PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm just pissed!!

luv2ride
01-05-2013, 08:45 PM
O.K. Some of you have read my plight with the 02 lightning and my troubles with the fuel system. Well, I got my NOS (new old stock, not NOS as in Nitrous) Buell fuel pressure regulator today and it it EXACTLY the same as the Chrysler one I took out. It has two o-rings in the bag which i installed along with the plastic ones. It makes 50psi like the old one and gas still sprays gas from underneath like the old one. And the friggin thing STILL WILL NOT START!!!!!!!!!! Any ideas? I'm pulling my hair. The first one made 30 psi and it ran rough but it ran. I cannot figure out the problem. Its not pressure since the Buell one is rated at 50.

luv2ride
01-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Anyway to edit posts? I see my awful double words. (it it and gas still sprays gas)

RamAirZ
01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
There is an edit button for a time but is goes away after awhile, it's weird. Not sure on your issue though, where is it spraying fuel from?

wolfo68
01-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Please take a video, I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. I know MrUden and his dad are huge into tubers. You may want to send him a pm or let me know and I'll give him a call since he doesn't get on all that much anymore.

toolmaker98
01-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Something you might check or replace is any fitting around where it is spraying gas from. I seen hydraulic lines cracked underneath the fittings. Good luck. Sorry not much help.

luv2ride
01-06-2013, 07:47 AM
OK. when you key "on" and the pump primes up, gas sprays out from where the regulator sits in the housing. There is a small hole I assume to allow excess fuel to (bypass?) At any rate the small "tip" of the regulator sits in the housing and the o-ring on it keeps a positive seal. But it seems the gas is finding a way around under pressure. Its hard to video it while in the tank. I could take pictures. Since the bike isn't 100% yet, the tank cover isn't on nor is the cap assembly. When you key it on gas actually sprays so hard against the bottom of the tank it splatters out of the gas cap hole and onto the gauges!

oisterska
01-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Maybe something is plugged up on the exit side of the pump causing back-pressure and resulting in the sprayback into the tank? Plugged jet/injector/??? I am no mechanic, don't have a tuber, and am only guessing/hypothesizing.

Good luck!

luv2ride
01-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Well, it didn't do this with regulator #1. It only made 30 psi due to an improper seal but it ran. Not well, but it ran.. And, gas never sprayed back like that. Im going to hook the pump up to the pigtail and submerge the sock in gas and see what the fudge is going on.

luv2ride
01-06-2013, 07:51 PM
I have a photo. How do I attach without having a site like image shack.?

luv2ride
01-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Boy threads dont last long here...
So. I spoke to a cert buell trained tech. He says the gas shooting from under the regulator is actually normal. he says that it means its making enough fuel pressure and its bypassing like it should. If its not starting I could have fouled plugs (ive cleaned them once) or the new pump dislodged varnish and now the injectors are stopped up. Oh well, at least I can stop pulling the pump out.

RamAirZ
01-07-2013, 06:19 PM
There ya go! Pull the injectors and let them soak in some injector cleaner or other similar agent for a day or two then clean them up real good and pull the plugs and you can use some brake clean and a wire brush to clean em or just put new ones in. Hopefully that works out for ya. Have you tried cleaning the tank out

luv2ride
01-07-2013, 06:23 PM
RamAirZ
Yes, when I got this bike it sat over a year. The gas was like a parfait. Meaning it was layers of different fluids, really nasty. It corroded the pump assembly. I did the obvious and washed tank and blew it out plus let it sit empty a week. It was running recently but now with the new fpr it must have blew some crap loose and messed up an injector or two. After a new pump/regulator it fired up but wasn't strong due to the 30 psi it did have before with different fpr.

RamAirZ
01-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Gotcha ya that 20psi is a big difference. I'd get a new set of injector seals and just pull the old ones off when you soak em

luv2ride
01-08-2013, 04:47 AM
Cool thanks. I'm looking at how they come out. I know on a car after you disconnect them they pop out and the rail holds them in. With these being in a Y shape and joined to a common rail I'm not sure how to take them out. I'll figure it out.

luv2ride
01-08-2013, 07:10 AM
No need. I cleaned the plugs and it fired up. Sounds strong too. Clutch needs adjusted since it grinds when you try to put it in gear

RamAirZ
01-08-2013, 12:31 PM
sweet!! Glad you got her running [up]

luv2ride
01-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Ill be riding soon. Boy it sounds scary too. Ive ridden gixers and cbr's but nothing like this!

aaronbuell
01-09-2013, 02:37 AM
Glad you got her going. I've been following your posts. My S3 is carbed so i was no help. [up]

luv2ride
01-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Aaronbuell.
Thanks. Not sure what to say. You must enjoy other peoples misery! Lol. As a side note, any idea on proper clutch adj?

aaronbuell
01-18-2013, 06:17 AM
No I don't enjoy the misery. I don't no much about FI so I usually try to follow anything about them to learn. I haven't messed with my clutch yet I probably should check it. I'm not sure on the proper adjustment i'll have to look that up online.