PDA

View Full Version : 2008 XB12 intake

RCNap12986
09-17-2012, 11:05 PM
I recently purchased a 2008 12R and I love it. I keep reading mixed reviews on mods, but I think I'm gonan move forward with them anyway.

The first thing I noticed was that the air scoop on the left side has no ram air function whatsoever... and the frame seems to block it. Why is that? Is the only air coming in throuigh the small hole by the fuel cap? That seems like a fairly big restriction. I plan on doing the airbox mod with the open element K&N filter, but I wanna know the best way to get fresh air under the airbox cover and directly to the filter.

Any suggestions you have are much appreciated!

XRorXB
09-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Nice bike. Which color scheme do you have?

Those left and right-side engine air scoops direct air towards the rear cylinder head for cooling. Even the small one on the right is functional.

As for the air intake, directly in the front of the plastic airbox cover is a screened area that serves as your fresh air intake (yes, by the fuel cap). The black airbox underneath has several cutout regions. Unless your going for maximum power at full throttle, just switching to a K&N filter is plenty to improve airflow. Depends on your goal I guess. Unless your street racing or going to the track or strip frequently, the stock airbox configuration is fine.

RCNap12986
09-18-2012, 12:52 AM
I have the Blue and White. very sharp bike... I love it.

Seems kinda crazy that little section is all it gets. From pictures I've seen it looks like the XB9 airbox uses that left side scoop as a little bit of a ram air. I would think that getting more fresh airflwo to the filter could help a lot. I always thought before I bought the bike that scoop was used somehow to feed the air intake as well.

Does the larger right side scoop help to cool the rear head at all, or does it more just even out the looks?

anrkizm95
09-18-2012, 12:54 AM
the stock airbox configuration is fine.[up]

I wanna know the best way to get fresh air under the airbox cover and directly to the filter.

http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/9006_CIA.html

RCNap12986
09-18-2012, 01:05 AM
That cover is awesome... but I'm not spending $400 on one hahaha.

Soo bad no one makes a clean 'scoop' that you would just need to cut into the cover to mount. Almost like those fake hood scoops everyone puts on trucks... but actually functional and maybe a little better looking :D

XRorXB
09-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Yeah, definitely a nice color combo!

The larger side scoop is considered the left side, actually - sitting on the bike :) It is a functional scoop for cooling that rear cylinder. Some claim that duplicating the scoop on the right side gives additional cooling, but I like to think Buell had a reason for using a shroud on the right side instead of a scoop. Just a guess though.

You've probably also noticed that the outer intake cover isn't exactly a sealed fit; air comes in through all those crevices around the edge.

RCNap12986
09-18-2012, 03:45 AM
The larger side scoop is considered the left side, actually - sitting on the bike It is a functional scoop for cooling that rear cylinder.

I know. When you look at the XB9 air box it has a little tibe that feeds into that scoop. It seems it is doubled as a ram air and a rear cylinder cooling scoop.

The right side scoop is the larger one that some people add... I believe they came on the 2007 and later x models? I could be wrong.

HangMan
09-18-2012, 02:29 PM
if it seems like it doubled as a ram air intake it is because it used to on the older models when they had a tube going through the frame into the air box which (anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong) i guess Erik Buell had originally intended to incorporate into some sort of turbo option

as for the larger right side scoop it's an aftermarket option but i can say it has definite noticeable improvements cooling wise, especially if you do a lot of street riding.