PDA

View Full Version : Bad Running Uly /// Culprit Found...

thewanmanrules
08-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Well a couple of days ago, my Uly started mis-Behaving, electrical issues, headlight blowing out, hard to start, and spitting/coughing when it was first started.... the culprit... a 2006 Harley Battery... in a 2006... The PO stated it had been replaced...

So after a couple days of playing with Fuses, Cleaning Connectors, Checking all of my grounds, a new Voltage Regulator, TPS Reset, and then finally a new Lithium Ion battery, She is back to her old self... Doing Wheelies, Roasting the inside of my Thigh again... and naturally pissing off every Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki...and Some Guy on a Ducati Multi-Strada...

I have no idea what I would have done without the help of some really great troubleshooting post on this forum...

A Big Thank you goes out to all the folks on Buell Forum...

thewanmanrules
08-21-2012, 01:24 AM
THE ORIGINAL BATTERY FROM 2006...

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/14280_20120820191925_L.jpg

06xbss
08-21-2012, 04:11 AM
Still running the orignal 2006 battery in my XB12Ss, 24,000 miles, no problems. Is this rare ???

thewanmanrules
08-21-2012, 05:44 AM
I would say so... I have never had a battery last more than 2 years.... But, I do ride all of my bikes... Bought this one for 3K, with 4Kmiles, 2 months ago, and now just turned 17K...

user_deleted
08-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Still running the orignal 2006 battery in my XB12Ss, 24,000 miles, no problems. Is this rare ???

i would venture to say so. seems that regardless of battery mfg. normal life expectancy in any buell XB is about 3-4 seasons. they get pretty damn hot under these seats and the vibration and shaking inherent in a Buell doesn't add to their longevity either.

FLHP
08-21-2012, 02:46 PM
I've got the original in my 2007 XB12X, but I'm guessing it's time to go. I usually get around four years in my Harley. Usually you don't get any warning, they just crap out and leave you somewhere.

snrusnak
08-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Heat kills batterys. They say for cars 2-3 years is normal life. For bikes it's usually longer because often they are stored inside, and they are used less.

Keeping the battery on a trickle charger helps prolong life as well.

My 1996 suzuki still had the original battery when I bought it ~2008ish. Still had it when I sold it too in 2010. Started strong, had like 30k miles on the bike IIRC. Always stored indoor and on a trickle charger (PO said so as well).

My father in law recently replaced the battery in his SV1000(I think it's like a 2005 model or so). He had like 60k+ miles on it and it was starting weak so he replaced it before getting stranded.

My 2005 buell was stored outside by the PO, not maintained on a charger, and it died when I went to buy it. The guy started it up, pulled it out of the parking garage, shut it off, and it wouldn't start again. This was about 2 years ago.

WIGGLE2
08-21-2012, 06:01 PM
and the vibration and shaking inherent in a Buell

typhoon
08-26-2012, 03:32 AM
I just replace my factory battery on my 2007 Ulysses last week with 25,890 miles on it. I bought the harley battery again, because they seem to last a long time from what I had seen and a trickle charge does help allot. It was getting slow cranking on that first stroke so I used my volt meter on record to see how low it was getting. It was down to 7.5 volts and the new one stays above 10 volts, so it was time.

thewanmanrules
08-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Well... The issues continue... After New Battery, for like less than 2 weeks... I am out after midnight on a 2 am, ride... Both Head Light Blow... Checked all the grounds, It appears to be the Stator... (MultiMeter shows grounded... Which is a Bad thing, plus when I opened the primary adjustment hole, I now know what burned up stator smells like...)

So the Question... I got the Clutch Nut Broken Loose... I have tried damn near everything on the crankshaft in a attempt to get it break loose to no avail.
Anyone got any ideas? I am following the steps in the manual and also reviewing the write up from one of post here in the forum... I am hoping to have another pair of hands in the morning to assist... The next idea is Impact, (issue there is I do not own one yet... )

If that fails, I guess it may have to go to the dealer...

djohnk
08-30-2012, 06:38 AM
Use a cheater bar with at least a 3 foot handle ... that nut is tight. It's right-hand threaded so loosen that one by turning counter-clockwise. Make sure you wedge something between the gears. I used half of a 4" brass door hinge from Lowes. When you install it make sure you torque it to spec.

user_deleted
08-30-2012, 12:03 PM
manrules: clutch hub bearing LEFT hand thread...front compensator sprocket bearing RIGHT hand thread just to confirm this for you. i've never seen either a front or rear nut that won't come loose with 125psi or more of air driving a 1/2 inch impact gun. you have access to this equipment? brass hinge like djohnk mentioned above not a bad idea OR anything brass. you want to use a soft metal if you do this.

thewanmanrules
08-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Thank you folks... I am going to hit it with Air/Impact tonight... Yes I am turning it the correct direction..

thewanmanrules
08-31-2012, 02:14 AM
Check this out... For a guy that has some mechanical skills... Here it is... BTW... LOWES Kobalt 1/2 18V Lithium Impact Tool... Good ... No... Great Idea... Also the Brass door hinge... Excellent..

