PDA

View Full Version : Potentially an issue with the 'das boot'

cleve_thumper
09-30-2012, 02:16 AM
Hey all Buell enthusiasts! I am a new member here and a fan of the brand, however my enthusiasm for the Buell Blast is quickly falling by the wayside.

I recently purchased a 2001 Buell Blast with under 5,000 miles. It has been giving me issues which seem to be related to DAS BOOT, however I believe I have exhausted all attempts at repairing the issue (in accordance to the boot).

I tried tightening the stock boot, purchasing a new one, purchasing a super boot, buying higher quality hose clamps, cleaning the carb and engine intake lips, and even wrapping the lips in electrical tape to promote grip. Nothing seems to provide any sort of sustainable result.

It will ride fine after I reattach it, but after riding then letting the bike sit, it goes back to acting up. It stutters, backfires, looses power, has inconsistent throttle gain, stalls, and idles slightly weak. When it stalls, I have to let it sit for a moment before it will restart again. All of these symptoms seem to point to the boot, but I've tried (what seems to be) everything to try and resolve these issues.

The fact that it will run fine for a while, then start acting up again leads me to believe that the boot keeps coming loose, but the connection visually appears to remains sold.

I am half tempted to sell this bike as a mechanics special if this persists and I can't fix it myself.

Perhaps somebody here might be able to guide me in the right direction. Thank you greatly in advance for any advice!

XRorXB
10-01-2012, 01:51 AM
Have you tried using propane to confirm if there truly is a leak in the intake path?

cleve_thumper
10-01-2012, 02:25 AM
I haven't as I don't have a propane torch, but I could probably borrow one. I've tried water in a spray bottle but didn't hear a change in idle. Do any of these symptoms relate to another potential issue apart from the boot?

Thanks

dimitry
10-01-2012, 10:00 PM
This is exactly the issues I'm having. Bike runs more or less fine (with some inconsistencies like you mention) but after sitting for a while, issues act up - loss of power (esp in 1st gear), backfires...

My boot is brand new. My guess is there's still a leak, but perhaps elsewhere? Bike only has 2500 miles (2005 year) and hasn't had any of these issues until this season.

cleve_thumper - let me know if you stumble upon anything more concrete please!

Ctessmer
01-28-2013, 08:53 PM
I started working on a friend's Blast and i now wish i had never messed with the pos. I have been working on bikes, rebuilding and sync-ing carbs, etc, etc, since i was old enough to hold a wrench and this thing makes me want to roll it into the lake. I have dipped and cleaned the carb, set the tps as per factory manual instructions, checked for intake leaks, etc. Someone has already installed the superboot. I can get it to fire and respond (sort of) to throttle but it quickly loses fuel. I have a remote gas tank hooked directly to the carb and the float is set correctly. While im revving it, gas vapors are spraying out of the rear of the carb. Once it begins to lose fuel, i can put my hand over the rear of the carb and it picks up fuel again but i end up with an excessive amount of fuel on my hand. This is the symptom it displayed which caused my friend to bring it to me. She said fuel poured out of the air cleaner. I'm stumped on this bike and for what the cause may be. It looks like it may have the wrong carb on it as their is an accelerator pump shaft sticking out of the side of the carb, horizontally, where the pump linkage would be on a harley, but the housing where the pump diapragm would be has no holes which would normally go into the carb body. Someone else (supposed to be a harley mechanic) had it apart and i received it in pieces. Im about to give it back like it is just to get it out of my garage. I have yet to check compression but it sounds decent. It seems to pull vacuum. Is the original emission return tube on the side of the carb supposed to be plugged if there is no charcoal canister on it anymore? It's capped off. Any insight would be much appreciated. My last question is: wth was Eric Buell thinking when he put his name on this junky little bike?

bonson
01-28-2013, 09:54 PM
I am brand new to all this but I was reading in the manual that in 49 states there is no charcoal canister adn that its capped off.. You can guess Calif is the one that has that. Right now mine is startting and dies when you give it throttle