PDA

View Full Version : Wheelies

Pages : [1] 2

congersCG
05-09-2007, 09:58 PM
OK I really don't think I'm ready for this but are any of you Buell riders pulling wheelies on your bikes? Can it even be done with the bike stock? I really don't want to destroy my bike, but that stuff sure looks fun. Let me know if you have accomplished this daredevil feat.[cool]

BuellPartsGuy
05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
I used to on a daily basis. Got brave enough to even lift a foot off to the side now and again. Second gear about 4800, stand up, pre-load it, nail it and ride it out

congersCG
05-09-2007, 11:23 PM
What does it mean to pre-load a wheelie?:D

onebadblaz
05-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Pre-load the suspension...it helps pop the bike up! your actually compressing the suspension with your weight and when it rebounds up you gas it and it helps the bike up. Its easier on the bike than clutching it to pop it up! I pull 3rd and sometimes 4th gear stand up wheelies on my Buell xb12s/Firebolt.I cant ride it without ripping wheelies on it....The group of guys I ride with video from time to time so I'll get some footage sometime[up] It is a gift and a course though....I went down 2 weeks ago shifting a wheelie from first to second.

07xb12rblack
05-10-2007, 04:46 AM
My xb12r can roll on 1st and 2nd.. No clutching or compressing, just the natural raw power.

USAbikesrule
05-10-2007, 05:52 AM
If you can't wheelie a Buell, you can't wheelie. So-o-o-o simple to do a balance wheelie or power wheelie.

congersCG
05-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Ok so if I power roll a wheelie, about how many rpm's till I can exspect the front end to get light? And how hard do I have to accelerate into the wheelie(1st gear)?
Last question for the dare devils out there, My bike starts to shake in the front end at about 110 mph, should I push thru it, do I need to invest in a stering dampner, is this normal for the XBS series?

hottoddy69
05-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Not Normal......My '07 XBR doesn't shake at all. (up to 138mph)
But, I plan to invest in a steering dampner. (Wish that Buell included it on their bikes)

azsnow
05-23-2007, 11:07 PM
I have a 9 and I can do a roll on wheelie as well in 1st and 2nd. There is actually a video on youtube that will teach you to do a wheelie! Buell=easy wheelies!

congersCG
05-23-2007, 11:15 PM
I looked into the shaking at 110 mph for those who care, this is not a common thing so if you find your front end shaking at any speed you should take the bike back to HD for a look.

BuellPartsGuy
05-24-2007, 04:13 AM
Before you all spend the money buying a stabilizer (not that its not worth it, I had one on my bike :)) I know that stepping up your headstem bearing adjustment helps some. I believe stock torque is 40ft/lbs, step it up 2-3 ft/lbs from that. No harm done and a slightly tighter front end. Worked well on my bike before the stabilizer.

congersCG
05-24-2007, 10:08 PM
:D Hey thank for the info your actually the secound person I've heard that from, Im going to git it a shot.

maybebuell
05-28-2007, 01:13 PM
syn oil helps the bike wheelies

BadS1
05-28-2007, 04:38 PM
I'd like to see a 12 power wheelie in second gear with no clutch. I've owned mine since 04 and it won't. Infact I know several others and they won't. They will easy with a little clutch action though.

woodardj84
05-28-2007, 04:46 PM
I've done it several times in my 07 12r

BadS1
05-28-2007, 05:18 PM
at what rpm ??? These bikess just don't have it in second without clutch. S

B_Brad
05-28-2007, 06:51 PM
I have a 04 XB12R and in second gear can only do a roll-on wheelie while standing. I like to use the clutch but it can be rough on the clutch.

maybebuell
05-28-2007, 08:55 PM
i have a 173 ci R&R MOTOR that wheelies all day long in any gear

congersCG
05-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks everyone for all the post on this topic. It realy doesn't bother me to be seen as a newb, so thanks for the help. I finally got my front tire off the ground ever so gentley, am very hesitant to open the throtel to fast, how high are your RPMs when the lift occures, and how hard do you accelerate? :D

v12tiger
05-30-2007, 02:14 AM
2nd will definitely raise up without clutching.. atleast on 07 xb12r

v12tiger
05-30-2007, 02:16 AM
i have a 173 ci R&R MOTOR that wheelies all day long in any gear

In a Buell ?? :D

BadS1
05-30-2007, 02:19 AM
I'm not talk'n a foot here. I'm talk'n standing it up tp balancing point??? It won't and I've ridden several. Heck even help run Demo's at the dealership some time back. Those bikes as well won't and those are the factory demo bikes. My Tuber wouldn't and that had some slight work done and my 9 won't either. They all will with just a slight amount a clutch running at 4200 rpm.

v12tiger
05-30-2007, 02:25 AM
I suppose the definition of wheelie was where the confusion lied.

BuellPartsGuy
05-30-2007, 06:52 AM
Second gear about 4800, stand up, pre-load it, nail it and ride it out

Thats on a XB9. No problems powering one, no clutch needed. Thats not a foot tall either. Full stand up.

BadS1
05-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Buellpartsguy,

Come to homecoming and come to my bar Thursday night. I have Erik Buell playing for everyone and I'll let you use either my 9 or 12 and if you can do it I'll buy you a drink of what ever you want. If you can't a bunch and I mean a bunch of Bueller's will be there to see. Good luck

congersCG
05-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm not talk'n a foot here. I'm talk'n standing it up tp balancing point??? It won't and I've ridden several. Heck even help run Demo's at the dealership some time back. Those bikes as well won't and those are the factory demo bikes. My Tuber wouldn't and that had some slight work done and my 9 won't either. They all will with just a slight amount a clutch running at 4200 rpm.Thanks I kind of figured there was a answer.

BuellPartsGuy
05-30-2007, 07:14 PM
You can ask every single person I have ever ridden with, and also ask most of the service guys at my shop. The back of the shop is right off the off-ramp of the freeway, they saw it quite frequently. Just a '03 XB9R with a race kit and airbox delete. Nothing special.

And yes, I would love to come to Homecoming, but I am not going that far across the country again just to prove you wrong and drink for free at your bar :D. A lot of it is in the preloading. I can remember only a time or two where I hardly preloaded and got a full stand out of it. I never said I am just rolling onto the throttle and getting it to stand on end. I dont know if you are reading it properly

BadS1
05-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Not an arguement with me. I have what...6 friends thats race Buell's...there bike don't and won't. My two won't.There personal bikes don't and for some reason your 9 will. Please come to Homecoming. You'll have a good time meet alot of people. Hell I'll have a couple of the racer's there that night. Hell Erik will be there. You'll prove me wrong and be around the one thing ya love....Buell's and the people that ride them.I can afford you to drink my beer or Booze It'll be worth it to me. You couldn't drink enough to hurt my wallet. I don't need to ask your friends and co-workers. I've done a stoppie as lond as Craig Jones...don't believe me ask my friends. Kinda seev what I'm saying.

BuellPartsGuy
05-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Well, all I can say is I have done it with witnesses, and many at that. But I know where you are coming from when any Joe Blow can talk his mouth off about being able to ride. If I could ride at this point right now and had the time to come to Homecoming I would gladly do it. I would even bring my old Buell crew from Minnesota and come down and hang with you guys. I would give anything to ride right now. Hell, I would give anything just to be able to walk like a normal person and not be in pain trying to do so. Its just not in the cards at this moment.

BadS1
05-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Man.... what happened to you??? Thats sucks hope you'll be alright. I know I can come off hard sometimes but I'm not a bad guy. Seriously though if ya can't ride you can still hangout. Offer is open any time.

BuellPartsGuy
05-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Check that out. That might give you a little back story on it. lol

http://www.buellxb.com/article247.htm

onebadblaz
05-30-2007, 10:02 PM
I also power wheelies in second gear with no use of clutch! Mine are sit downs and i'm not talking foot tall power wheelies...I'm doing it on an xb12s with a firebolt tail! I run it up in the rpms dump out and snap back int the throttle she comes up sometimes a little to quick.

maybebuell
05-30-2007, 10:41 PM
only in my dreams Tiger

congersCG
06-05-2007, 10:15 PM
So I cant get my bike to hit a balance point. BadS1 Im going to have to agree with you so far, you have to clutch it and its hard as **** to keep it up. I dont want to fuC$%p my clutch, it just seem to be worth it. Guess Ill jsut keep playing in the cornners.
Thanks All

06xb9r
06-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I can't get my 9r to wheelie in second gear, even with clutch... Is it not running right?

