PDA

View Full Version : Slow to start

WileyXB12X
12-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Hey all,

I have a 06 Uly that over the last six months has progressively become slower to start. Hit the start, lights and dashboard dim and it acts like it won't catch, then suddenly it turns over and comes alive. Sometimes if I push it forward a bit, it helps it catch. I replaced the battery (I still had the original) but that didn't change anything. I'm going simple first and replace the spark plugs, but any other thoughts?

No recent (last year or so) mods, but I do have the breather mod and K&N filter.

jimijeans
12-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Check your Clutch Lever Adjustment.[up by the front exhaust] under the boot. then after testing it go from there.
then AFTER Riding and Testing a small Adjustment may need to be done on the Clutch pack itself. Very simple to do as long as the Other areas are done First!
Then the Starter Solenoid MAY need to be done but make sure before you spend any money in that area to do all the Small Things first. There are manuals here on the Forum and in the Adjustment areas for that still work the same way.Check the Start Button as well. Just A few areas to get you started so hope it is an Easy Fix. Ride Safe. *Jimi

WileyXB12X
12-22-2012, 03:31 AM
Thanks Jimi.

crawfo
12-22-2012, 11:39 AM
If rolling it helps every time i would bet on clutch adjustment as well. It sounds like when you pull in the clutch it doesn't fully disengage. Does it do the same thing if you start it in nuetral? If it does the same thing in neutral that kinda blows the drag theory out of the water though.

jimijeans
01-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Wiley have you done those adjustments yet? Hope that is all it needs. Depending on the miles (STOCK) Bike with an unchanged Tranny(parts wise). That is why I preach about the Fluids in these air cooled Bikes. Actually a lot of Vehicles! When Servicing, AmsOil in the Tranny usually 20/50 -1/2 a Quart and 75/90 Amsoil- 1/2 a Quart Mixed together. Won't hurt it a bit. BUT will help it greatly HOT or Cold weather! If the Problem persists and you can't get the Clutch correct.
SAY it still pulls forward in Neutral or kinda jerks a little while trying to start the Engine with the Adjustments done and you are positive that it is correct. Sometimes the Clutch Spring and the Clutch Pressure Plate can be slightly warped causing the problem. Not hard to fix, slightly time consuming. OR Ball Bearings in that front area or complete Pak assembly. The Oid Style Transmission is really easy to fix as long as you are familar with this type of work.
Remember The[ Buell Service Manuals] TOP of the PAGE transmission as said before will still pertain adjustment wise and most of the Display of parts diagrams will be correct except Part Numbers of course. Those change plenty over the years. American Sportbike will have the upDated Part numbers as well as the DealerShip.
Hope the Adjustments work and you make sure not to get the bottom part of the Cable where it Attaches inside to the Ramp assembly.
LEAVE just a little slack at this area(1/16th) so it is not to tight causing the Clutch pak to slip pulling on the ramp. POST UP if you get stuck on the Adjustments. Download the manual to your computer if possible. Take your time. Good Luck. *Jimi

WileyXB12X
09-23-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm terrible at following up. I always start the bike in neutral, so I'm really kind of confounded as to why the transmission or clutch adjustment would be an issue since the engine is disengaged anyway, but as I've said in many a post, I'm mechanically ignorant.

I did try some clutch adjustments with no noticeable difference. I've just learned to live with it I guess. I might investigate the solenoid solution though. In the meantime, I'm working on a leaking clutch cable (at the transmission) and a wonky idle.