PDA

View Full Version : Backfire pops off the boot- new to buell

Itsarebuild
12-10-2012, 08:51 AM
I recently purchased a 2001 blast and I haven't managed to get it to go more than a mile since. Rode great at test drive. Got it home and ran it out of gas on the way to the station for its first fill up. Filled it up andstarted it . But the minute I put it in gear and tried to ride off it backfired and blew the intake boot off. The boot is supposedly the super boot replacement , I reattached it and it started and idled fine. Revved fine in park. But when I tried to ride it it backfired again and blew the boot lose again.

Any idea why it is backfiring in gear? Any suggestions for dealing with this boot? And why the heck isn't the carb just attached to the cylinder head with a solid intake!?

bonson
01-26-2013, 06:53 PM
what boot is this and where is it at? on an 07 Blast I assume same as yours

thuren67
01-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Where did you get gas and what grade.

thuren67
01-26-2013, 07:11 PM
You may have sucked up some junk in the bottom of the tank when you ran her dry. Sounds like its starving for fuel under load. Maybe drop the bowl and clean her out. I'm not real familiar with blasts...

bonson
01-28-2013, 01:47 PM
can you drop bowl without removing the whole carb?
and if so is gas going go running all over or can you just shut it off at shut off valve?

jetlee
01-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Yes, you can drop it.

Yes, fuel will run all over.

Turn off the petcock, then you're only dealing with the fuel in the bowl and what's left in the line.

I usually turn off the fuel and let the bike idle till it dies. Then there's minimal fuel left in the bowl.

bonson
01-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Txs. so I did drop the bottom bowl now, cleaned the junk, and from parts dept at HD I got a new oring/gasket and 4 new screws in it .. (Just wanted to be sure ahead of time that gas, springs and parts werent gonna fly out at me) I had a catch all for the gas so that turned out fine. The bike at least runs now as of today! Went on a nice test drive.

Itsarebuild
02-04-2013, 07:01 PM
thanks for the replies! i will have to try that next weekend.

Npoulos
07-01-2014, 01:29 AM
I got the intake kit from Thumpe including the super boot and some jets that he recomended and now Im having a problem with a backfire when trying to start and it kicks the carb off the boot not sure what is causing this

Thumpe
07-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Did you get it running at all and when doing the jets how far apart did you take the carb.

Npoulos
07-06-2014, 12:25 AM
I replaced the float and it ran for a minute then bang boot off again .when replacing the jets I only took the bottom off the carb

Thumpe
07-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Did you adjust the float to the manual specs?
From the info here an your other carb post and pm i'll send you a new replacement boot.