BadS1
06-06-2007, 11:24 PM
First gear either my 9 or the my 12 will power all the way. 2nd though the clutch has to be used. Around 4500 0r so let the clutch fly and a hand full and she goe's up no problem. The 9 is just aliitle more work.

06xb9r
06-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah, first gear will stand all the way up, no clutch...not really a roll-on though. I have to run up the rpm's, get out of it, and crack it open...right up.
Maybe I just don't have the clutch/throttle right in second?

BuellPartsGuy
06-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Maybe mine was just snappy enough to do it. All I had was a Buell Race kit and an airbox delete.

mrdozer2you
06-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Ok I read what BPG and BadS1 have said. BPG is a big guy, did either of you 2 consider weight of the rider? BPG being a big dude can preload the piss out of his suspension, and with good weight control I'm sure he can roll on in second. Like BadS1 said he has friends who race and can't, well most pro riders are smaller framed hence they dont get enough preload, and don't have enough body mass to muscle the bike up. I'm sure what BPG does is similar to a friend of mine who rides a Super Hawk 1000. He can roll on in second and third, by using his body position. He gets the revs up, stands up, and drops the throttle a bit, jams it, and as it pops he drops his ass back towards the rear of the bike till it gets to the height he wants. Then stands up and rides it out.

I dont want to get into a pissing contest and I respect both you guys, but neither one of you mentioned rider size. This is the same reason I can easily get the front up with the misses on the back ( only done a couple times, its dangerous and she gets pissed off ) Not that shes a fat ass but an extra 100lbs is more than enough over the back of the bike to help alot.
Just my .02 and an awesome post !! [up][up][cool]

BuellPartsGuy
06-07-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm not that big of a guy but that is the method to my madness. THats how I do it is by shifting my body weight.

BadS1
06-07-2007, 10:12 PM
All the racers that I have said are between 180-190 lbs. I'm 215. One of the racers is slightly heavier then I. Sorry no pissing match.... I've ridden so many damn Buell's over the coarse of 8 years and even doing Demo's fora Dealer. Your not going to tell me a 12 will power wheelie up in second gear and if mine won't with a open box race ECM and a drummer ss and a very good condition clutch thats been on a dyno then I know yours won't without clutch. Like I said to partsguy.... he is excused for reason of a bum leg. But come to Homecoming and show us.

mrdozer2you
06-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Never said that I could do it. Its way too dangerous throwing your body weight/position all over especially on one wheel. Fall a little bit right or left and well.....I'll stick to my burn the clutch up wheelies thanks. All i'm saying is that with extra weight towards the rear its easier to power wheelies. 1st gear is no prob. 2nd gear, iv'e tried, got it to bounce but thats it. If I shifted my weight backwards while twisting hard while in the power band, maybe, thats a big maybe. Call me a pussy or whatever but it would be very dangerous trying to throw myself that far back while jamming the throttle. I'm afraid that either my foot will slip on the peg, or my hand from the grip, or twisting way too much on the throttle, or getting a bit shifted right/left. No thanks, I'll keep my vagina firmly on the seat and pop that clutch baby.

NL90
08-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Honestly if you have to ask about doing a wheelie you really don't need to be doing it.. Thats a no brainer[confused]

erniez
09-14-2007, 03:59 AM
Power wheelies suck [down] ask any stunter.. clutch is the way to go no matter what you ride (but remember to keep that back break covered at all times) I hav not rode any wheelies on my 08' xb12r yet still in the break in procces but cant wait to hit that balance point.

midlifecrisis
09-16-2007, 12:08 PM
NL90, everyone is a wheelie virgin at one point in their life. If someone asks how to ride a motorcycle are you going to tell them if you have to ask then it's not for you? Niall MacKenzie has a good second piece on the new GSXR1000 in TWO magazine a few months ago where he bemoans the high tech gizmos on new bikes, he says if you need a slipper clutch and three way fuel mapping on a streetbike maybe you shouldn't be riding such a crazy machine. Asking wheelie pointers is a safe way of going about it rather than trying things yourself.[smirk]

HDMan
09-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Anyone put their left foot on the passenger peg? My '04 xb12r has a k&n and a d&d n it jumps right up in 2nd.

NL90
09-20-2007, 04:24 AM
Midlifecrisis, I'm 16 years old. I just bought my Buell about 5 weeks ago. I have rode a wheelie from 1-4 no drop. I was a wheelie "virgin" My point is if you have to ask how to do a wheelie on a Buell you don't need to be doing it. And yes I would tell some one that. It's not hard at all. Pull the clutch and see what happens.. :p

BadS1
09-21-2007, 03:11 AM
1-4???? Prove it???

His_and_Her_Buells
09-21-2007, 05:04 AM
Midlifecrisis, I'm 16 years old. I just bought my Buell about 5 weeks ago. I have rode a wheelie from 1-4 no drop. I was a wheelie "virgin" My point is if you have to ask how to do a wheelie on a Buell you don't need to be doing it. And yes I would tell some one that. It's not hard at all. Pull the clutch and see what happens..

What was your bike when you were a wheelie virgin?

bdugal
11-05-2007, 06:26 PM
How do you find the balance point? I get nervous and put it down before I get to the balance point. How far back can I go before laying it down?

BuellPartsGuy
11-05-2007, 07:03 PM
If you have to ask a question like that, you shouldnt be attempting it at all.... [smirk]

bdugal
11-06-2007, 04:15 AM
Oh get off your high horse there captain cool. Everyone has to start somewhere. I posted seeking advice, not some smartass response. People like you ruin forums.

azsnow
11-06-2007, 04:49 AM
I will back BuellPartGuy on this, I have a 03 9, and I can roll on in first into a full wheelie, and it will stand up in second at the same RPM with a little preload, I dont ride it very far, (Because I just started trying crazy stuff) but it will stand up in 1st and 2nd. I don't know if my 265lbs helps or hurts the effort! I also only have race kit and air box mods. I do have to be cruising, and hit it just right, or it will only come up a couple of inches.

BuellPartsGuy
11-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Listen here bdugal, you can ask anyone on this forum, I am a great contributor on here as far as info and advice. I wasnt trying to play you down at all, learn to take a joke and quit trying to act like a hardass, wer're all friends here.

Its all in your comfort level. You should be able to wheelie in 1st and 2nd pretty easily. If you want to learn about where the balance point is, have a couple friends hold the bike up while you sit on it and hold the rear brake. You will want to go a little forward of that stationary balance point to compensate for the wind while moving. Beyond there its just practice.

dmp0001
11-06-2007, 08:40 PM
make sure you commit to the action and think it through first... otherwise you will end up with body damage (you and the bike)

bdugal
11-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I guess I got my panties in a bunch. Sorry buellpartsguy. Thanks for the advice. I'm not a new rider, just never pulled shenanigans on a bike before.

BuellPartsGuy
11-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Like I said, its all in the comfort and getting the guts up to work your way up to it by practice

Bam
11-11-2007, 09:55 PM
check it out. decent german wheelies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNH9FdymgtE

NL90
11-11-2007, 10:02 PM
To everyone who is doubting my wheelies I ride a 2003 XB9S
K&N Air Filter
Jardine Exhaust
Dobeck Fuel Injection

I am working on videos as I type this. I still have much ore to shoot. I haven't had my 1-4 wheelie on camera.
But I will just so you can watch it and pick your jaw up.

midlifecrisis
12-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Did the WPL GP yesterday (Walmart Parking Lot Grand Prix. After all, Dec 25 is the one day a year that it's empty) with a buddy. So at 40 yrs old I did my first series of INTENTIONAL wheelies. I followed the advice posted somewhere on this thread and it worked like a charm. First gear, run to 3000RPM, dump the throttle to load the front suspension, immediately WFO with a little tug and up she went without a problem. To tell you the truth it was fun. Years ago when I rode a Harley I always gave a Gixxer buddy a hard time about his high speed attitude. One day I ran with a Mercedes in a game of tag up I-95 at 120+ and I told this Gixxer friend that maybe I understood him a little better. Now at 40 with my 06 XB12R I'm just starting to appreciate a little 'stupid' fun. Off the public roads of course.

