PDA

View Full Version : 09 Ulysses hard starting

farmer12
12-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Well I just bought this 09 with 4100 miles on it I've only had it bout a month or so and I havent really had good weather to ride it on the highway much, I rode it before I bought and it started good then, but it did smell extra rich at idle. I've now fouled 2 sets of plugs just starting it in the garage. I just put a k&n on it and had Randy Hawkins fix up my pipe. I hoped opening it up would maybe help with this but aparently not. It starts VERY hard, as in I have to crank it a lot to get it to fire, and yesterday I ran it down the road after getting the pipe on and it seemed to run ok, def not as snappy as it should be tho. It stumbles if you hit the throttle from idle and pops out the intake, acts like the timing is to high and its dumping entirely to much fuel in. Theres no engine light on....I had a firebolt xb9 before but never had any probs like this. Any idears? Thanks guys!

jimijeans
12-24-2012, 10:31 PM
The XB9 is a different Buell. The bike you have 2009 has a Simple TPS reset for keeping the Throttle Position Reset(TPS) in sync .Once you get the hang if it, you can Reset the TPS with the Key Turn Method pretty Quickly. It is an easy fix, and must be done first [for a good Idle] AND before you Spend any money on anything else. NGK plugs work well in the Heat Range you need DCPR9EIX is a good Spark Plug to use. Gap is/0.35 ths. use a wire gapper to check so as not to damage the Electrode tip.
You can use a coin Gapper but be carefull of the Middle tip(electrode) it will chip easily. The Stock Spark Plugs will work good as well.
The 2008 through 2010 Buell TPS Key turn method is as follows.
1st, turn on Start Kill BUTTON.
2nd, Turn on Key Switch, Guages will Sweep.DO NOT Start Engine.
Twist Throttle to FULL Throttle, Hold for one FULL second. Close Throttle one second hold firm.
Do this ONLY for 3 Twists of the Throttle completely. NOT FOUR.DO NOT start Engine.
Leave the Start /Kill Button on do not turn it off During this Procedure.
Once done with this procedure Turn off key only .Now turn key switch right back on Guages will Sweep.
Wait for the Cel or Yellow engine light to go off. START the Engine If it stalls restart do not touch the throttle..
Let the Bike Idle for at least a minute before you move the throttle especially when the engine is cold when you do the Resetting procedure.
You will notice over time that the TPS works better when done with a warmed up engine. I Reset the TPS on both my Buells every 2 fill ups. If it is needed or not. The ECM Controls the Idle STOCK ECM should be 1'100RPMS. Hope this helps.Good Luck. *Jimi

glenn r
12-25-2012, 08:27 AM
talk to randy i sent my ecm to him with the pipe just tell him about your other mods, got pipe and ecm back installed both and did tps reset with ecmspy .all was well until had to put ulysses into hibernation dont have snow tires till next year

farmer12
12-25-2012, 06:27 PM
I will try the tps reset when it warms back up, its a tid bit nipply out...single digits lately. Would that help with it running rich at idle? Its very noticable, not like raw gas but just super rich.

I actually talked to randy quite a bit before I sent my pipe down to him but he said with a k&n and his pipe it shouldnt really need any ecm adjustments.