PDA

View Full Version : Stock Suspension settings

Roccodart440
12-09-2008, 10:42 PM
What are the stock suspension settings for an 05' City X?

I want to adjust mine for mext season. They have never been touched. I don't necesarily want to go directly to the stiffest settings. I am 6 ft about 270 in street clothes. I am basicly looking for a starting point.

Stevenc150
12-10-2008, 03:32 AM
Towards the bottom of this link, it shows recommended adjustments to suspension for riding style, load, etc. It tells the stock settings also. '05 Buell XB Manual - Operation settings (http://www.buell.com/om/99474-05Y_en/file-5.asp)

RHYNOXB9R
12-10-2008, 04:54 AM
usally factory settings are poor at best,the best thing to do is to put your settings all the way in(stiffest)go for a ride and depending on the roads conditions,twisties/no twisties,1 up/2 up riding skill/habits,and riding weight,back them out untill you are comfortable with settings.wright your data and findings down so you can refer to them should your riding habits change and you want to go more aggressive.all the adjusters are easly reached.what may be right for one could not be right for another.set your bike up so you are comfortable with the feedback.

typeone
12-10-2008, 01:05 PM
usally factory settings are poor at best

i dont think this is true for Buell, or the XB settings specifically. i think the guidelines in the manual are pretty good for a starting point.

tire pressure is key on the XB as well.

RHYNOXB9R
12-11-2008, 04:21 AM
factory settings are set with a generic rider in mind,and by factory settings i am talking of the settings that are on the bike when you roll it of the floor,and yes,the settings that are in the manual are good starting points,if the rider is looking to the manual for a better ride,chances are they will look even further than that to find the ones they want,ie a fourm like this one.and yes, i agree with you on tire pressure,it is considered part of the suspension,only going further on my post,not argueing typone:p

typeone
12-11-2008, 12:35 PM
no, i know you're not arguing. just wanted to post a general comment that the manual is very good.

along those lines, if your salesman didn't spend the time to set up the bike with you there, explaining how and what to do, you're salesman was lazy.

no bike should be ridden right off the floor without, at the very least, tweaking the settings to your weight in full gear.

ADAMLEE
12-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I took my xb in after a week or two of owning it and let the service department know it was to lose and they had a tech adjust it for me. He asked my weight and a few other simple questions and proceeded with the adjustment. It took about ten minutes for the whole process and the suspension was dead on after he was done. They didn't ask for any money or for me to make an appointment, just come on in was the motif!

Odin
12-12-2008, 02:37 AM
definitely noticed that. i rode the bike the first week i brought it home brand new and wasn't thrilled with how it handled. pulled out the manual read the settings, and found that the so called factory defaults were NOT set on my bike at all. then I set it up for my weight, etc... and it was like Night and Day. i left it that way w/o further fooling around, because i was so happy with that result

Roccodart440
12-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I would have to agree that the factory settings aren't all that bad and the bike is very sensitive to tire pressure.

I appreciate the link. Jowever I couldn't figure out what the off the showroom floor settings are. Like I said am 270 in street clothes which by this chart would mean I need to go to the max settings. I don't know if I would want to do that.

A friend who is a great rider/racer said that those settings are like a trackday setting. Given rider on his best day type of thing. He recomended setting it a little softer for example 225 for a 275 pound rider.