PAIRTBOW
12-27-2007, 04:57 AM
BAD S1, ide hate to break it to ya but my 04 xbr stands right up no problem in 2nd at about 45 mph 3500-4000 rpms i have proof thru video of me when i first got my bike its not a perfect stand up theres a lil chasin goin on but i promise it is so easy to pull 2nd on a stock buell 12r/s the video was from like 2 years ago, sense then i can stnad'em up all day pullin them up to the 12 position with out clutch copy n paste the link below

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=6442533

if this does not work plz let me kno

PAIRTBOW
12-27-2007, 05:02 AM
haha the more i read the more i see how silly this is ima post the video if i can on the main page for everyone to see that it is possible to pull a wheelie in 2nd at 4000rpms n about 45 mph WITHOUT A CLUTCH

maybebuell
12-27-2007, 04:11 PM
change of sprocket can do things like that

BuellPartsGuy
12-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Pairtbow, I have been saying that for a while now and hardly anybody believes me.

jsg
12-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Well I'm not an experienced buell rider but I did quite many demo days and even if your not supposed to wheelie it did happened to me by accident on a xb9s right after shifting to second gear without even trying to do it and where it started to get up if I had kept going it was up to stay there and ride it, but before getting in any kind of trouble with the demo staff I droped it back down ASAP

midlifecrisis
12-27-2007, 10:19 PM
In the latest issue of FUELL, they have an article on some City X stunt riders. You can clearly see the MASSIVE rear sprockets they're using.

PAIRTBOW
12-29-2007, 05:57 AM
holy **** theres video proof u clowns i do them ON A STOCK EFFIN BUELL 04 FIREBOLT XB12R WITH EASEEEEEEEE N ABSO****INLUTLY NO CLUTCH GO LOOK AT THE VIDEO FOR HEAVENS SAKE

PS: THANK YOU BUELLPARTSGUY AT LEAST SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS WHAT THEY R TALKIN ABOUT

PAIRTBOW
12-29-2007, 06:54 PM
y cant we just be friends n say "o wow u can do a roll on wheelie with yers, ive tried n a few of my buddies have n we cant seem to do it. maybe u could give me some pointers." me n parts guy seem to be the only ones who actually have an arguement with proof (refer to earlier post for video link) ide hate to repeat myself but come on guys lets get it together here. im in the upstate new york area n as soon as my bike is together n the weather breaks a bit ill be back out with the video cam n some friends so come on out n watch or stunt with us

XBear9S
01-01-2008, 01:14 AM
I've been poppin' 1st and 2nd gear wheelies on my '03XB9S since she was but a couple weeks old.

Thought I'd lost the ability when I changed out to my Jardine titanium, but did 100yards plus just the other day showin' off for some kids @ work...

Robtk! a.k.a. "SpecialK!"

"Stupid is as gearless Bueller does"
--Forrest "Lightning" Gump

shobbsww
05-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Guys I seldom post but often read. I know this thread is ancient, but along time ago I found this video and wanted to post it so all the non-believers will STFU.

Before I link, I want to announce that after some money and time I have added some extras to my 08' artic white / blue xb12r and will be making of a video of it soon for show.

While I have not yet rode wheelies for a good distance some one please give me pointers, because this video is ****ing insane!

(wheelies from 1st to looks like 3rd maybe 4th gear)
THIS IS SICKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Excuse the terrible music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUeiIMWwv0c

XBen12
11-09-2008, 06:49 AM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=P0UUnNjPzX0&feature=related

buell sponsored stunt rider giving commentary on how to do wheelies, sick!

also check out "ghost rider", the maddest wheelie, speedster, cop escape, mad man, ever, GOD!
seriously, check out ghost rider I couldn't wipe the grin off my face for hours...

FIDOSOL
11-09-2008, 12:45 PM
You can't even tell if he was clutching it or not because of the music, the only way to tell really is from the exhaust note...bummer..

Roccodart440
11-09-2008, 07:47 PM
He isn't clutching he is stading up on a firbolt. 1st off the pegs are back further

2nd off he is compressing the front suspension both manually and by letting off and then on to the throttle

3rd he is jumping down on the rear pegs

Since he is doing all this he doesn't have to clutch it up.

veeemdoubleu
04-23-2009, 02:37 AM
never did wheelies like I do now, and i bought a 12r 4 days ago. :D rode cbrs, ninjas for last 10 years nothing kept me smiling like this one. I feel stupid good riding the damn thing. and no second gear will wheelie just gotta lean back against the passenger seat and preload and snap. scared the crap out of me sometime tho :D

Jay

chuckanut
04-23-2009, 03:22 AM
I do it everyday leavin work :D

Trill
04-23-2009, 04:20 AM
easy 2nd gear roll ons with my 12ss If I put enough effort into it 3rd gear isn't so hard either.

MillerBuell
04-23-2009, 05:04 AM
holy ****'n **** balls... those videos or insane... got my buell few weeks ago. first wheelie i did was insane... first time i did a wheelie in first then shifted to second while still doing the 1st gear wheelie resulting in a even bigger 2nd gear wheelie was by far the most adrenaline rushing thing i've ever done... i literally stopped and pulled over on the road cuz i was shaking so bad... 2 mins later i was golden and back at!!!!

chase12s
04-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Buells are easy to wheelie because of the short wheelbase. I usually just dump the clutch in second gear around 2500 rpm. You gotta be brave tho. Find you a parking lot preferably with a little crest in the middle.

chuckanut
05-01-2009, 03:39 AM
nullhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn-IGhCiO7k
Sorry if repost

chuckanut
05-01-2009, 03:40 AM
Dang it!!

ridendude
05-01-2009, 04:48 AM
'nuther thing about ghostrider, he may be gone now.....
Looks like fun, but realize that every action has a consequence.....
amazing stuff he pulled off, but it had it's consequences...
whatever you do, know that **** can go really wrong really f'n fast!
otherwise..... have fun!!!

henri66
06-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Could not find it here, neither on the standard video channels on the web. But this guy (El Ruso) definitely rides the city! Barcelona, Spain.

El Ruso in Spain. (http://www.vimeo.com/3333627)

Y0RKV3GAS
07-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Well I got an XB9S I used to be able to roll on it hard in first an get it up sitting down but i am close to 10K miles now and I beat the piss out of it so it dont do it like it used to. A lil clutch action I got 1st and 2nd never really tried 3rd or standing up I am a wuss.

Shaun
07-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Sorry if its a stupid question, but can someone explain to me how to "clutch it"?
Do you pull certain revs in second (for example), then pull the clutch in and let it out quickly? Does this action make the front end pop up??

Ive just never done this sort of **** on a bike before. Seen too many bike accidents through work, but im interested to know how to do it!

Shaun.

fitzy2824
07-08-2009, 10:57 AM
hard to explain man, just pull it in and let it out as your gettin on the rev's, not too many revs or you will end up on ur ass. start trying it at lower revs til you get ur balls up to take it all the way up, then just keep changin gears till ur passin trucks on the highway :D no real need to use the clutch in first unless ur tryin to keep it low speed and in second i like to use the clutch for some reason maybe for better control, and it feels easier on the bike but if you do everything right you can roll it on to one wheel!
and keep ur foot near the rear brake for when u go back too far, jumpin on that thing will bring the front back down real quick :D

thats my best explanation anyway!on a xb12ss

BEWARE: once you learn it well you wont want to stop doin em !

i really dont know why mr Buell put a front wheel on these bikes???? maybe for parking i think!!:)

Dragonslayer
07-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm glad wheelies come to some guys so easy. I have to admit that I suck at wheelies. I can do a few inches in 1st with the clutch and that's all. I've tried to power it up exactly the way it's been said to do it, and all my bike does is lunge forward. I've got a stock 12R.

fitzy2824
07-08-2009, 11:59 AM
it does come easy to many but im sure anybody who has learnt to do it on dirt bikes before road has had many stacks getting it right.. i dont think learning to do your first wheelie on a road bike is the best idea, but you do have to learn somehow! the first one will be the hardest for sure but just knowing how hard the road is should keep you from flipping it :p nearly every bike has a way of getting it up, it's just up to the rider to work it out...

Trill
07-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I learned how to pop it up on a dirtbike but never got good at them. I am getting better on the buell though. Bike comes up real easy!

http://www.vholdr.com/node/33599

Shaun
07-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I thought they were awesome wheelies! Wish i could see your hands though, so i knew what you were doing with the clutch. Fitzy explained it pretty well though, so im pretty sure i know what he means.

Ill have to find a deserted parking lot now!

marko138
07-09-2009, 01:42 PM
I really suck at wheelies. I did them when I first got the 12R but I dont do it anymore. I'd pull it up a few inches and put it back down.

fitzy2824
07-10-2009, 12:44 PM
oh the buell is so much easier to wheelie than a dirt bike.. all that torque, much better control!! mmmm thats all i use my xb12 for haha need to learn a new party trick!! dont have the balls to try gettin the back wheel off the ground :D

PorcelainRabbit
10-13-2009, 06:24 AM
anyone around nashville have a buell that wants to teach me? im at the second gear preloading 30 foot wheelies at 45 miles per hour point ha. cant seem to ride them far. had to call an ambulance for a guy on a sv650 that was trying to show off nxt to me on the highway and went down at 55 doin a stand up right next to me. scared the piss out of me and kinda made me scared to try them again but i wana learn bad.

