PDA

View Full Version : Blast won't start

rewind101
09-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Put the battery in my daughter's 03 Blast after storage. Fired up and went around the house a couple of times and stalled. Has not started again. What I have tried; swapped out old gas for fresh, cleaned n inspected carb. Put it back together and it fired and ran for maybe 3 seconds. Have spark but can't smell gas. She moved South last year and just wants me to sell it but I need to get it running. Any help will be appreciated.

XRorXB
09-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Hi, since it runs for a bit and then stops, check for fuel and vent-related causes first. When you had that carb open for cleaning and inspection, would gas freely flow when the float was down, and did it stop when the float was up? Did the float move freely?

Try running again with the gas cap loosened. Check that the float bowl is full of gas. Try both normal and reserve positions on the fuel petcock. If it won't even idle, the slow jet or enricher circuit could be clogged.

Have spark but can't smell gas
Where are you smelling for gas??

rewind101
09-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Didn't check to see gas flow and stop. Not sure how to check that. Float does move freely.
It will only run for seconds with starter fluid. Only tried that guaranteeing spark etc. Just pulled carb again and gas in lower end. I cleaned slow jet per service manual (a second time since I opened it back up). played with petcock position also. Do you think there is any chance the fuel strainer could be an issue? Fuel seems to flow fine when I open petcock to drain tank. I may pull and clean that anyway. Thanks for the reply by the way.

dimitry
10-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Any updates on this?