Use the search button to scour the forum. There are many threads on this subject. I think even a few show the inside of a Hawk pipe. Good luck either way you go.[up]

jimijeans
08-06-2012, 07:21 AM
You can run With a STOCK ECM and gut the Exhaust especially on the XB model Bikes. 08+ Bikes, get the imunlater from American Sport Bike.com to keep the Exhaust Actuator (up top ) of the Airbox unplug it/ now plug in the part ordered and this way you won't have the cel [yellow] light up on your Cluster.
You can leave the [orignal Actulator] plugged in BUT it does not last long, and is a piece of Harley Crap!
That way should anything else goes on you will not be caught off guard.Such as Charging system and other areas.
The Stock Exhaust can be reworked (gutted) and if you like put some insulation in it OR call up KD Fab .com and see what Kevin charges for a Econo Drummer Exhaust. He does Excellent work and it is a Tested Product & Track Proven. Some don't like his prices so you are in charge of that.
It will last for many years and sound , WELL look up some You Tube Videos(Buell Exhaust Sound) etc..And try not to fall for the OverPriced Overseas Exhausts.
I have used Drummer for many Bikes including my own, over the years and have never had a problem. I even had him make my 2 Honda/RC51 Bikes with Twin Exhausts. NO one Dislikes the Sound that Respects the Rc51/Bikes. The Drummer, It will sound in any Gear like Thunder is coming, Just the way I like mine.
The Muffler will not have a Tin Can Sound with hollowness, it will sound like a TorQue Monster.
If you go with a cheaper build make sure to have only one Exhaust Exit so you have some midrange horsepower if you stay with the Stock ECM.
If you are going to Individually Retune the ECM OR buy an Erik Buell ECM put the Twin Exits on the Muffler. You will get some decelleration poping with a [Stock ECM], when you change the Exhaust.
If individual Tuning is not your Thing then Call up Erik Buell Racing .com and let them know what you are using Air Filter Type/Exhaust/ and so on.Eriks ECM is plug and Reset TPS and Ride on the 2008 /2009/ & 2010 Bikes. If Two Exits are what you want invest in some individual tuning Stock ECM so you have midrange power.
Should you Keep the Stock ECM Get with the Tunversity here on the Forum for helping you Retune the ECM with that.Good Luck with your Mods.
Remember if you run a STOCK ECM and a Free Flowing Air Filter(mesh Type)and a Free Flowing Exhaust(gutted)ect.,you will get poping on Decelleration, IT will[ NOT hurt] the bike to ride it like that.It may after a while annoy you but you can Ride the Bike.
The 2008 Through 2010 Bikes are very touchy, so take your time and have fun with your mods.Reset the TPS[08+ Key turn Method] when changing any area discussed for a good Idling Engine.Ride Safe.*Jimi

1badtitan90
08-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Its just gutted.. I also welded the exhaust valve open.... I have race ecm, open air box, and 595 redline cams.. the cams are not necessary but they just add the joy of the torque these bikes make...

Xbscg87
08-06-2012, 08:29 AM
First off thank you all for the advice so far... Everything is stock except for a k &n filter bought it this way...its very boggy already when you just snap the throttle a bit but seems to run fine any other throttle position ...I wasn't sure if I needed to do a remap and I do get some decel popping too ...and I definitely want dual outlets for my exhaust

Wally what did u use for packing material how did u wrap it also where did u get the perforated pipe if u could give me a few more details that would be great

Xbscg87
08-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Ha just realized I started this thread under race kits...oops didn't mean to do that

wally
08-06-2012, 09:44 AM
xbs, I went to a local exhaust building outlet, bought some off-cut perforated pipe, along with the elbows (which they use as well). My local custom bike exhaust builder supplied me with packing material, which is essentially the fibreglass matting type. It was just stuffed in tight, but you could wrap it around the perforated pipes and tie-down with wire.

I basically followed this thread: http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-To-Build-your-own-Exhaust

Very simple - just make sure you have all the tools handy - cuts down on time. Not like - me. Running around for tools cause I didn't plan in advance!

Cost me about $40-45 I think to get done.

Xbscg87
08-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks wally yes I have a friend that has every tool imaginable lol im looking forward to trying it out

Whiplash97
08-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Yes, thanks this was a big help, answered alot of me questions....

Just a recap: I can open my exhaust a little without remapping as long as I use a stick air filter?

That is what I've been digging for! Thanks