Abs
10-13-2009, 10:04 AM
I love doing wheelies on these things so smooth and easy to do.. Nice 2nd and 3rd gear stand up wheelies and they roll out awesome stoppies too.. Awesome bike to do tricks on..

driftingswiftly
10-13-2009, 11:09 PM
http://www.addictinggames.com/motorush.html

check out this little game. wheelies on it are fun. you can work your way up to a street bike

Trill
10-14-2009, 12:04 AM
I can usually go from 15-100 mph in a wheelie :)

I had to set it down at the end of first to straighten out on the road for the 2nd to third gear :D

video
http://www.vholdr.com/node/33599

driftingswiftly
10-14-2009, 02:11 AM
do you use the clutch to shift while you're up or just kick it. if you just kick it can you do it from first to second (passing N)?

Trill
10-14-2009, 04:14 AM
I use a little clutch

PorcelainRabbit
10-14-2009, 04:58 AM
is there any way to actually pop it up at interstate speeds or even around 55? or do you have to start in second and speed up in the wheelie? if not how do you raise her up at 55?

PorcelainRabbit
10-14-2009, 06:27 PM
?

07Bolt
10-14-2009, 08:12 PM
pre-load the front end. (bounce the hell out of it)with ur weight above the front end, then throttle and pull up,,,:p

Trill
10-14-2009, 11:55 PM
2nd gear at about 50 mph if I remember right.. haven't been able to ride lately so not certain. I just gas it till I feel the torque, let off and clutch up.

Abs
10-18-2009, 08:56 AM
When your in 2nd put your left foot on the rear peg keep you right foot on the riders peg and while standing up on the bike clutch it up.. Get the bike back to the balance point and ride the rear brake to control the bike.. Using this technique you can do awesome 12'oclock wheelies and slow them right down.. You will also have perfect balance while in this stance.. I do alot of stunt riding and this works very well for me in doing slow wheelies..

upthemaiden
02-12-2010, 07:04 PM
pre-load the front end. (bounce the hell out of it)with ur weight above the front end, then throttle and pull up,,,

I know this is an old thread but I'm bored at work.

This is one line that caught my eye. Make sure you're pulling back, and not up. I know it's not your first instinct, but that's the way inertia is already pulling so just go with it.

Has anyone come up with a good answer for this yet? I'm still in the market so i don't have any experience on a Buell, but I was looking at an xb9 and i'm gonna be pretty dissapointed if it's harder to wheelie than my old Triumph speed four. I never touched the clutch when I'd wheeelie, but I could do them in first just by giving it throttle and tugging on the bars sitting down, 2nd gear I had to stand up but a light bounce with throttle came right up around 65mph, and if you really wanted to throw your weight into it I could do the same in 3rd around 90mph with my feet on the normal pegs.

With this much torque I was hoping for a bike that would let me lift the front end in 2nd at least around 60mph without any clutch while I was still sitting down. Maybe I better try to find myself an XB12 instead! I'm not looking to mess around like I used to, but I still like to lift the front wheel sometimes when I leave a traffic light without having to stand up and bounce around on my bike like a monkey.

What mph does 2nd gear even top out at on an xb9/12??

07Bolt
02-12-2010, 10:29 PM
This is one line that caught my eye. Make sure you're pulling back, and not up. I know it's not your first instinct, but that's the way inertia is already pulling so just go with it.

When ur 6'5" 250lb, u tend too look straight-down at the head lights, so its up 4 me. back 4 ya shorties :D

http://www.ethanwiner.com/Smileys/Cool%20Man.gif

taylor
02-12-2010, 10:46 PM
you will never ever get a xb9 to wheelie at 90 let alone 60mph. i dont remember on the xb9 but my xb12 2nd gear tops out about 80mph.

Pockets
02-12-2010, 10:59 PM
95 so far on my XB9SX. Not wheelie mind you, but top end.

taylor
02-12-2010, 11:14 PM
95mph top end? i was talking about 80mph in 2nd gear.

taylor
02-12-2010, 11:15 PM
i better check that. ill rev it out later and see what i get

driftingswiftly
02-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Has anyone ever had a back peg fold up on them when they were doing a wheelie? Its something thatis always in the back of my head and is distracting.

upthemaiden
02-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Haha, you guys are too nice, redlining your bikes just so I can know how the gears are spaced. My friend could stand his old SRAD 600 up in 2nd gear around 80mph and take it over 100, it was pretty ridiculous. My triumph topped out around 65 in 1st, and I think around 90-95 in 2nd, and 115 in 3rd.

and yes, I'm only 5'8, 145lbs, so I can still move around pretty good and toss my weight, but as I'm sure you could assume it's not really upper body strength and pulling with my arms, I just throw my whole body back and hold on.

That folding peg thing had crossed my mind, but I don't really know that it's likely to happen. I never really messed with the back pegs, I hated the way the bike wanted to come up uneven when your feet were in different spots.

buelladdicted
02-13-2010, 07:07 PM
The only real wheelie advantages that our buells have are the short wheel base,light front end . Its not realy how much torque.In fact, the even torque and power charictistics are things they wheelie in spite of.What matters most with power wheelies is abrupt power development.Thats why we need to clutch fan,bownce,stand up,yank etc.especially in 2nd or third.If our total torque to weight werent as good, even the weight shifting tricks wouldnt work.A non epa cam with late timing and substantial overlap would be a big power wheelie plus,even though it would slightly lower the lower rpm power output. Especially on the xb9 with its shorter over square stroke.If my xb had the cams and headwork of my sportster,It would come up in 1rst,2nd just by holding the throttle open.Being able to do that, is what gets your higher speed wheelies without the dangerous antics that can cause loss of control and then BIG OWIES!

xtremelow
02-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Fun[up]

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/520_20091108155930_L.jpg

upthemaiden
02-13-2010, 10:12 PM
With all this talk of the torque and way the 9 vs 12 work, I haven't heard much about the differences between the xbs and xbr. From what I've seen they're putting out the same exact numbers as far as power goes. Is there any difference between the lightning and firebolt engines, or are they exactly the same?

taylor
02-14-2010, 08:19 AM
they have the same engine, tranny and gears.

stopie20
02-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah, my bike doesnt like to start wheelies above 60mph... I have done it a few times though in third gear with my right knee on the seat and plenty o clutch work she came up easy enough....
The bars I have are a little too wide to make typical stand ups comfortable.. [sad] but a second gear sit down can start any where from 10mph to 45mph and will cruise out nice at about 55mph as long as you like...:D

xtremelow
02-14-2010, 01:05 PM
The differance between Bolts and Lightnings simply is how you sit and how that causes a weight transfer on the bike.

A bolt bars cause you to lean forward, and the lightning gives you a more upright seating postion which makes transfering your weight back much easier.

I know my GF's lightning is a hell of a lot easier to wheelie than my bolt, even before I did the swing arm swap. although the drivetrain is the same it is like getting on a completely different bike.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/520_20090801002054_L.jpg

upthemaiden
02-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Yeah I remember how huge the difference was when I tried to put riser bars on my Speed four with the way the bike handled. I'm sure had I given myself time to get used to it wheelies would've gotten a ton easier, but in the brief couple days I had them on there the bike just felt less stable up front, which made me less confident and actually made it harder to do wheelies, even if my weight was shifted back more.

The lack of faster wheelies is the only real downside to the xb that's stuck in the back of my head now that I've decided to start looking for one, but then I keep trying to remember that I'm not 20 anymore and would really like to behave more anyway, so I think it would be a good thing. My previous plan was to find a gsxr750, and I'm pretty sure you could easily get the front wheel off the ground on one of those with throttle alone up to 100mph with your but firmly planted on the seat.

stopie20
02-14-2010, 02:17 PM
The newest GSXR 750 I have ridden was a 2004 and it needed the clutch to do anything in second gear @ about 50mph.

The best high speed wheelie bike I ever owned was a 2001 CBR 929 it would do stand ups in third gear @ 70mph and cruise on one @ 100mph... The zx-10 aint to shabby either, but you have to be going around 85mph just to start a third gear wheelie due to the tall gearing...

all in all I have to say I have lost the taste for the interstate warp speed wheelies, had a few friends get really hurt and had a couple very close calls myself, it was fun though at the time but now I got kids n **** to worry about.

