PDA

View Full Version : This just getting stupid

sparky300
01-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Editing the content of every thread. This used to be a forum where members could post their opinions. Good, bad, indifferent, didn't matter. It makes we think twice now and hesitant to comment on anything of worth if the mods are just going to edit it out anyway. Looks like the good ol days when we could voice our opinions about any given subject are over and I may just become a lurker.

edit: And no, the posts I made weren't negative, bashing or flaming. Evidently they just didn't fit the cookie-cutter image that one or more of the mods have in their drawer.

Zeroflat24
01-26-2013, 01:07 PM
What did you post that got edited. The forum rules are pretty few and far between. Just a few ground rules.

sparky300
01-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Well, lets see...I posted on a for sale ad for some sunglasses, now the whole post is gone. I also commented along with oh9bolt in the thread for the fellow who's selling the Micron exhaust and our posts have been deleted and none of our comments were what you would call negative. Realistic maybe, but certainly not in the negative category.

matter
01-26-2013, 01:27 PM
[cool] aggressive censorship?

BuellyBagger
01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
f*** censorship

uly luigi
01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
I hate censorship, let em post we can flame em out ourselves

BuellRiderX
01-26-2013, 02:20 PM
This seems to be with every forum but customfighters.com ..

thrstrmech
01-26-2013, 02:37 PM
agreed, it sucks! let's not lose sight of what the forum is about, sharing info, thoughts, pics, helping others out, listing parts/bikes for sale...this isn't facebook, let's keep it that way, if you wanna BITCH about something, go to the source of it...get in touch with the mods or other member via PM's, let's keep the BS off the forum...I too have had a post/thread removed, I built a bridge and got the f@#$ over it, moved on and continue to engage with everyone, if it's not to your liking, then move on to another forum, it's simple, it's a choice like everything else in life, my opinion of Buellxb.com...it's the best out there, I feel very comfortable here, the people on the forum are great and lots of knowledge floating around, check your egos before approaching the keyboard, we're here to help and support one another with our passion for the machine...Buell motorcycles no matter what flavor:D

Theycallmecrash
01-26-2013, 02:45 PM
You heard Obama made freedom of speech a felony right?

d_adams
01-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Not sure who's doing it, but even some of MY posts have been removed. I initially thought it was just a glitch or something, but it's not.

stensg
01-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Yea some of mine have disappeared to thought it was my phone or something guess not

theoctopus
01-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Let me preface what I'm about to say with the following: I haven't deleted anyone's posts in MONTHS. Now I can get down to business:

A big part of the community feel that we know and love here at BuellXB is that we all respect one another and treat our fellow members with respect (and, when required, patience). Over the last year or two, I've noticed an increasingly nasty vibe in a lot of the threads. From the Blast forum fiasco to some of these recent FS threads, it seems that some of you guys think it's your job to not only call people out, but to do it in the most disrespectful and immature way possible. Of course we all want to look out for one another, but there has to be a way to do it that helps create that community vibe, not detract from it.

And, perhaps the biggest point: this forum is not a democracy. By and large, we let things fly, but moderators are here to keep things on target and within the bounds of reason, not be your bff. It's not always going to be rainbows and sunshine, so we do need to prune posts and whole threads from time to time. If you don't like that, tough ****.

anrkizm95
01-26-2013, 03:45 PM
wasnt me most of you know where i stand on censorship.its usally the same guys that abuse the privilege.

thuren67
01-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Hahahaha oh that's funny

Loki
01-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Lets test this theory out.

**** ALL OF YOU!
R2YrTxfbToM

Just kidding, i love you all. But i still dont give a ****. I mean, look...
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/121/249/look-at-all-the-****s-i-dont-give-theyre-just-falling-from-the-sky.jpg

squidbuellie
01-26-2013, 06:30 PM
It was "Me" who deleleted the sunglasses post....I can't claim any of the others......
but spark300 knows it was me.....becouse I pm'ed him and all interested parties well before I deleted it.

Lately we have had a rash of.......this person took my money and didn't send me my part, this person shipped me junk, this person is high and wants way to much for thier part....ect...ect

And this **** is getting old real quick, especially when they are on the top of the list everyday and have no real value or are just b.s member bashing.
that is not what i thought this forum was about?

If you want to say that i did a big injustice to this forum becouse i deleting a sunglasses post? Then I think you might need to rethink why your here.....

If you want to talk **** in every post go to 4chan or one of those troll sites and talk ****.

Theycallmecrash
01-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Yay, Buells are awesome!

