PDA

View Full Version : FRONT BRAKE PROBLEM

motorcyclemike
02-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Hey Guys I am have a Problem with my Front Brake. I changed the Handlebars and the Brake Pads and now after a Mile or Two the Front Brake goes on and I have to Bleed the Brakes again and again on the Road where it happens. I am not sure what the Problem is since I keep Bleeding the Brake Lines. Any Suggestions?

Thanks.

Mike

anrkizm95
02-15-2013, 05:17 PM
pinched brake line or a problem with the lever.

user_deleted
02-16-2013, 04:53 AM
mike: what brian said above. do NOT continue to ride your uly until this is repaired as it's inherently dangerous with a faulty front brake. think of what you did during your h-bar replacement and front pad change. it can only be 3 things as brian mentioned:
1-your lever is not returning to full out due to something you did
2-brake line either pinched, mis-routed, or brake hose collapsed internally---or clogged.
3-you forced the caliper pistons into their bores which forced debris up the line into the master cylinder which is now clogging the return fluid port which has the brakes locked up.
can't think of anything else it might be without seeing the bike in person.

motorcyclemike
02-16-2013, 10:01 AM
OK Thanks Guys. I am going to take everything apart and then use another used very good Master Cylinder and new Brake Line which I Have and new Dot 4 Fluid. I am thinking when I pushed the Caliper Pistons in for the New Brake Pads it got Dirt in something and is letting Air in or causing some other Problem. Seems that when the Brake Pads start to Heat up it is expanding the the Caliper Pistons and then it applies the Brakes stopping the Bike until I open the Bleed Screw and let out some Fluid again.

Thanks again Guys.

Mike

Dingo
02-16-2013, 12:53 PM
with installing new pads,you pushed the pistons in to the Caliper and Brakefluid up into the master Cylinder....maybee you have too much Brake fluid in the Reservoir now ... screw of the cap and check.....

motorcyclemike
02-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Hey Guys to much Fluid in the Master Cylinder is not the Problem I have been checking it after Bleeding the Brake. Anyway I got the Master Cylinder and Brake Line changed out and took apart and cleaned the Caliper and now I am trying to get the new Brake Fluid from the Master Cylinder though the Brake Line to the Caliper, anyone know a Trick to doing this without a Vacuum Pump?

Mike

Theycallmecrash
02-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Pump pump pump hold bleed, pump pump pump hold bleed, repeat until all air is out.

Dingo
02-16-2013, 07:21 PM
go and get one of these....(the Bigone!)
put a small hose over the tip and Bleederscrew and Inject the Brake Fluid till it fills the Reservoir... to get the rest of the Air out you Pump pump pump hold bleed .. till lever is hard...:)http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/12386_20130216131740_L.jpg

user_deleted
02-17-2013, 06:03 AM
some folks have had good results with dingo's suggestion but i never have. just means i couldn't get it to work. having said that, crash is correct. fill m/cyl. reservoir to tip-top, install cap, fully and quickly pump the brake lever....something like 15 times or so. then hold it on, crack bleeder, bleed off air, close bleeder, release lever. eventually you'll feel firmness but it takes some serious pumping of the lever to get there. two things that make the job a whole hell of alot easier is: 1-place clear line over top of bleeder screw and run it into small bottle. that way you can see air bubbles V. clear fluid and makes job much cleaner and easier. 2-next time you do a job like this and before you attach the brake hose to the caliper, disconnect any hose clamps, bring caliper end of hose up towards m/cylinder, put it in small container of brake fluid, and bleed it. then attach to caliper and bleed system as you normally would. cuts the time in 1/2.

motorcyclemike
02-17-2013, 09:39 AM
OK Thanks Guys. I left the Bleed Screw open and the lever in with a Zip Tie over Nite hoping Gravity would work but that did not work. I will try Pumping some more but did a lot Yesterday and it did nothing. I will try Pumping again but think I need a Pump to push or pull the Fluid in.

Mike

motorcyclemike
02-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Hey Guys I am Frustrated! I used a new Master Cylinder, new Brake line and took apart and Cleaned the Caliper and then rented a Brake Bleeder that was Broken, but then went to Harbor Freight and got a Brake Bleeder for 27.00 and after getting everything done the Bike is still having the Problem, could it be bad Brake Pads? or Air in the Caliper? got to be one of the other.

Mike

Dutchbuell
02-23-2013, 01:07 AM
It is probably your brake lever. Or the new pump. If the gap between the lever and the plunge is too little the brake fluid can't flow back in the reservoir. It builds up pressure while driving because of the vibration and your brakes will engage. Check if there is free play between lever and plunge.