PDA

View Full Version : Hey Buell XB, can we flag spam?

thumpin1203
10-10-2012, 09:34 PM
A "flag" button somewhere to rid the unwanted posts like craigslist would be cool.. like 10 member flags.. GONE

What would be the harm? would it incite more spam, knowing 10 would open the post to do so? I dunno' what do you think..

JOEL9
10-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me, but maybe more like 5 flags. who are the mods now anyways? dave, xtremelow, stephenc150, who else? i don't see them hardly anymore.

Radiati0n
10-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Agreed. I can't be the only one tired of seeing those stupid golf posts and coat ads...just annoying and a waste of space.

thumpin1203
10-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Hey Joel.. yeah, 5 would even be better.. less hope for exposure to their useless jibberish.. what's the point anyway.. I just don't get it

who are the mods now anyways?

Hopefully they are all out riding, lol.. but yeah, I haven't seen em' on here in awhile.. they might show up soon tho, weathers set to turn ...and the forum gets busy come wintertime!

just annoying and a waste of space

You got that right RadiatiOn!

nikfleisch
10-10-2012, 11:33 PM
How about after like 3 members with 200 posts or more. That'd be an awesome spam removal tool!

raz65man
10-11-2012, 05:37 AM
I realize what I'm going to suggest is a pain in the ass for the mods, but here it goes. All new members should be required to respond to a questionnaire email. Basic profile info plus what kind of bike they own, what type of riding they enjoy, and maybe even a Buell trivia question. This will accomplish 2 things:1) Weed out computer generated spam and even those that deem it too much effort; 2) provide other members with basic info.
I find myself going to a persons profile to see what state they are in or what model/year Buell they have , only to find out they didn't or wouldn't take the time to just put some basic stuff in their profile.
Quite a few of the other forums I frequent have the email/personal approval and there is virtually no spam whatsoever on those forums.
Just my .02
Raz

WALLSXB
10-11-2012, 05:58 AM
Why not just ignore the spammers? It doesn't take any effort to scroll right past the spam and just not read it. Just saying.

raz65man
10-11-2012, 06:49 AM
You have a valid point WALLSXB, but they are getting sneekier with thread titles that lead you to believe it is a legit post/thread. We have paying sponsors that provide products and services for us (the Buell community), there posts infringe on that.
Plus I have noticed a direct corrulation between post frequency of veteran members vs the onset of all this spam. I know I get tired of having to weed through all the spam. The other Buell forums have less trafic, but at least you know when you click on a thread it's not going to be an add for golf shoes.
Raz

konarider94
10-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Hopefully they are all out riding, lol..¬* but yeah, I haven't seen em' on here in awhile..¬* they might show up soon tho, weathers set to turn¬* ¬* ¬*...and the forum gets busy come wintertime!

i know at least 2 of them dont have motorcycles anymore.

freak2180
10-11-2012, 07:32 AM
i know at least 2 of them dont have motorcycles anymore.

Very true...

onelogue
10-11-2012, 10:15 AM
^^^^ Yup die hard Buell fans ..... I'll never sell my Buell for another brand. That is why im running for election as new MOD 2013 :)

2004xb12s
10-11-2012, 10:35 AM
That is why im running for election as new MOD 2013

Same. I will never get rid of my Buell and since I'm only 22 that will be a long time. haha. I'd love to help out a forum I frequent so much. Just not sure how you get picked for something like that.

freak2180
10-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Just not sure how you get picked for something like that.

Not sure either....

thumpin1203
10-11-2012, 11:58 AM
I'll never sell my Buell for another brand. That is why im running for election as new MOD 2013
ONELOGUE.. RJ, I was going to nominate you! :D seriously, ..I'm glad you piped-up and eliminated any doubt you would want to be one.. you're a perfect candidate!

thumpin1203
10-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Good grief.. another evening of weeding through the spam posts..

wifarmboy
10-12-2012, 08:00 PM
I hate SPAM I don't get y guys pretty much stick up for it...maybe there's a back story..eh eh. I got told to get over it pretty much but I'm w/ you get flag or just get rid of ceming and make a security question

freak2180
10-12-2012, 08:42 PM
It's getting pretty sad.....

thumpin1203
10-12-2012, 08:57 PM
(By Raz65man).. All new members should be required to respond to a questionnaire email. Basic profile info plus what kind of bike they own, what type of riding they enjoy, and maybe even a Buell trivia question. This will accomplish 2 things:1) Weed out computer generated spam and even those that deem it too much effort; 2) provide other members with basic info. Quite a few of the other forums I frequent have the email/personal approval and there is virtually no spam whatsoever on those forums. I know I get tired of having to weed through all the spam. The other Buell forums have less traffic, but at least you know when you click on a thread it's not going to be an add for golf shoes.

Pretty good idea.. BuellXB, are ya' listening? we're all here for our Buells, not coats and clubs...

squidbuellie
10-12-2012, 10:22 PM
This would be a bad idea...

ONELOGUE.. RJ, I was going to nominate you! seriously, ..I'm glad you piped-up and eliminated any doubt you would want to be one.. you're a perfect candidate!
I feel a Spider-Man quote....."with great power comes great responsibility"

thumpin1203
10-12-2012, 10:55 PM
It's getting pretty sad....
Almost to the point of being embarrassing..

buellxb
10-13-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm listening. Great ideas. I personally get on here and delete spam multiple times per week. I generally use the search function to find common terms used in spam and delete it. I also ban members and IPs that spam. In addition I've paid our developer to implement anti spam features that prevent bots from spamming without making it harder for real Buell enthusiasts to sign on. I would add more mods, but I have to pay a programmer every time I set a new mod and generally I always get complaints in PMs after the fact. "Why did you let him be a mod? He's an ass." or "So and so would have been a much better mod." If I pay to set a mod(s) up I have to pay to revoke their status. I'm going to start a new thread that I expect to run for a couple weeks to nominate new mods. People should nominate or make a direct pitch for themselves. Then I'll add some more to help out.

thumpin1203
10-13-2012, 12:27 PM
BuellXB, first off.. thank you for this forum, and above all, your time and efforts.. this is truly a GREAT resource.. one you can be proud of and fun for all..
Hey, it's good to hear you have the wheels in motion to alleviate the current spam dilemma.. I'll agree, moderator presence and interaction is important to this (and/or any) forum.. albeit somewhat costly, it looks like from what I see, a "good opportunity" to select a couple of dedicated individuals.. this should be priority one, imho :) we'll be waiting patiently for the process to begin.

A quick shout-out to the current and past mods, big thanks for all your work, input and dedication.. we enjoy, and have appreciated it!

life happens..

thump

thrstrmech
10-28-2012, 08:30 AM
I addressed the spam issue last month...

here (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Technical-Issues-with-the-Forum/New-Forum-Moderators-Announced/2/)

[up][up][up]to admin/mods for your efforts