PDA

View Full Version : 2007 XB9SX: Preprogrammed Eric Buell Race ECM??

JohnLee1120
09-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Alright here's the deal. I have a 2007 XB9SX and I just finished replacing my old exhaust with a new D&D slip on. I have also replaced the stock air filter with the K&N High Flow Intake Filter. I did these mods on my own. I was curious to know whether or not it would be necessary to do an ECM retune, so I started doing some searches. Most people seem to recommend the Eric Buell Race ECMs. I'm not good with computer programs, so more specifically I have taken an interest in the Preprogrammed ECMs. I still don't know much about them or what the ordering and installation process is like. Maybe you guys could help me out.
1) With the mods I have put on my bike, is it necessary to retune or replace my ECM?
2) Has anyone had personal experience with the preprogrammed Eric Buell Race ECMs?
3) What is the ordering process for the preprogrammed ECMs?
4) Could I install it myself, or should I just bring it to my dealer?
5) What is a TPS reset and what does it entail?

Thanks guys. Any info helps!!

buellxb9rs
09-20-2012, 12:33 PM
I have a tune for that bike for a d&d. It won't be perfect for your bike. But it's much better that the race maps for it. And you can always log and tweak it a little further.

You do need to retune for your bike, or an ebr ECM. A tps reset is necessary with the ebr so a dealer or a cable will be needed

Retrax
09-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Pretty sure I have read here that if you get the pre-programmed ECM from ebr you can not do a tps re-set with ecmspy because it can't communicate with the ECM from Erik Buell. If that is true, you will have to go to the dealer for a TPS re-set.

ich
09-20-2012, 08:40 PM
you can not do a tps re-set with ecmspy because it can't communicate with the ECM from Erik Buell

this is bull****. ecmspy works fine with ebr ecms.

go cytocis
09-21-2012, 04:44 AM
EBR also informed me NOT to use Techno-research's software to do a TPS reset with their pre-prorammed ECM. I did it any way and it worked fine!

JohnLee1120
09-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Ok. This all helps so much! So, I think I have decided to go ahead and order the preprogrammed EBR ECM for my bike. I will install the ECM on my own, but I'm definitely going to bring my bike in to the dealer to do the TPS reset because they will only charge a half-hour labor fee. I appreciate the advice!

Retrax
09-21-2012, 01:49 PM
this is bull****. ecmspy works fine with ebr ecms.
Not my personal opinion, just passing on what I have read in several postings from others who have experienced problems with this. Here's just a few threads, call it bull**** if you wish.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/32777/685310.html?1346941586
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/help-ebr-race-ecm-and-tps-reset
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/Troubleshooting/ECMspy-corrupted-New-Race-Ecm-

ich
09-21-2012, 10:18 PM
i did it. so why should i care about some internet babble?

BuellyBagger
09-22-2012, 02:55 AM
i did reset on EBR ecm with EcmSpy as well, no prob[cool] been very happy with the ECM. I'm sure its not the perfect tuning set up, but its def. better than the stock one.