PDA

View Full Version : Big bore kit and other top end parts!

JoshBiz
08-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Hello,
I am wondering if any of you have put a big bore kit on your Buell.
I have a 1999 Buell X1 that I have had its whole life and I needed to change some gaskets and figued since I was breaking down the whole top end I would put some new parts to freshen it up! If you have put in a big bore kit did you put in new cams if so what type? I am going to recut the valves and did you replace them with lighter ones and stronger springs? Is it worth changing the hydraulic lifters and push rods?'

Thank you for helping me understanding the top end rebuild for my baby!
Josh

bigblaze
09-22-2012, 04:59 PM
I have the 1250 kit from nrhs and stage 2 head work. Bike runs very strong. You also want the cams that came stock in the 98 s1w or a cam with a simular cut. Performance wise I run 11.7 @115 in the quarter mile. Smoke xb's all day long. Call and talk to Dan at nrhs performance.

JoshBiz
04-19-2013, 07:53 AM
BigBlaze Thanks for the info last year! I did order Dan's 1250 kit with the cams and had him do the heads and valves. I have it back together but still breaking it in so I haven't really got on it!
I am looking for some maps. I don't have a user name for BuelletinBoard.com they do have the maps on there site.
Can someone on this forum let me know if they have the Maps for a 1999 X1?
Thanks.

buellxb9rs
04-19-2013, 09:33 AM
You would have to tune to get the maps right, you can find race and stock ones but usually not big bore

sparky300
04-19-2013, 12:22 PM
You'll need custom maps/tuning. Talk to Max at the Tuniversity (http://www.thetuniversity.com/) or Mike at Xopti (http://xoptiinside.com/)

JoshBiz
04-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Great thank you
If I wanted to put the race map in the computer does someone have that map or is everything self configured meaning that I download and save my map then I go in and adjust my map to being a race map?
But I will try to contact those two guys you recommended Sparky300 Thanks for your help!

vtech007
04-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Can you please quote the prices you paid for all the above mentioned kits and services? I am extremely interested in performing these uogrades but just wondering financially what we are looking at. Thanks !

Internet Annoyance
04-19-2013, 02:00 PM
that would be good to see as well, now that its together, what did it cost, how well did it go, and i realize you dont have it tuned yet, but when you do, your impressions and a report on how well it went,, feedback like this is very helpful to others.

JoshBiz
04-19-2013, 02:08 PM
I went with Hammer performance. http://hammerperf.com/
The kit I got was 1200$ but I had a lot more done so it cost me a few hundred more. You can get these kits cheaper but it is not worth it. Dan does such a nice job with everything, making sure the piston's are even set in the cylinders so you don't have to do too much when your putting it together. Also I sent him my heads and they looked amazing once I got them back! I had him put in the bigger valves with the bigger and lighter springs and bigger cams! I was very happy with his work and the time he spent on the phone with me as well as every little question I had while I was putting it back together. Truly an Artist with these motors. He new the compression with the gaskets he sent and the longer pushrods for each valve. A real Class act!
If you have any doubts just give the few companies a call and Dan will make up your mind for you! I did call a few companies and Dan just knew what was going on. I am sure some of the other companies do as well but the day I called I just found Dan was the one I wanted to go with.
He even fixed a broken exhaust stud for me and it looked better than new!
Just make sure when you do the 1250 kit you get everything you want because its already apart also each part has to work withy the other so do it once!
I hope this helps,
Josh

vtech007
04-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Thank you - that is very helpful.