PDA

View Full Version : Bike won't start

Bill
12-18-2008, 01:48 PM
OK, here's the gig - I have an '04 XB-12R, factory race ECM and pipe. When I try to start it, all that happens is a loud clicking sound - the enginge doesn't turn over, and the dash resets itself (clock, trip odometers reset, almost like the battery was disconnected). The battery is pretty new and at full charge, and the stator was replaced under warranty a few months ago. Any ideas on what may be wrong? Thanks for y'alls help.

09XB12Ss
12-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a dead battery. Since you say it's new, check you ground cables and battery terminals and make sure there isn't any oxidation between them. This causes conductivity problems. If this fails, have the battery checked. If you don't use your bike for long periods, it tends to both degrade the battery and form oxidation at terminals.

LeFox
12-18-2008, 02:50 PM
how's the battery when starting? (under load)

it may seem fine in normal but when starting the voltage might drop below the needed power level...

Stevenc150
12-18-2008, 02:54 PM
You check you're battery with a volt-meter & fuses also? What's the voltage reading off the battery.

Bill
12-18-2008, 05:09 PM
It is 13.4 before hitting the start button - after it drops to 6.5 (under load), then pops back up to it's original voltage after I release the start button.

Stevenc150
12-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Sounds like you might have a bad ground connection to the battery. Try taking your negative connector off your battery and cleaning it and the battery with a wire brush, follow it to your frame and do the same to the other end. Hope it helps.

Bill
12-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I'll give it a shot and let you know...

LeFox
12-19-2008, 08:12 AM
battery gone bad.

the ground connection should not make the drop while under load when you're checking @ battery.

your battery probably went completely flat due to the malfunctioning stator but held on till now.

FIDOSOL
12-19-2008, 04:49 PM
I don't know if this helps at all but my battery did the same thing last winter, exactly the same thing. I had it "deep cycle" charged (can take up to 8 hours) and it still wouldn't turn over, just the clicking. I took the battery back to autozone, I ended up having to have it "deep cycle" charged at least 3 times before it would start, I took it for a nice LOOOOONG ass ride to make sure it was good, haven't had a problem since.

Bill
12-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Well, I replaced the battery, and everything is a go so far. Thanks for the help, y'all.

LeFox
12-22-2008, 08:13 AM
no problem...[up]