Here is the burnt spot... Damn did this ever cause some havoc for like 3 weeks....

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/14280_20120830201142_L.jpg

thewanmanrules
08-31-2012, 02:16 AM
Oh, if any of you Indy Buell'rs have an issue, Please PM me... I am willing to help...

thewanmanrules
08-31-2012, 04:33 AM
Got another issue... In an attempt to pull the stator bolts, 1 of the heads is stripped... So now tomorrow I have to get an extraction bit. Another thing that was noted... 2 of the 4 bolts were barely tight... They also had no thread locker on them... I am wondering if the vibration caused the stator to die...

djohnk
08-31-2012, 09:21 AM
That looks just like my stator did when I had to replace it.

Go back to Lowes. Purchase a brand new small vice grips (new because it will still have very sharp teeth). Bring one of those bolts with you so you pick one that will work good. I bet it will get that bolt easily for you.

I don't remember for sure, but I think the service manual says you are supposed to use new stator bolts.

WIGGLE2
08-31-2012, 12:07 PM
^^[up]
Good advise!

user_deleted
08-31-2012, 01:34 PM
OR since metal shavings aren't a problem just grind a slot in the head of the bolt with either matabo tool or air grinder with thin grinding pad in it. then take your harbor freight impact driver with straight slot bit in it, make sure it's on CC setting, and give it a tap with hammer. cap bolt will come right out. and YES...replace all those bolts and use blue loc-tite on reinstall.

thewanmanrules
08-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Yep... Bolts will be replaced with new ones...

Sirius815
08-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Ouch! That coil's burned to a crisp! Glad you found your problem!

LionBuell
08-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Hi thewanman. Have not been on for a while and the first post I open is yours, and guess what same problem as you! After 3months stil have not found the problem! I am ready to push my pride and joy off a cliff.... The only fortune I did not have was that my lights did not blow. Spitting coughing and Backfire is the order of the day. Changed all the relevant sensors no change tps reset no change . New battery no change. Fuell pump seals and pressure cheked no change. Stator rewind only change is the problem whent from 2500 rpm to 1500 to 2000. But there was an improvement it happens less often now What gets me is the bike pulls strong as hell under acceleration but light throttle causes all the issues. My last resort is to have the ecu remapped to see if it goes away. Oh and for good measure i see oil from the front shock yesterday. Could one of you highly skilled guys give me a new direction? Please? Pretty please? Thewanman I hope your problem is solved.
Sorry had to vent...[mad]

thewanmanrules
09-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Update from first ride... Holy crap what a difference a healthy charging system makes... One note to make, I did do a TPS reset before taking the bike out... The idea was the thing set for almost a week with no Battery while all this maintenance was performed.

Things to note... I decided while all this was going on and waiting parts, each time I had a few spare minutes from the 190 hours of work for the last 2 weeks, I spent some time reading all the wiring diagrams in my maintenance Book. I then checked damn near every wire on this bike. My multimeter got one hell of workout.

Parts that were replaced...
New Stator
New Voltage Regulator
New Alt
New Clutch.
New washers, nuts for Clutch
New Primary Chain Adjustment Shoe/Tensor
All new seals
Oil Change
I spent about 650.00 just in parts... Dealer quote for all this was over 1600.00..
The biggest plus was that I actually learned quite a bit...

A big thankyou goes out to all the folks on this forum...

unlucky1
05-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Nice. I replaced the original bar and shield battery in my 2006 this February. Was surprised it lasted so long, especially since I don't use a tender and the bike has 48,000 miles.

88b
05-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Update from first ride... Holy crap what a difference a healthy charging system makes... One note to make, I did do a TPS reset before taking the bike out... The idea was the thing set for almost a week with no Battery while all this maintenance was performed.

Things to note... I decided while all this was going on and waiting parts, each time I had a few spare minutes from the 190 hours of work for the last 2 weeks, I spent some time reading all the wiring diagrams in my maintenance Book. I then checked damn near every wire on this bike. My multimeter got one hell of workout.

Parts that were replaced...
New Stator
New Voltage Regulator
New Alt
New Clutch.
New washers, nuts for Clutch
New Primary Chain Adjustment Shoe/Tensor
All new seals
Oil Change
I spent about 650.00 just in parts... Dealer quote for all this was over 1600.00..
The biggest plus was that I actually learned quite a bit...

A big thankyou goes out to all the folks on this forum...

So apart from saving $950 you learnt a lot , pleased you got it fixed.