Edit: can we delete this thread too? I think the mods have a point, some none motorcycle threads can be fun, but there are a lot of negative angry threads popping up, i myself have participated in some, and they are deleted, lost and gone forever. Oh well!

netty2424
01-26-2013, 07:51 PM
This is a forum, where people communicate.............good, bad, or indifferent. We're all big boys here. Everyone's guilty of a little negativity every now and then, including some of the moderators. What we don't need is to read through threads that don't make sense because there are holes or gaps in communication because something was deleted. Maybe replace the post with a placeholder stating a post was deleted, and why.

If someone is threatening someone or attacking them personally, then maybe they should be dealt with privately, but deleting posts because someone who can, disagrees with someone else's thoughts or opinions is not what the moderator title was created for, and quite frankly goes against the very foundation of why forums exist.

If you don't like that, tough ****.

Thanks Dad, that was a great speech, but I think this same statement should apply to those with a "delete" button as well. You don't have to delete something because you don't agree with it. Somebody on here selling fake ****, delete them, but don't because someone calls them out for trying to get over on others. And as stated earlier, if someone is threatening someone or personally attacking them, then deal with it.

I think my track record on this forum is a positive one and I visit multiple times daily, and I don't mean to single you or anyone else out, but do us all a favor and lose the patronizing attutiude and tough guy routine. We don't need direction and to be "kept on target". We're all grown men here.

Respectfully, and just my opinion.

matter
01-26-2013, 08:00 PM
The funny thing about censorship, it is very subjective. I made a comment on the Micron for sale thread about everyone bashing the asking price, as I personally feel it is wrong to make negative comments on the sellers thread because you don't agree on what the seller thinks it is worth. My comment was if you don't think it is fair, then don't buy it, but don't attack the price publicly as that is not fair to the seller. I mean, what's the point of that? So my comment got deleted. As I said, very subjective.

Matt

WALLSXB
01-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Well said Netty! [up]

BuellyBagger
01-26-2013, 08:09 PM
I expect this thread won't last long...

But eitherway ill throw in my real opinion. This is positively the only forum I've ever been able to even tolerate, matter of fact I luv this place. Yeah there's some serious assholes onhere, but we do ride motorcycles I mean have ne of u guys been to a bike rally or even a bar, now there's a whole bunch more "less than supportive" stuff bein said round there. Not that I don't see the mods point but if u don't like what's bein said just ignore it.

sparky300
01-26-2013, 08:45 PM
If someone is threatening someone or attacking them personally, then maybe they should be dealt with privately, but deleting posts because someone who can, disagrees with someone else's thoughts or opinions is not what the moderator title was created for, and quite frankly goes against the very foundation of why forums exist
Exactly my point, well said.

My comment was if you don't think it is fair, then don't buy it, but don't attack the price publicly as that is not fair to the seller. I mean, what's the point of that? So my comment got deleted. As I said, very subjective
Mine as well, and all I stated was simply that his/her asking price might be filled by the right buyer, at the right time. The result? My post deleted.

It was "Me" who deleleted the sunglasses post....I can't claim any of the others......
but spark300 knows it was me.....becouse I pm'ed him. If you want to say that i did a big injustice to this forum becouse i deleting a sunglasses post? Then I think you might need to rethink why your here
As I was well aware of. What I wasn't going to do was call you out on it because I didn't believe it necessary. My only concern is that besides some heated discussion, there wasn't any bashing or name-calling and the thread would've dissolved itself on its own. And fwiw, I'm here because of the camaraderie, because of the members who, everyday give their assistance, time and sometimes blood to help a fellow member who they may not even know and the vast knowledge base that is available here that could fill volumes but isn't in any service or repair manual.

As it was said, we're all grown men and women, just because you don't agree with it but it doesn't make it right to delete it or change the content. I happen to enjoy discussion, it's what makes the United Sates and all the other free countries great. If that's the way it's going to be here from now on, I'll move to China, they have fewer rules on censorship.

So go ahead and do what you want, you're gonna do it anyway.

Theycallmecrash
01-26-2013, 09:05 PM
This is more hostile than it needs to be.

At times i can agree there is no need for a mod to use their "power" but at other times there is a need to regulate a troublesome members annoying posts or a "lets hate moderators/other members" threads. Everyone makes good points, but at the same time sides are being taken against moderators. Not cool bros

anrkizm95
01-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Well said Netty![up][up]

sparky300
01-26-2013, 09:11 PM
^^ Then you are totally missing the point.

I guess we'll let the mods do their job and edit and delete as they see fit. I digress.

Loki
01-26-2013, 09:13 PM
There is a reason i dont post as much anymore. Im still on MANY times a day but i dont see reason to post much anymore. There isnt very many threads that spark an interesting conversation to me much anymore.

Theycallmecrash
01-26-2013, 09:21 PM
I see your point, and youre not out of line by any means. I think you only see one side of it, this forum is above others because its cleaned up and regulated. Your argument is the same as the world would be better without police and we should be able to do what ever we want.