Any of the bikes out there will wheelie at almost any speed thoug with the right technique I have a friend that used to start fourth gear wheelies on his 1994 900rr @ 20mph and ride all day at 50mph with the rpm's between 4500 and 5000, but he could jump on any bike and wheelie it at leats one gear higher than the owner... lol

dustin_usmc1
02-14-2010, 02:30 PM
I also have a wicked wobble at 110mph. Took it to Harley, got it fixed and now a few months later it is back, WTF??

stopie20
02-14-2010, 03:50 PM
I also have a wicked wobble at 110mph. Took it to Harley, got it fixed and now a few months later it is back, WTF??

While on a wheelie??? Or just riding?

07Bolt
02-15-2010, 01:25 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/joshuhwha/FNEGFs2lll0asod0jrt4iewjkrk1/4b2c1797.gif

BuddhaBuell
02-15-2010, 01:36 AM
LMAO!!!
:D

JREDLINE430
05-14-2010, 10:20 PM
i wheelie my bike everyday, i only have an exhaust right now... i wheelie first by rollon, second clutching it up i don't bounce it at all cause i really don't need to, third i rev up a little let go and pop up with the clutch, usually it comes up about 2 feet but i rode them out to about a 100 or so.... standing i can get pretty high sucks im not good enough to shift and keep it up again i can ride it to about 100... my favorite wheelie is coming out of a tight turn and just having a little floater, that gets tons of props

ride safe
stoop

Macbuell
05-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Unbelievably inconsiderate for that wheelie rider to scratch the chrome bumper on the explorer.

walker75
05-15-2010, 03:52 AM
I have done a wheelie on my xb9r on purpose just a couple of times,but it will pull the front off the road a lot going from first to second,do not pull wheelies too often since cracking my teeth with my first bike many years ago.

Tyler Oxton
07-14-2010, 08:58 PM
know this is an old thread but thought id post anyway. ive been workin a lil on my wheelies on my 9r but kinda have some difficulties. dont know if it has something to do with me only weighing 135 at 5ft 8 or what. it seems i have to clutch up even to pop in first. any tips for a small guy like me?

upthemaiden
07-15-2010, 05:32 AM
I have a ton of difficulty on my 9sl. It practically laughs at me when I try. I used to do them all the time on my triumph speed4, so I'm sure I'm out of practice, but not to the point that I should only be able to get the front wheel a foot off the front in 1st with the forks compressed and full throttle. I don't mess with the clutch, but this bike makes me want to. It's very sad for a 1000cc "torque monster".

Does anyone else here have a 9sl and any experiences? I've been debating buying the normal length suspension since I got the bike, and have gone back and forth, but the hope for easier wheelies is definitely in the pro catagory. All that mass centralization and lower center of gravity sounds great until you realize it means your front wheel is going to stay planted.

theend1467
07-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Same problem here, I can clutch up my xb9sx in first gear but to stand it up high takes some serious effort. I see videos of guys doing wheelies on buells and it sounds like the just pull the clutch in a blip the throttle really fast and the bike stands up, a 1/2 second process. If i am riding at 3k and pull in clutch, i have to rev to at least 5k and dump it to get it to come up. the process is not as fast as I see in youtube videos, I must be doing something wrong or am not making good power. I have airbox delete, breather reroute, hawk exhaust, k&n on 2009 xb9sx

vroom
07-15-2010, 01:58 PM
I lack the balls to do full on wheelies on blacktop. I did them all the time as a kid, on dirt. But here's a tip: if you clutch it, make sure you don't use 4 fingers for the clutch. Use 2 so your hand doesn't slip off the handlebar.

upthemaiden
07-15-2010, 07:50 PM
yeah you've gotta get pretty comfortable to use the clutch since there's a lot going on and the bike comes up fast. I actually got my 9sl to do it's first couple half decent wheelies tonight, which I was really surprised about. I was still just compressing the forks and giving it gas, but I gave the gas a good jerk right before I let off the throttle, and it seemed to help. I still feel like it'll be easier someday when I get the longer suspension.

TooFst
07-15-2010, 07:58 PM
u need to "goose" the throttle. Get up in the rpm range, let off the throttle then gas it. If u just punch it from take off it won't do anything.

delta one
07-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Does anyone else here have a 9sl and any experiences?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_HKanKlLcYkQ/TDogXhdSUzI/AAAAAAAABHg/BLfsLYNcMCE/s640/self.jpg

an XB9SL has no issues pulling the tire up even with my fat ass and clubman bars

clutch it up
throttle it up
load the forks
bang gears

any of the above will get it up

my bike is now firebolt height with 43mm fork tubes and race springs, it is MUCH easier to get the tire up but harder to get a good launch and keep the tire down.

Midnight82
07-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Delta - You make me want to be a better man

upthemaiden
07-16-2010, 11:24 AM
my bike is now firebolt height with 43mm fork tubes and race springs, it is MUCH easier to get the tire up

glad to hear, that's definitely something I was wondering. I wanted to get the normal suspension either way, but I was really hoping the higher suspension would help. I'm also getting a 9sx seat off of a friend for comfort on longer trips, and I'm thinking the extra seat height will help too.

JREDLINE430
07-20-2010, 07:21 PM
keep an eye on your fork seals

delta one
07-20-2010, 07:30 PM
most of my wheelies are about 6 inches, once I get proper weight transfer I don't try any more.

when I do pick the front up farther than that I set it down soft, less impact than some of the nasty Michigan road seams on the highway.

if I am power shifting I get about 2-4" going into 2nd and 3rd

wheelies over 6" make me VERY nervous, the one above was just to get the photo for an assignment.

ga705
07-21-2010, 01:44 PM
me and another xb9 rider in town do 3rd gear stand ups...roll bout 4500 rpm left foot on passenger peg right foot covering rear brake and clutch it up and comes up smooth as butter just kick back and ride it out..they usually will come up anywhere from 50mph to 60mph in 3rd gear ...2nd and 1st are the easiest wheelies ever on a buell haha it should be a joke to wheelie in 1st on a buell...on my R6 id run a 2nd gear standup from 20mph to right at 98mph when i set the front tire down..nothin beats the *chirp*

upthemaiden
07-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Lost my passenger pegs the first night I brought my bike home, plus I don't like to abuse the clutch... [down]

I'm just gonna save up for a bike I don't mine abusing so I can keep the buell around for a while.

upthemaiden
07-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Test road my friends Triumph speed 4 tonight. He just picked it up last Friday. It's the same bike I used to have but apparently I forgot what it felt like. Good god that thing was fast, it definitely make my xb9 feel sad. I pulled out of the parking lot and gave it full throttle and you could just feel the front end getting light and squirrely. I turned onto a side road, took it to 6k rpm, and without loading the suspension or anything I just gave it a handful of throttle and the front end came RIGHT UP! haha I know we've been over it 100 times here that a 600 is faster than an xb, but it never really sinks in until you ride one again. That really motivates me to replace my sl suspension with a normal s suspension, and maybe an exhaust/remap someday. I don't need any high speed highway wheelies, but I do really miss my 1st gear power wheelies. To be honest the low end on that bike really wasn't any weaker than the low end on my bike either. Maybe normal I-4s have weaker low ends, but even on his bike at 3k rpm it pulled extremely well.

I already planned on picking up a 2nd bike next fall, and I feel like I'm going to have to replace my xb9 with an xb12, because otherwise it's just going to feel like a wimp every time I get on it.

RuiP
09-16-2010, 10:57 AM
pulled a couple of wheelies yesterday for my gf. just bought the bike sept 8th as a bday gift to myself so I'm still getting used to it. tried some 2nd gear clutch ups.. too fast for me. so i clutched a couple up in 1st gear. felt like a champ lol

RuiP
09-16-2010, 11:03 AM
oh I pretty much bought the bike on a whim, kind of wished i looked for a 12 though. I previous bike was a cbr 954rr before this so i figured 984 cc's would be more than enough power.. But I still prefer riding the buell though, my wrists dont hurt anymore, the power is more practical and I can flog the poop out of it all day. so fun!

upthemaiden
09-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Hey Delta, I see you have a new pipe on there. I know I'm hoping the longer suspension will help my bike wheelie easier, but how much of a difference did you notice with the exhaust(assuming you put on a new map and filter?). I have an exhaust on and a filter waiting in the box but have had a hard time getting a new map on. I'm really hoping the HP bump from all of it will help me out a bit but I was curious how much of a difference you noticed when the low suspension when you first put the map on.

RuiP
09-16-2010, 01:15 PM
any bike can be wheelied. May not be able to do it with throttle power alone but thats what clutches are for, it just takes some skill and of course cahones..

upthemaiden
09-16-2010, 02:38 PM
haha, the problem is that that's exactly not what my clutch is for :D

I've definitely done a couple small ones with the clutch, and it comes up easily enough but I hate abusing it. It'll get there eventually. I have high hopes for the bike.

