PDA

View Full Version : Tires, Wheels, and battery questions.

Tbone
01-10-2013, 11:50 AM
This ULY has 16,000 + miles (3800 + since I owned) and looking at doing some replacements due to wear and tear as well as multi-purpose.
Looking at:
-Shorai LFX battery? Reasons: Lightweight ~3#s, cost a little ~$200, ~+300 CCA, can use a standard trickle charge if needed?
-Mostly Off/Some On road tires on new wheels. TKC 80's I think fit the Uly the best or at least earn cool points?
-On road tires on the original wheels, Michelin Pilot Road 3's. Reason: All season commuter tire.
My Logic,which is sometimes flawed, is I want to commute to work during the week all year round and then hit some dirt roads and trails on the weekends. The best way I think to do this is to change out the wheels with tires for what I want to do? Since I have not taken a wheel off this bike yet, is this practical?
Any suggestions on how to get an extra set of wheels or would it be better to get new street wheels and use the stock ones for off road? Not sure if it is still possible to purchase a new/used 3 bearing rear wheel because I have not looked either?

djohnk
01-10-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't know much about the about the Shorai battery ... I bought this one recently and I believe it really puts out the 260cca it advertises, very happy with it: Scorpion battery (http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/buell/2007)

I totally agree with your choice in tires, I really want to put on the TCK80's next time, but can't justify it for the little off-roading I do. Probably will personally install the PR3's next time.

user_deleted
01-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Tbone: i don't have the answers for you but am very curious how a Uly will hold up when subjected to a steady weekend diet of dirt road and trails.

ircsmith
01-11-2013, 08:09 PM
I have both the Shorai and the AntiGravity. think the Anti is a little better.

no help on the tires. I run my race take-offs. but I do very little dirt. treat the Uly more like Motard.