JJsXB9Sx
01-26-2013, 09:27 PM
I gotta say I mostly lurk... But I do it daily as this is where I go for everything/anything Buell. I'm entertained by both the helpful and dumb**** comments out there... This would be boring as **** if a few moderators spoon fed us all the content. Editing what is deemed worth is essentially giving us the news. Most of us know where to find the threads we need (DIY, Mods,ect). The rest is what brings me back daily...

And yes, well said Netty

oh9bolt
01-26-2013, 09:30 PM
[up] netty

sparky300
01-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Crash, nope, not at all. Again you've missed the context of my discussion. My point is that the mods provide a valuable service by cleaning the forum of spam and maintaining control of the subject matter by assigning stickys, moving threads to a more relevant forum section, etc.

My argument us that, unless the discussion results in abuse, name-calling or a deliberate, willful intent to deceive, the threads and subsequent content of those members' posts should be left intact.

netty2424
01-26-2013, 09:54 PM
but at the same time sides are being taken against moderators. Not cool bros

Crash, I'm a fan brother, I often laugh at your stuff, but I respectfully disagree. I don't feel the hostility. It's a discussion amongst a group of people trying to find common ground. And if you're referring to my post specifically, it was not directed at all moderators, and did not have intentions of taking sides. The topic of deleting posts is an action that only moderators can take, therefore it would naturally align the conversation toward those who can delete.

I truly think its important to be careful with how a forum is managed, and by managed I mean less is more. The forum will sort itself out.

For example, if I make some off color or ignorant remark, I'll be corrected relatively quickly. In return, I'll either explain myself further to try and enlighten others as to why I said what I said, OR I will realize what I said was incorrect or unnecessary and make a correction or possibly apologize...."my bad"! OR I'll keep pleading my case and digging a hole for myself resulting in me looking like an idiot.

Either way, a resolution of some sort is achieved, and the forum is validated.

If its simply deleted, points and opinions are lost, discussions are preempted, and the forum has lost its value.....so what's the point of being here?

That's all I'm saying. It's a slippery slope and I feel it needs to be recognized.

sparky300
01-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Yep and yep. Thanks Netty, maybe hearing it from a more respected member than myself will drive the point home.

Theycallmecrash
01-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Nope wasnt being specific to anyones posts. I agree completely with you netty especially the way youve clarified it. Cant deny though moderators are exactly that! They should keep the heat at a minimum between members as needed, that doesnt mean delete posts before they are seen or just to remove them, that solves nothing.

truly think its important to be careful with how a forum is managed, and by managed I mean less is more. The forum will sort itself out.
I agree with the first part, its very important to be careful, can i suggest the mods interject when an issue arises before locking or deleting? Im a minimalist,a minimum control is needed, less is best to an extent.

But netty youre a smart mother ****er [up]

netty2424
01-26-2013, 10:12 PM
more respected member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I just post pics of boobs! Guys like boobs! And when you post boobies, you get rep points! :D

oh9bolt
01-26-2013, 10:14 PM
For the record netty is 5'4 1/2.

Theycallmecrash
01-26-2013, 10:16 PM
http://messiahmom.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/boobies.jpg

netty2424
01-26-2013, 10:17 PM
For the record netty is 5'4 1/2.

Disregard everything I said! Will someone delete that post! I'm 5'2 3/16! :D

netty2424
01-26-2013, 10:19 PM
There he is! Theycallmecrash coming through with the boobies! ;)

thuren67
01-26-2013, 10:41 PM
This whole thread is a **** show. Can't we all get along and talk about how cool our Buells are lol

sparky300
01-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Buells ARE cool, and I have the coolest Buell ever.

theoctopus
01-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks Dad, that was a great speech, but I think this same statement should apply to those with a "delete" button as well. You don't have to delete something because you don't agree with it. Somebody on here selling fake ****, delete them, but don't because someone calls them out for trying to get over on others. And as stated earlier, if someone is threatening someone or personally attacking them, then deal with it.

I think my track record on this forum is a positive one and I visit multiple times daily, and I don't mean to single you or anyone else out, but do us all a favor and lose the patronizing attutiude and tough guy routine. We don't need direction and to be "kept on target". We're all grown men here.

I'm not the one who deleted anything in the sunglasses thread. In fact, I don't even know what the sunglass thread is.

I don't think you understand what the word patronizing means, because I certainly wasn't trying to be kind, nor do I feel superior to anyone. The tough guy attitude is immaterial as well, since it's the internet and there's no point in having bravado here. My only point was that these threads serve no purpose. If you have an issue with something we've done, PM us. We're human, and we're happy to be held responsible for what we do. Otherwise, keep this **** to yourself and let us do what we have to do as part of our job title.