PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level ?

stevensue
04-30-2007, 03:40 AM
I had the 1000 mile service done at the dealer I bought the bike from. Had them use dino oil. $220, fortunately the dealer gives a $50 discount on any service and I used that, so it was only $170.

When I took the bike in, the service manager and I went over what was to be done. Basically the standard 1000 mile service. He said three quarts of oil, filter, primary oil and adjust, etc. After service rode the bike home and to work and back today. Total of 150 miles on since the service.

When I got home I checked the oil [confused] It was at the very top of the hole, all the way up the dipstick :o I checked it the right way, so it was hot/warm. Nice ride home, 45 miles, bike on level garage floor, on the side stand. I Mighty Vaced 12-13 ounces out right away and the level was just under the overfull mark.

Could they have put the full 3 quarts in? Rather than 2.5 quarts? I did read the manual! With the bike up right rather than the on the side stand would it have read OK? I am definitely calling the service manager Tuesday after work!!

I will ride to work and home tomorrow and recheck the level.

The manual says about sucking oil up the intake (basically). With 150 miles ran on it over filled, what should I check? What are the chances of any damage done?

I am definitely doing my own service myself from now on :D

Steve

2Evil4U
04-30-2007, 12:21 PM
The tards probably did go with the 3qt rather than check it properly. I wouldn't worry about any damage. You didn't ride it long enough to cause any. Only thing I'd do is pop the air cleaner cover off and see if there is a significant amount of blow by from the PCV vent tubes near the throttle body. Clean that up and you should be good to go.

stevensue
04-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks, I'll check the PCV vent tubes and surrounding areas. I didn't think I had put enough miles on to do any damage, but I wanted to check and make sure. This is my first Harley type engine.

I did check the oil again after getting home from work today. And it was Okay, right in the same spot as yesterday. I'll check the other items after mowing grass :( Thanks again.

HOVERJOCKI
05-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Hi
Just curious what you eventually paid for your service? Was it just $170? as i have just taken mine in for its 1000 mile service and i am going to be charged $325 and thats the Harley dealer here in Vegas.

stevensue
05-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Yes, it was $170. When I bought the bike they gave a coupon for $50 off any service, 20% of any clothes purchase, 15% of parts/accessories over $150, and a 1 year HOG membership. I used the $50 off for my 1K service.

Break down on the 1K service:

2 drain plug o-rings - .50
1 clutch cover gasket - 2.25
1 inspection cover gasket - 1.25
1 oil filter - 6.95
3 quarts 20W50 oil - 14.85
1 quart formula+ oil - 6.95
1 shoulder screw - 2.95
2.9 hours labor @ 60/hr - 174.00
shop supplies - 5.00
coupon discount - (50.00)
tax - 2.93
Total - $167.63
Without the discount it would have been $217.63

That was with dino oil, Synthetic would have been $15 more. Before having them do the service I called another nearby Harley dealer and they quoted me $220 with synthetic and 200 with dino. So not much difference. I was surprised that labor was only $60/hour. (Though they only had it in for 1hr and 45 min and still charged the 2.9 hours) The local Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Yamaha shops all charge $65/ hour. Go figure.

You'll have to check the break-down above why they are charging $325. Maybe the taxes are higher in Las Vegas [smirk]

Good Luck, Steve

HOVERJOCKI
05-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi Steve.
I think the labour here is $85-90hr so they already quoted me $325... from what i have heard from mates with harleys its worth the money.
Appreciate the info.