PDA

View Full Version : where is my oil going?

yellow9R
05-02-2007, 07:21 PM
I just did an oil change to synthetic about 1400 kms ago. I checked my oil today hot after a ride home from work and my oil is off scale low. there are no obvious signs of leaking, I'm not putting out any smoke. so where is it going? any ideas?

also as an aside since i got the bike every time i take the airbox apart the area inside the filter where the breather tubes are is always covered in oil. i have since done the open airbox mod and have a clear cover over the airbox and every time i take a look the plastic is covered in oil. is this normal?

thanks for your help.

v12tiger
05-03-2007, 12:46 AM
Sounds like you answered your own question! It's normal but probably not that much... Any techs out there know the truth ?

Maybe you're filling it with too much oil, I think I read 2.5 qrts is correct(don't know if its different for 9/12), but even some techs were putting in 3 by mistake..

mezap
05-03-2007, 01:35 AM
Sounds like your valve seals are leaking. How many miles do you have, did you get the bike new, did you break it in, did you follow the manual breaking it in, and is it still under warranty?

yellow9R
05-03-2007, 10:37 AM
7400 km, bike was new, break was done correctly and the bike is less than a year old so i would say the warranty is still good.

CanadianBuell
05-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Valve seals would be better indicated by looking at the spark plugs for excessive carbon or wetness, it would not however explain the splashing of oil up into the airbox. I know there is an oil catch can available for the Buells which requires the rerouteing of the vent hoses to near the oil cooler and the obvious plugging of the existing holes. Why the need for such a part? I don't know. The oil is pumped to the head covers and perhaps at or near redline the pump is over acting. One other thing I would do is check your exhaust for heavier than usual carbon or again wetness. Good luck.

yellow9R
05-05-2007, 05:52 PM
canadianbuell you don't know jack, and stop touching my exhaust, your a chump!!!!

CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMP!!!!

CanadianBuell
05-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Your bike is yellow because it's a lemon!!! I'm sick of trying to help you squeeze what little juice it has out of it. It's spitting oil cause you make it sick with your old lady driving. Don't crash tonight foo.

ogri
05-07-2007, 02:05 PM
moderate oil usage is normal for big air colled bike engines with high compression.

Maybe the bike is burning just about 150 to 200ml per 1000 km - that is less than 8% of the oil. That's not much. Many old air colled Kawasakis and Katanas burned oil and even the book says its ok.

My bike uses oil - about 100ml per 1000km - I just fill her up and ride.

If you know your bike well you will immediately see oil burning and down on power or foiled plugs if it was rings or valve seals or the like.

The air cooled bikes running compression in excess of 9:1 will use oil. There is a lot of gas and heat in the engine spashing around at a hell of a speed. some does turn into foam ane spray and is sucked up through the air box and burned with the petrol gas.

Or is blown out through the cranc breather when hot and everything is under pressure.

I would not worry too much. Hell its a BUELL its as strong as a bloody DIESEL tracktor ;)

maybebuell
05-08-2007, 12:11 AM
check you primary oil see if its over full if so..motor oil could be leaking through cases at the bearing