PDA

View Full Version : Fan question...

ghost96b69
12-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Okay, so I've had my Buell XB9S a total of 3 weeks. I took it to the dealer for a rattle in the front forks, turned out to be bad steering head bearings and bad wheel bearings.. Fine, they fixed it, took em' 4 days but they fixed it. I drove it home from the dealer about 20-30 min ride on the freeway and streets and until now whenever I turn my bike off the fan hits and runs for a few minutes. When I got it home it didn't turn on. So I thought maybe it was because it was cold and a short ride. Today I drove it to work and the fan still did not come on when I turned the bike off.. Now I'm beginning to think they screwed it up.. Any one have any suggestions? I haven't really had the bike long enough to know if this is an issue or not.. I don't want to call them raving about it if there's nothing wrong with it.. Any idea what they may have done changing to the wheel bearings, steering head bearings, oil and filter to stop the fan from working?! Thanks for your time in advance..[mad]

ADAMLEE
12-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I know with my bike the fan doesn't always come on. Especially if it's cool out. If you know you got the motor cooking and the fan doesn't kick in then I'd make a trip to Harley or any other dealer that would service them.

Warranty work for sure!

ghost96b69
12-19-2008, 04:49 PM
It's possible. The night I took the bike home it was cold and it was at night, this morning it was probably in the high 40's maybe low 50's but I drove 20+ min on the freeway at 70+ and 10 min on streets so I would think it would come on when I shut down. If this is normal I'm not concerned. At this point I have such little experience with the bike that I don't know what normal is. All I know is that every time I rode the bike before I took it in for service the fan came on when I shut down and now it doesn't. Thanks for the reply. ;)

FIDOSOL
12-19-2008, 04:55 PM
I have found that anything under 45 I have to rip throttle hard and keep it ripped to get the fan to come on when I stop, It was 40 out the other afternoon I took the bike out for a spin, less than 2 miles, up this road right down the street, ripping through the gears, hit 120 as fast as I could get to it, then slowed down, turned around and did it again, took the bike home and the fan didn't come on at all. Today it's around 55-60 degrees I rode my bike to post, had to go to the transportation office to see about shipping my car to germany. It's 6 miles there and 6 miles back. Rode a little aggressive but never over 60 mph and no wheelies, fan came on when I stopped back at the house. Maybe it's just cool enough outside that your fan doesn't need to come on.

I just thought of something, if you have a garage and feel like wasting a little gas, then just put the bike in your garage (leave the door open), let it run for a few minutes and then tach it up to 4500-6000rpm and hold it for about 2-5 minutes. Don't die from exhaust fumes ok? set up a fan to blow them from your bike area away from you, and then let it drop back down to idle for 30 seconds, shut it off. See if the fan comes on. Also, if it is as cold outside as it is in your garage, this probably won't work...

1001yos
12-19-2008, 05:10 PM
If you run synthetic oil, the heads will run cooler, or even if the oil is new and conventional.

ghost96b69
12-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Interesting?! The oil is new and synthetic.. Thank you both for your input. [up]

FIDOSOL
12-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Keep in mind the temperature of your engine will decrease when you spend that ten minutes driving on the street, generally lower rpms than highway riding. May have been all it needed. Oh and I also run synthetic. less than 120 miles since I changed it too.

1001yos
12-19-2008, 07:50 PM
uhhh, just thought of something, say it isn't the fresh, super slippery synthetic oil, and there is something genuinely wrong with the fan. Better check it out. Maybe find a way to provoke it into activating.

ADAMLEE
12-19-2008, 08:46 PM
I've noticed that My bike is hotter at lower rpms. sitting at lights the thing gets crazy hot. Somethimes at lights my fan kicks on. it only happens when it's 96 degrees or higher.

I would suggest that you ride it out for a while. if your bike starts acting up then take it in. That is if you have a warranty.

ghost96b69
12-19-2008, 08:58 PM
The issue is that, if there is a problem with it, it worked fine before I took it in for an oil change & filter - wheel bearings & steering head bearing change.. So I don't want to take too long to take it back if there is a problem with the fan because obviously I would want to blame them for the failure since it worked before taking it in and now it doesn't. My bike is a 2003 with 10k mi on it.. So it's not under warranty and I just spent $540 on an oil change, wheel bearings, and steering head bearings.. [smirk]

ghost96b69
12-20-2008, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the all of input, you guys really made a difference because I almost called the dealer. Rode home from work today, 60 degrees out, some traffic on the freeway, and when I got home and shut down the fan came on and ran for a short time. So it is in fact the new oil and the cool weather, not the dealer. Thank you again. Have a great weekend.:D

FIDOSOL
12-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Glad we could all help out, that's what we're here for.