RuiP
09-17-2010, 10:07 AM
well technically your bike is not built for wheelies either... and i would think wheelies would constitute some form of abuse on the bike, but so what right, they're fun

RuiP
09-21-2010, 06:33 AM
OK this bike is a legitmate wheelie machine, I find myself clutching them up all over the place just for the heck of it now. Nothing sepctacular just little wheelies after every stop or so.. lol I need to stop I'm before I get a ticket.

PorcelainRabbit
09-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Noah and his girlfriend were killed in an accident in Portland Tennesee, when a man pulled out in front of them. They were both killed instantly. He rode a Buell and we're are having a motorcycle ride in their honor to raise funding for a billboard to raise awareness for motorcyle drivers/riders. email wilsonpd64@aol.com or wrs106@aol.com for more information. Buell.com forum sent flowers to the funeral home and we appreciate you all thinking of our family. If you have any ideas on funding to help on the billboard please shoot us an email. The ride is Oct.2nd, registration at 12:30 in Portland Tennessee, at Victory Assembly Church -North Russell St. 15 per vehicle, cars/trucks/motorcycles welcomed!organizer: Jay McClain 615-325-3556

Thanks again,
Phil & Sheri Wilson
Ride Safe!!!

upthemaiden
10-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Just swapped out the suspension on my xb9sl tonight to the normal length S/R suspension. It's like a whole new bike! I just took it out for a short test ride but I was lifting the front wheel everywhere. Setting it back down felt so much nicer as well with the extra travel in the forks. It's definitely a bit of a relief after remembering how dissapointed I was after the first time I tried to do a wheelie on this bike and barely got it to budge.

Now I'm looking forward to getting my race map sorted even more just to see how much better it gets with a couple extra HP.

brightbuell
10-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Ok, guys here is a good way to learn. About a third the way through this vid is a great show and tell for wheelies. Looks simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0UUnNjPzX0

vroom
10-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Saw a guy doing a wheelie the other day out of a subdivision. No helmet. Also, cop behind.
Not cool, just stupid.

bobaganoosh
10-20-2010, 12:42 PM
i cant keep the front end down in first just if i punch it and i can shift into second now and keep it up on my 05 9sx. cant keep it up into third. it does come up a little when i shift into third but i cant ride it yet in third. if u cant wheelie just sit back on the seat a little more on the seat and dont be scared.u just got to get the feel for it though

upthemaiden
10-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Do you have a racemap on your bike or is it stock? I do fine with wheelies, I used to do them constantly on my old bike(600cc with only 5hp more than my 9sl), but they were significantly easier on that bike than the XB, I was just surprised when I first bought my XB. It's a lot better now that I've got the normal suspension.

bobaganoosh
10-20-2010, 03:51 PM
yeah jardine with k&n and racee map definitly helped but it still did them when i had just the jardine and nothing else.

mowgoli84
10-20-2010, 09:36 PM
I cant keep the front end down through first and second, no clutch needed.. sometimes pull third up a little. 07stt race ecm, jardine rt1, k&n

Macbuell
10-20-2010, 11:08 PM
04 12. 1st gets me through an intersection on 1 wheel. 2nd will pop it up for a short time. Never in 3rd. Maybe I will have to try harder. I never sit back when accelerating hard, not one for wheelies. Faster to keep wheel down :)

upthemaiden
10-21-2010, 05:28 AM
07stt race ecm, jardine

I'll bet that STT suspension is nice for wheelies. It's a bit taller than the normal S right?

chevnut55
10-21-2010, 05:57 AM
take your bike to the drag strip and have fun trying to keep the wheel down.i was still lifting the wheel past 1/2 track in 3rd!

delta one
10-21-2010, 10:19 AM
I'll bet that STT suspension is nice for wheelies. It's a bit taller than the normal S right?

Yes it is, but the 08+ Ss is the same height

But I am betting the extra length and weight farther foreword from the rear axle help negate some of that too, but not all I am sure

xtreme6669
10-21-2010, 05:55 PM
I was playing a little the other day on the CR and found I could pull up 4th gear stand ups with little effort!

delta one
10-21-2010, 08:04 PM
I was playing a little the other day on the CR and found I could pull up 4th gear stand ups with little effort!

yea I test rode an 1125R and couldn't keep the nose down, roll on wheelies in 3rd by accident!

lifeisafractal
10-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Is the S easier to wheelie then the Scg? I've think I've seen that mentioned before, but I can seem to figure out why taller suspension would make it easier. Also, I have an Scg, no problem power wheelie in fist, not happening in second w/o some preloading.

delta one
10-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Yes the S is easier to wheelie

It's a matter of leverage
The same reason people lower a drag bike (or at least a big reason)

upthemaiden
10-22-2010, 04:14 AM
That's exactly what I just went through. I bought a 9sl(9 version of the 12scg) and it was way too difficult to wheelie for a 984cc bike. I just put the normal S suspension on and it made a world of difference. The taller suspension means a higher center of gravity, so it's easier to shift the weight off of the front wheel.

straightpipeit
12-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Put your butt a couple inches back from normal. Accelerate in 1st to 3000-3500 rpm, romp the go stick and blip the clutch. It will wheelie. Don't look left or right in the beginning and don't worry if all you see is handlebars and airbox. It takes a **** load of effort to loop it out. My 2cents = sit down wheelies look cooler. And don't worry about looking dumb when you miss it, I do it all the time and then pretend like I just wanted to accelerate fast anyways! The only time its embarrasing is when you miss 1st to 2nd and find neutral which results in very high revs, slamming the nose down and sometimes feet off pegs with the bike slappin the piss out your nuts left to right as you try to regain control before you hit your uncles Prius who you where trying to show off to start with. I don't know from experience.

cb750
12-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Every time I get the front off the ground my feet come off the pegs and I grab the clutch.

upthemaiden
12-30-2010, 07:24 PM
How do your feet come off of the pegs? Are they sliding backwards? Sounds like you either need to hold on tight to the frame with your knees, or if you have one of the normal S or SCG seats you can scoot your butt back into the lip on the back so it'll support your weight.

delta one
12-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Every time I get the front off the ground my feet come off the pegs

I always found the stock pegs to be a bit slippery too especially with a race boot style tread (neary any A-star boot that isn't dirt or touring).
LSL footpegs will solve your problem, so will traction pegs if you can find any.

cb750
12-31-2010, 06:31 AM
I've got Cycle Pirate pegs on it right now, and i'd prefer to have longer pegs that support my feet all the way across.

The bike is an '08 12 Scg with a Hawk pipe on it. It feels like it wants to power wheelie, but it never does. when spring comes I will log some data and try Tunerpro again.

I think my feet coming off the pegs is an "oh ****" reaction. I guess I'm scared of looping it. I've watched some wheelie videos, but I don't really know of a place nearby where I can practice without disturbing people.

upthemaiden
12-31-2010, 08:25 AM
I've watched some wheelie videos, but I don't really know of a place nearby where I can practice without disturbing people.

It's a sad trade off of exhausts. They make your bike sound great, make you want to ride faster and goof off more, but if you're not looking to be completely obnoxious to everyone around you, you spend too much time just trying to keep your bike semi-quiet.

If you're still new to doing wheelies you're probably subconsciously throwing your weight forward or doing something else to keep the front wheel on the ground, even if you'd like it to come up. It's just a build in safety feature of your brain and I remember fighting with it pretty hard when I started to learn years ago. I haven't ridden a 12, but when I got my 9 it had the lowered suspension and it definitely made things a bit harder. Once I switched it to the normal S suspension my front end felt a lot lighter.

migs16
12-31-2010, 08:35 AM
ok im running into a problem with my wheelies. every time i clutch up the bike goes up effortlessly but once the wheel is completely off the ground i hear like a bang and then once i come down the hole front end has some play in it and i always have to lift it and tighten it back down. Is there any way to avoid this?

straightpipeit
12-31-2010, 09:35 AM
upthemaiden, My feet have come off the pegs forwards from putting the front end down too hard when missing a gear. Hell, maybe I'm too fat, I don't know.

straightpipeit
12-31-2010, 09:43 AM
ok im running into a problem with my wheelies. every time i clutch I think there is something wrong, missing, not tightened properly on your bike. I have beat the living snot out of my front end and replaced about half a dozen fork seals without ever tightening the head.

delta one
12-31-2010, 10:16 AM
my first check would be steering head bearings.

freak2180
12-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Im too fat to do wheelies :D

cb750
12-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Yeah, probably a safety feature in my brain. Maybe im still in the mindset of wheelie-ing a pedal bike, you can just slide off the seat on to your feet if you think you are going too far up.

