PDA

View Full Version : oil sludge??

ten96
11-29-2008, 11:42 PM
I just changed the oil in the wife's '05 Blast for the winter. This is the first time I've changed it since buying it back in the summer. The guy we bought it from said they bought it from a dealer used from the rider education classes. Not sure when the oil was last changed but he said it had been taken to the dealer for the appropriate check-ups.

Okay, now to today. Changed the oil and upon removing the breather tube plug there was a white sludge that looked like thick snot inside the tube. Is this normal or is there an issue that I need to have looked at?

The bike runs fine and we've not had any issues with it whatsoever. It's only got around 3000-4000 miles on it with probably 1000 or so put on by my wife since we got it. I ran it today before changing the oil with no issues and it ran fine after changing the oil. Has anybody else had this issue?? I've not had this on any other bike or car so I'm a bit confused.

Bordsnbikes
11-30-2008, 02:28 PM
It's water contamination. If you do a lot of short trips with your bike that happens because condensation builds up inside the engine and if you don't run it long enough it doesn't evaporate. If that's not the case then you have water getting in somewhere.

Where does this breather plug into? Is it like the old PCV valves and goes into a valve cover/rocker box? I only vaguely know what the engine looks like. If that's what it does it's not a huge problem, but should be cleaned out and it means it got some water coming in that valve, but not a whole lot.