PDA

View Full Version : New owner, need a little help

Animaniac
09-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Hey gang,

I just bought an '02 Blast and I'm having trouble getting it to stay running at idle. The previous owner had it stored for the past few months, but assured me it was running fine when it was parked, and all it needed was a new battery. So the first thing I did was replace the battery. When I try to start it up, it will idle for about 30 seconds and then die out unless I give it some throttle. Keeping it at a higher idle, it sounds like it's missing periodically.

I thought maybe it just needed to warm up, but today I ran it for about 10 minutes and no improvement. I took it out and rode it down the road and back, but as soon as I came back to idle, it died. What do you think is up?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

snrusnak
09-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I'd give it a full tune up. Plug and wire, battery(already done), fresh oils, and go through the carb.

It's likely the carb. I'm not real familiar with the blast though.

Animaniac
10-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Okay, I finally had some time to tinker with the bike. I changed the spark plug and wire, changed the oil, put fresh gas in, ran Seafoam through it, and I still can't get it to idle on its own. If I don't give it some throttle after about 20 seconds, it sputters and stalls. If I keep the throttle up, it will stay running, but misses every so often, and I can feel a kick in the airbox when it does.

After reading some other threads on here, I figured the next thing to try is the intake boot. I picked one up today, but I'm having some trouble getting the airbox bolts off. They're turning, but they seem to be just turning in place. Not to sound stupid, but is there a trick to it? I may not be a master mechanic, but I can usually handle loosening a bolt.

Also, does it sound like the boot is the problem, or is the carb gummed up?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Animaniac
10-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

cgborders
10-09-2012, 04:45 PM
New to the Blast but worked on lost of other bikes, sounds more like idle circuit of carb that intake boot. I'd pull the carb and clean it. Replace the pilot jet while your in there (about $4 at Harley dealer) and washer under the needle.

buellbradski
10-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Start simple clean the carbs. Years back my xgf had a blast that wouldnt idle well . Right from new, dealer couldnt find any problem never solved it untill she sold it to a freind who found it was a kinked gas tank vent line. You could check for that but sounds to me like cloged jets from sitting.

Rhino1
10-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Yup. Clean the carb thoroughly, then make sure all of the old gasoline is gone. Sea foam isn't really a substitute for cleaning out the carb.

The carb is a very basic CV carb--if you aren't familiar with it, look online for a diagram and then go to town on it.

George
11-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Hi
I have a Buell Blast and a lot of trouble.I have changed the Piston .After I put the engine together it.s running very bad.No power .I changed also the enrichner. I am in germany and nobody can help me here.
Thank you
George