PDA

View Full Version : I want an XB9, but are owners satisfied and are they worth it?

jcport
04-30-2007, 04:56 AM
howdy -
I'm about to graduate from Texas A&M university. for graduation I want to buy a new or pre-owned Buell XB9. I've taken the AMA course, and my dad owns 3 harleys. I don't like the extremely heavy weight the harleys pack, and I love the way the buell sits under me.

my questions are:
are you owners satisfied?

is the bike hard to maintain other than normal maint?

have you had any 'big' problems that might have been manufacturer fault?

What is a good price for a bike about 2 years old, considering normal mileage?

I'm curious, because per American dad rules, I'm not allowed to ride a jap bike, and the Buells just look freaking hot.

thanks for any comments

-John

heavymetal
04-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Love mine. I paid 9000 for a new 06. Ride it 50 miles to work and back. Wouldn't ride anything else. No problems yet but I have a 2 year warranty which is better than what Suzuki offered unless I wanted to pay more. Every where I go I get looks. By far the coolest on the street.

mrdozer2you
04-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Ditto...I ride an 06 Lightning 12ss and I paid $7k with tax title everything. As far as manufacturer defects I would look for an 06 or later. People complain about breaking belts on anything earlier. But I guess it depends on how you ride as to how they hold up.

06xb9r
04-30-2007, 11:14 PM
I ride an 06 Firebolt XB9R and paid around $10k with financing and everything. Its amazing! Its just like Mr. Buell said himself, When you climb on your Buell, the line between man and machine gets a little fuzzy! They really do OWN the corners!

MrOrange
05-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Love the 03 Buell XB9s that I have. I scored it a few months ago for $4K with only 400mi on it. I have ridden 2k miles since and have had no problems. I would suggest to install the race ECM, new hi-po exhaust, and open up the air box if that has not been done. The XB really handles well, check out the articles about it on the Internet. All reviews that I read stated that not many bikes can match the XB's maneuvering performance.

burgsbike
05-16-2007, 05:22 PM
I love the '04 XB12R that I found in '06 for $5K with 6500 miles and needing rubber. but all that I can add is to look hard and wide for yours, I looked for a year til this one came up.[up]

xtremelow
06-01-2007, 05:58 PM
I paid $4600 for my '03 XB9r with 9500 miles and, race kit, '04 mirrors, '04 pulleys, smoked windscreen 3"+, CF buckle gaurd,and a touring seat. Also it was an original owner who was 60yrs old and it had never been layed out. Runs great and I am very happy with it.

Brandon

yurka89
06-26-2007, 07:09 AM
I own xb9r, Corners are hard as hell. I used to own kawa 636 took corners like nothing on this its kind of a pain.

BuellPartsGuy
06-26-2007, 05:56 PM
yurka89, you need to pull up your skirt. Just my opinion.

devildog3042
11-05-2007, 01:09 AM
i am damn satisfied with my xb9r. look at a reply to a thread called why buy a firebolt xb12r instead of a ricer or some **** like that i just posted to get my whole story on how much i love my xb9r. ill just put it this way, i average 200+ miles a day because it is so much goddamn fun.

devildog3042
11-05-2007, 01:14 AM
btw, yurka89, your probably having problems cornering cuz you're used to leaning bikes that are really top-heavy. remember, the fuel is in the frame, the airbox is up top and the exhaust is on the bottom. it also only weighs in at 385. its a much lighter and shorter bike, and the center of gravity is much lower than on a jap bike.

Tork
11-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Yurka89, check your suspension settings and tire pressures.

sbkal07
11-15-2007, 08:13 PM
You're not allowed? Seriously, buy what you freakin want. You're an adult! :) I have had my '05 XB12R for about a year now and have no probs to report. I'm cleaning it up right now and have noticed very slight oil staining along the botom of the rear cylinder, but other than that, it rocks... Oh, I paid $5300 for it with 5600 miles on the clock. Buells are so affordable. Bonus. As for the suspension thing, I had to get used to my bike's tendency to want to stand up in a corner. I guess that's the nature of a V-twin, eh? My past Japanese sportbikes were incredible in the twisties, though my '02 GSXR 1000 took an entire riding season to get the suspension dialed in. My ZX9R and XB12R on the other hand, didn't take much adjustment over stock settings. I love when that happens! Less to fiddle with![up]

XBear9S
11-18-2007, 07:45 PM
-'03SXB9S a.k.a. "Pinga"
Never been happier than the day I bought her.
I've been just as happy EVERY DAY SINCE...

Cornering is what this bike does best!
Everyone tried to talk me into the XB12,
but I didn't want it and I'm MORE than happy w/my choice.
She's as aggresive as any bike I've ever owned,
and no one's EVER left me behind!
37k+ and she's still poppin' wheelies in first & second.

Maintenance is all but zero,
and if it wasn't for Harley Service Shops,
I'd have NO ISSUES whatsoever,
but here in Austin, thanx to Central Texas HD's need to expand,
we're getting the first Buell only dealership I've ever heard of.
So, what's to complain about???

That's right- A Buell dealership.
And next door they're opening a Ducati dealership.
Feel like moving to Texas yet???

Robtk! a.k.a. "SpecialK!"

"We wanna be free! We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. We wanna be free to ride. We wanna be free to ride our Buells without being hassled by The Man! ... And we wanna get loaded. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we are gonna do. We are gonna have a good time... We are gonna have a party...a wheelie party!"
--Heavenly Buells

BlueBolt
11-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Yurka,
Stop riding in straight lines and flattening out your tires. I have a 636 and an xb9r in my garage, nothing I've riden handles as well a the Buell.