PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like rocks rolling around where my fork connects to the frame...

ghost96b69
12-09-2008, 04:40 AM
in the past few days I've developed what sounds like rocks or marbles rolling around in the joint where the frame connects to the front fork. Does it with the clutch engaged, without the clutch engaged, with or without the brakes engaged, usally when slowing from moderate speeds. A very evident rattle that you can hear and feel? Any idea what it might be? [confused]

dave_xb12r
12-09-2008, 04:44 AM
Maybe you picked up some rocks or marbles somewhere. :D Front wheel bearing maybe???

ghost96b69
12-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Actually sounds and feels like its in the headset and the front fork is loose and moves a little when you engage the brake and rocks back and forth.

dave_xb12r
12-09-2008, 05:13 AM
well there should be an adjustment on the upper triple tree to tighten on the fork tube

Buellysses
12-09-2008, 05:15 AM
Get the whole bike off the ground and start moving stuff around. Look for anything that moves when it shouldn't (front to back play on the forks, etc)

My first thought would be wheel bearings, or maybe the bearing where the triple tree mounts to the frame.

BuellPartsGuy
12-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Check and see if your front isolator on your motor mount is collapsed.

ghost96b69
12-09-2008, 03:43 PM
What's a front isolator - any way you could describe what I should be looking for? Like I said, sounds like it's in the fork tube and you can feel it in the handlebars, pretty much only happens when slowing down. Like I said, sounds like something's loose inside and just shaking around like lottery balls.. Guess I'll take it to the Harley dealer.. Any ideas on what it may cost to fix either the wheel bearings, headset bearings, or isolator on the motor mount?

Stevenc150
12-09-2008, 04:28 PM
What is your year and model for the bike? Is it under warranty still?: if so take it to the dealership, you may be waiting a while though. If it's not under warranty (No warranty + Dealership = Big $$$$) I'd take Buellysses advice and get it off the ground and try to fix myself, checking mounts from the motor up. The motor's a stressed member of the XB frame, so sound & vibrations can easily translate through the bars and forks also. Just some thoughts. [smirk][up] Hope you figure it out.

typeone
12-09-2008, 04:32 PM
steering head bearing? from the sounds of where the play is, i would look there first.

BuellPartsGuy
12-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Front Isolator (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/Is-this-normal-engine-mount)

There ya go......

ghost96b69
12-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Okay, to my knowledge, the bike is at home, there is no rubber spacer on this part. A buddy of mine noticed the large space at the front isolator, so I know there's no spacer there.. Any idea what this would cost me to replace? Thanks BPG.. Hopefully that's the problem.. [up]

ghost96b69
12-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Oh, and my bike a 2003 Buell XB9S

[img=http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1203/mygetupdec082og5.th.jpg] (http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mygetupdec082og5.jpg)

ghost96b69
12-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Here's what I got..

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6607/frontmount1dh3.jpg

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6607/frontmount1dh3.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6607/frontmount1dh3.jpg)

typeone
12-09-2008, 08:26 PM
that front isolator looks good.

if it was trashed, you would just get extra vibes.

ghost96b69
12-09-2008, 09:02 PM
So any idea what the problem is? Imagine your riding your motorcycle, as you come to a stop it feels like someone is tapping a small open ended wrench intermittently on your front forks or fork tube?! That's what it feels like. Any ideas? Maybe it's just loose? Made an appointment at the Harley dealer for Thursday.

Stevenc150
12-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Front wheel bearing maybe???

there should be an adjustment on the upper triple tree to tighten on the fork tube
My first thought would be wheel bearings, or maybe the bearing where the triple tree mounts to the frame.

steering head bearing? from the sounds of where the play is, i would look there first.

Did you get to check ALL these "ideas"?

ghost96b69
12-10-2008, 04:34 AM
Yeah, they sound good.. I think the fork tube - steering head bearing is the most likely source. Taking it to the dealer on Thursday morning.. Thanks for all of your suggestions, I'll let you know on Thursday if we figure out what it is. Doesn't affect performance in any way, just annoying.. Have a great week.

typeone
12-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Actually sounds and feels like its in the headset and the front fork is loose and moves a little when you engage the brake and rocks back and forth.

this is a big clue. again, i'd look at the head bearings first. once inspected and torqued back to spec (if the bearings dont need replacing), i'd inspect the rotor and pads next.

might be getting a little pulsing in the front brake which is common on our XBs, usually just dirty or worn bushings the front rotor floats on. with a pulse in the rotor and and loose steering head bearings, you would get what youre describing.

good luck and keep us posted

gbalias
12-12-2008, 12:40 AM
check inside your front windscreen for anything loose and rattling.

ghost96b69
12-12-2008, 04:52 AM
Okay, so it was the steering head bearings, they're toast, $22 ea x 2 + 3 hrs labor at $95/hr.. but then later in the day they called and said that the front wheel bearings are shot as well and they don't have them in stock.. So now I have to wait until Saturday or Monday to get my bike back.. Really disappointed as the service guy told me that if I dropped my bike off Weds evening they would get to it first thing in the morning and they didn't get to it until 1pm+ on Thursday so by the time they found the wheel bearings it was too late to get it from another dealer by Monday. Tried to find aftermarket bearings to buy myself but I can't find anything.. I did find a forum talking about SKF bearings as a replacement and upgrade but I can't find any distributors in the US. Anyone know of a bearing to replace the H-D bearings that I can purchase Friday and deliver to the dealer so I can just get my bike back?! The Harley dealer doesn't even have a parts driver to go pick up the bearings that are at a dealer about 40 min away.. Ridiculous to have to ship overnight for a part 40 min away.. If I could take off tomorrow I would just drive up there and deliver the bearings myself.. My dealer is a Buell Harley dealer and I've ordered maybe 4 parts from them.. 3 had to be shipped from other local dealers.. A Buell dealer should have Buell parts.. One of the parts was at a Harley dealer that doesn't even carry Buell.. Buell is obviously the bitch of Harley Davidson.. It sucks really.. Anyway, again, does anyone know of a replacement aftermarket front wheel bearing for the Buell XB9S? Thanks again.. [down]

gbalias
12-19-2008, 12:33 AM
its all simple supply and demand. buell generates relatively NO revenue for HD.