PDA

View Full Version : V&H SS2R Rattle

matt87951
08-31-2012, 02:38 AM
I've done some searching, but can't find an answer to my question, so here I am opening another thread.

Does anyone know what is rattling inside a 2.5" SS2R V&H pipe for an M2 Cyclone? I am trying to figure out if I should just deal with the rattle for a while, or if I should break down and drill out the rivets, and open it up and see what is wrong.

If it's a known issue, or something in particular that goes bad inside of them, what do I need to buy or do to get it fixed? I really don't want to miss out on anymore riding than I already have this year, but depending on what might need to be done with the V&H pipe to stop it from rattling, I might not have a choice.

The previous owner says the header is the same for the stock muffler, and the SS2R on the 2002 M2 - can anyone confirm that? I would be just as happy putting the stock back on for the time being, but during a quick test fit of it today, it appeared that the header was about 1-2" short for it to fit without leaking.

Any ideas would be helpful. I am trying to get the bike back on the road tomorrow to finally get it registered and get some riding in before the hurricane weather reaches us up here in Ohio.

Thanks!
-Matt

Phlegm420
08-31-2012, 06:37 AM
You should be able to use an allen wrench to take out the screws at the end of the exhaust. You'll pull off the end cap and prolly notice that the baffle has come unwelded from the two end pieces. Have someone spot weld the endcap(s) back on to the baffles, repack with http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/5927.html and you're good to go. You don't even really need the packing, it will be just a little louder.

matt87951
08-31-2012, 01:18 PM
You should be able to use an allen wrench to take out the screws at the end of the exhaust. You'll pull off the end cap and prolly notice that the baffle has come unwelded from the two end pieces. Have someone spot weld the endcap(s) back on to the baffles

Thanks, I opened it up and everything came right out. It's hard to tell if any welds broke free, but the entire baffle was loose. I guess I'll drill out the rivets and see what might have came loose on that side.

Any ideas on the headers for the M2? The previous owner (Original Owner) swears that the header was not changed when he added the V&H pipe. When I hold the V&H up to the stock pipe however, the V&H is a good 2" longer than the stock pipe, which makes sense why the V&H's fits fine, but the stock muffler isn't long enough attach all the way onto the header (The slits in the end are open to the air, I can't slide it far enough onto the header based on where the mounting brackets are). Could I have the header might installed / angled wrong then? Could it be off that far to make up for an extra 2" or so of pipe?

Thanks!
-Matt

1 Leg
09-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Had the same problem on my 99 X1. Removed the end cap mad the problem was the inlet end was not on correctly. Seated properly and all was good.