The hawk pipe supposedly has more torque than the sticker. It had a jardine on when I bought it.

Yes I know o am moving weight forward, I guess I am anticipating the extra throttle amdi lean forward to keep from yanking on the bars. (And my shoulders)

anrkizm95
01-01-2011, 12:35 PM
P0UUnNjPzX0&feature=channel

cb750
01-02-2011, 01:15 PM
watched that one... watched a few others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqVJmsF6hU&feature=fvst

Eviltwins
01-02-2011, 05:09 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8674_20110102093343_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8674_20110102093708_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8674_20110102110210_L.jpg

I have built hundreds of twin motors, the majority in Buells,otors and no stock 12 will wheelie in second seated.

1. More torque on the stem will make it more stable.
2. Lower preload in the back and more in the front will help.
3. Weight reduction is a good thing in the air.

The bike pictured is stripped of every ounce, punched to 1480CC, Water and O2 injection, lumpy cams, counterweights removed from the crank, hollow stator, and seeing 142HP on the rear and it barely pulls up seated in Second. I can pogo it up in 4th even but no stock 12 wheelies in second.

upthemaiden
01-02-2011, 05:14 PM
142hp and will barely pull up in 2nd??

I just found this video for the first time. It was pretty decent...

M9J62bDqT6M

anrkizm95
01-02-2011, 05:32 PM
if you say so.how much do you weight?

vroom
01-02-2011, 05:38 PM
He's probably talking about roll on power wheelies. Mine won't or I don't have the skills.

EvilRX
01-02-2011, 05:51 PM
that last video looks like he is in first gear the whole time

delta one
01-02-2011, 05:53 PM
I just found this video for the first time. It was pretty decent...

XB9 me thinks

Eviltwins
01-02-2011, 06:03 PM
202lbs. I guess I should be clear, a power wheelie is just a roll on with no pull in second that is over freeway speed just roll the throttle and it lifts. That is a balance wheelie, I am just talking power.

anrkizm95
01-02-2011, 06:07 PM
[up]that sounds better.and i thought i had a special buell.[sad]

upthemaiden
01-02-2011, 06:11 PM
XB9 me thinks

I didn't post that video in response to the 2nd gear wheelie discussion. I just found the video and figured this thread was the place to share it.

delta one
01-02-2011, 06:21 PM
I didn't post that video in response to the 2nd gear wheelie discussion. I just found the video and figured this thread was the place to share it.

I yea I know, I just thought it was nice to see a 9 out there getting some.[cool]

Eviltwins
01-02-2011, 06:35 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8674_20110102093025_L.jpg

My carbon kevlar is just a motor build special, This new project is (spcial), 100% hand built single sided front and back.

bobaganoosh
01-02-2011, 09:02 PM
are u building it to do wheelies? why did u put it here

Loki
01-03-2011, 02:03 AM
I think he just wants to show off. Hes postedit everywhere lol

cb750
01-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Is that propane powered?

cb750
01-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Damn this thread! Here I am reading about wheelies and it's 20 degrees out. :(

kkjc63
01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Did somebody say propane, I think thats Hank Hills bike?

theend1467
04-13-2011, 03:26 AM
question for you guys, i can clutch up my 9 in 1st and second. The most I lift the tire off the ground is 1-2 feet. I am having trouble taking it past this point, I used to ride wheelies on my dirt bike but I wiped out every now and again. My xb9sx is a 2009 with 4k miles so I don't want to drop it. Anyone have the same trouble when they were learning wheelies? Also, i try to focus on using my rear break incase I get too high but as soon as my front tire leaves the ground my mind forgets about the break.

upthemaiden
04-13-2011, 05:05 AM
You can clutch an xb9s up in 1st and 2nd. You can get it up in 1st without the clutch, but 2nd you need the clutch(unless you want to stand up and bounce it, but I've never really tried). I've only tried 2 or 3 times in 2nd, and I took it pretty easy because I didn't actually have intentions of riding it up, I just wanted to see if it would come up. It came right up with a little slip of the clutch so there shouldn't be any problem getting it all the way up if you really try.

I would assume it's only coming up a little because you're hesitant to crash your bike, not to mention the xb is a lot heavier than the dirtbikes you're used to. Any chance your foot is pressing on the brake while you're trying to do it? That would keep the front end down. Have a friend ride behind you when it's not too bright to tell you if your brake light comes on as soon as you do it. I've seen plenty of people do wheelies and as soon as their front wheel comes off the ground their brake light comes on, just because that's an awkward angle for your foot.

lightning SS
09-22-2011, 08:25 AM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/10710_20110711032023_L.jpg

Just BONE OUT

chevnut55
09-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Im all set with anything past 2'. i used to ride wheelies on my ninja and atv all the time.
I tred a buddys junked out stnut bike with a broke throttle return..that worked in the reverse direction,I rhode it to the tail in 2nd and the throttle was stuck heding to the other bikes..and mine so I tossed it at 30-40 mph and riped bolth my acls in my knees ..that sucked 5 years latter 3 years after surgery they still hurt.
also seen too many nice bikes totaled and do end o's . grab a dirt bike and a grasy spot wear some gear and have at it! the rest of you thaks in advance for parting your bikes.

1972c10
09-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Im with this guy/\ I pop it up here and there but never let it get to the balance point, I save all the stupid stuff for my dirt bike

cb750
11-13-2011, 07:31 AM
How should I set up my suspension to help lift the front?

pokon
11-13-2011, 07:51 AM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8078_20111113014918_L.jpg

We can do it also in Finland :):D

TooFst
11-13-2011, 08:13 AM
^^^^ nice pic!

xtreme6669
11-13-2011, 09:34 AM
[up][up][up]

Johny Kidd
11-13-2011, 11:02 AM
^^^ Nice one! :) next summer we have to take more action photoshoots! ;)

STL XB12Ss
11-13-2011, 11:18 AM
We can do it also in Finland

bad ass!! that would be a good one for the calendar. [up] send it to Dave without the water mark and I will gladly post that up in my apt and at the shop!

user_deleted
11-15-2011, 05:35 AM
and while you're at it...NEVER buy a used bike of any kind from an alleged "wheelie" expert. LOL:D

freak2180
11-15-2011, 07:01 AM
My fat ass needs to loose some weight!!! Well that and a new clutch prob wouldnt hurt....lol. I cant even get my 12r to pop a 6in wheelie in 1st......forget about it in 2nd.

vroom
11-15-2011, 11:16 AM
I think the extra weight would help if you slide back on the seat. I'm only 160lbs, but I still need to slide back on the seat in order to do good roll on wheelies. I just get the revs up in first gear(4500 or so) snap off the throttle and snap it back on full immediately. Front comes right up. Scares the crap out of me every time.

freak2180
11-15-2011, 11:54 AM
If I moved back any further I would be sitting on top of my pillon cover. My bike has almost 14k miles and Im the 3rd owner. The second owner had the clutch and front brake levers powder coated and this caused them to bind......you had to actually pust the clutch leaver out about 1/8in to have it compleatly engauged. That and the clutch cable was in need of a adjustment. Im sure my 250lb lard ass dosent help any either....lol. No worries though. Im ordering a new clutch from EBR and will see where it gets me.

Mad_Dax
03-05-2012, 05:11 PM
I cannot roll up in first or second on my 07 xb12stt...if i am in first and about 4k-4500 and snap throttle and pull back hard the front wheel comes up about 6-12 inches..then falls. Forget 2nd gear wont do at all. You guys must have some more torque than mine or maybe my slightly longer wheel base is the issue. I am 170lbs 6'2"

g3STRIKES
03-05-2012, 07:31 PM
my stock 9r would power up easily in first, race ecm n factory race pipe. it was an o3 also, however wen i changed the pipe it refused till i did some pressure playing

pamver
04-13-2012, 11:09 AM
i want to start to practice wheelies on my xb12s (stock)

but at how muth rpm should i pop the clutch to get it up (not up tp balancing point)?

thx

Jon0341
04-13-2012, 11:54 AM
For learning I recommend not using the clutch because even on a stock Buell they pull hard enough that they will wheelie with roll ons easily in first and second gear and possibly third for some (some muscling and pre-loading required).

pamver
04-13-2012, 12:12 PM
i try to do power wheelies but it dosnt come up
so i prefure clutch

liquid51
04-13-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't see anyone in this thread with an XB12Ss. That extra 4" of swing arm makes it a little less prone to lifting on me, but she still does it every now and again when I'm a little too excited off the line :)

1st to 2nd, yeah, it'll kick up a few inches on me. 2nd to 3rd, not a chance. I mean, I guess if I preloaded the crap out of the forks... but I don't need to go there.

