PDA

View Full Version : Open air box install questions

Roofer Pat
10-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm installing the open air box kit from American sport bike on my 2009 xb12scg....
The previous owner installed a D&D pipe and had disconnected the exhaust valve cable but the wires that plug into the servo unit are still in place. There is no mention of what to do with the plug now that the servo will no longer be on the bike. Do I just leave it there? Or is there some type of connector that tricks the computer into believing that the servo is still in place? I'm stumped.
Strange that the last owner did the d&d pipe and installed EBR ECM but didn't bother to do the air box mod.
I'm hoping that, after TPS reset, the bike will run much better with less popping on deceleration....
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

freak2180
10-19-2012, 02:57 PM
If you have a EBR ecm just take the servo off and tuck the wires away in a safe place. The jury is still out on weather or not the open airbox really does much more than just add noise......Thats why he prob left it alone. Not to mention....If you dont hack up the air box and use the air diverter that hepls funnel air into the Velocity stack then you are effectivly taking away from the over all efficency of the intake system. Unless you have MAJOR mods done to the motor I very seriously doubt that the airbox lid is in any way Hampering your bikes ability to breath adequetly.

squidbuellie
10-19-2012, 03:09 PM
If you chase the exhaust servo plug back to the main wiring harness there is another plug that you can disconnect and remove that whole wire. The plug is under the seat on the left side of the bike. You will have to remove and replace one zip tie.

freak2180
10-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Nice to know Squid! I will pull mine when I install my race ECM next week

Roofer Pat
10-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. Nice day here so I'm taking her out.....

Roofer Pat
10-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Took the bike out for almost 100 miles today. Seems to be running very well. I didn't really notice an increase in intake noise...
Thanks again