I really haven't even been riding for that long, so the Ss is working out perfect for me. I like giving her everything she's got and not having to worry about the front end comin' up on me... much ;)

pamver
04-14-2012, 01:51 AM
maybe its becaus i have a EU buell?
82.6PK@6783rpm / 90.8Nm@ 5633rpm

PonyXB12
04-24-2012, 10:54 AM
To anyone trying to learn how to wheelie start in 1st and practice power wheelies just lift it a lil and set it back down. One thing I didnt see anyone mention, ALWAYS COVER THE REAR BRAKE. Tap the rear brake to stop you from going over backwards. Stunt bikes are set up with rear brake handles thats why those boys can have both feet free.

pamver
04-24-2012, 01:04 PM
i did try power wheelies first but it wont come up

PonyXB12
04-24-2012, 01:41 PM
These guys are talking about pre-loading the front end to help it come up. Thats why you see them "bouncing" it up on the vids. So in first gear run it up to like oh idk 4,500 rpm then let off of the throttle to get the font end to "compress" down and then floor it. It should pick up, stay in the gas enough to not flip over backwards, and if you get outta the throttle and its still going backwards tap the rear brake. the balance point is very far back tho, chances are you wont find it for a while.

bobaganoosh
04-24-2012, 03:53 PM
you should not have to preload it in first gear. you just have to grow some balls and punch it at about 4 grand with a slight tug at the bars. if it doesnt work sit back on the seat a little farther. 2nd gear you need to either preload it or dump the clutch

FIDOSOL
04-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Your positioning is important as well. I was having problems at first because when I really rip into the throttle I shift my weight forward as if by instinct. Once I realized this and made a conscious effort to maintain a neutral body position in regards to weight distribution, I had a lot easier time of it. Try scooting back on the seat an inch or so.

buellbradski
04-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Now when riding a scotts garden tractor with hydro static transmision the trick is to back up as fast as posible then put it all the way forward as quick as you can![cool] i found the black top allows you to ride it out further. You know just i case you were wondering if it was posible.:D

bobaganoosh
04-28-2012, 03:00 PM
It also helps if u have a buddy standing on the hitch

djohnk
04-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I occasionally wheelie by mistake on my Uly. A couple nights ago I was with a group of sport bikes and we all took off fast. As I was letting out the clutch and giving it gas it came up a good 12" before I reacted and let the gas off a little.

It always surprises me when my Uly lifts up because I weigh about 300 lbs. I have also power wheelied the bike, just to see if I could.

AgateJrXB12S
04-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I've got an 07 xb12s with an airbox delete, K&N, hawk exhaust and race ecm. It will bring the front end up rolling on in 1st gear no prolem and will wheelie like a dream if you slip the clutch in 2nd gear anywere after 3300rpm.[cool]

Blastonia
04-28-2012, 06:16 PM
My new to me 04 xb12s wheelies on command in 1st with my 250lb lard arse on it.

TooFst
05-08-2012, 09:38 PM
http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz309/joshua11777/169b1eec.jpg

Rhino1
05-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Dang, you make that Buell look small.... LOL!!

PonyXB12
05-09-2012, 06:31 AM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/12987_20120423071403_L.jpg

GAXB9R
05-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Vertical limit ^^[up][cool]

skinner
05-09-2012, 07:17 AM
whatever you do dont dump the clutch and go wfo in first bad things happen lol

GAXB9R
05-15-2012, 07:00 AM
I know most of you hate harleys, but I thought it was pretty cool watching these do wheelies. Big bike to have in the air like that.[cool]

AFlhvc1P4Dc

netty2424
05-15-2012, 07:45 AM
There was a lot about that video I wasn't expecting! Lol!

But I didn't realize those could lift up!

bobaganoosh
05-15-2012, 08:43 AM
if you cant wheelie a buell that video should make you feel like a dumb ass

jcrosby4288
05-15-2012, 09:20 AM
So that's what happens when black people drive Harley's lmao smh

jcrosby4288
05-16-2012, 07:27 PM
dude i weigh 250 lbs and i dont need to pop the clutch in first just gas it!

Phazernut
05-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Ive never been a big fan of wheelies on the street bikes. My 09 12Ss with a K&N, Hawk and EBR ECM will power wheelie in 1st, 2nd and shifting into 3rd if I'm really hard on the gas. I just bring it up a few inches and then let it settle back. It would not do this before I installed the Hawk and ECM. I care too much about my bike and things like fork seals and such to be driving the front wheel back into the ground after a screwed up wheelie. Thats what my dirt bike is for.

Thaloc
05-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Wheelies... are good for the soul

sak1782
05-16-2012, 10:46 PM
To the member above talking about not many SS bikes and power wheelies...my stt has the ss rear and frame, and with my mods it will power wheelie in 1st and 2nd. A high rev hard shift into third with a hank will do it too.

krause95
06-14-2012, 02:00 AM
I cant get my 2009 xb12scg to power wheelie by rolling on the throttle at all, not even in first. I tried to clutch it up in second and nothing... The only way I can get it to come up is by clutching in first going really slow.

All of you guys say you can just lift the front up by getting on the gas? Im only 160 So I feel like this shouldn't be a problem with my bike...

Loki
06-14-2012, 02:14 AM
try this, CRUISE at about 3500 to 4000, then when you want to wheelie open the throttle.

If you are running stock pipes and ECM play with the rpms in the 3500 to 4500 range.

If it seems to want to come up some but just isnt, pull up alittle when you open the throttle.

Just start throttling more and/or pulling up harder till you get it. Just start slow.

GAXB9R
06-14-2012, 02:33 AM
Thought some of you would like that video.[cool]

08levin
06-14-2012, 04:12 AM
Check out this explanation. Basically, the closer the center of mass is to the rear wheel (L), the less force is required to pull a wheelie. Also, as the height of the center of mass increases (H), the required force to raise the front wheel reduces as well. Of course these two need to be considered together, so rider position is still important. A heavy rider will likely increase the height of the center of mass (unless they are some squat machine with no upper body mass), but if they ride further forward, which increases L, the height difference could be cancelled out.

Taking the rider out of the equation, an S will wheelie easier than an Scg just due to the height difference.

Another variable I can see is suspension set up. If you have it really soft, then the bike is going to squat down and effectively reduce H, and increase the required force needed.

Wheelie calculations (http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/wheelies.htm)

chevnut55
06-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Try riding a ducati 1098s wheelies just happen by accident. I let the cluth out a bit fast..wheelie
gas it a bit too much...wheelie
intersection green light...wheelie
turn around in traffic...wheelie
pass a car...wheelie
I only tryed 1 power wheelie like I used to do on my xb12r with mods that I could only get 1-2' for a 5-10', on the ducati doing 50 instantly came up to balencing point carmly and stable I rode it out 50'
I do not want to wheelie much..but this bikes adictive.

rshepler217
06-14-2012, 01:06 PM
@BadS1 it is possible to preload a wheelie on an 03 xb9r. i do it to mine just about every day. only in 1st or 2nd though. if you want to do it in 3rd you do need the clutch. it may help that i am only 154lbs but it seems very easy to do on my xb9r.

jafred
06-15-2012, 03:47 AM
I would not recommend power wheelies to anyone learning. High rpm = tiwtchy bike and the buells have a short balance point. You can huck yourself off the back in a hurry if your not carefull. Low rpm and clutch slip with a little gas.

BuellRiderX
06-15-2012, 04:54 AM
Check out this explanation.Â* Basically, the closer the center of mass is to the rear wheel (L), the less force is required to pull a wheelie.Â* Also, as the height of the center of mass increases (H), the required force to raise the front wheel reduces as well.Â* Of course these two need to be considered together, so rider position is still important. A heavy rider will likely increase the height of the center of mass (unless they are some squat machine with no upper body mass), but if they ride further forward, which increases L, the height difference could be cancelled out.

Taking the rider out of the equation, an S will wheelie easier than an Scg just due to the height difference.

Another variable I can see is suspension set up. If you have it really soft, then the bike is going to squat down and effectively reduce H, and increase the required force needed.

Wheelie calculations

That is seriously over thinking it my friend. Best way to learn how to wheelie in my opinion is on a four stroke dirt bike. Controllable power with a longer wheel base.

Although it is funny how some of you guys can't power wheelie your 9s... I had a second generation SV650 which makes about the same power. Power wheelies in 1st no problem.

konarider94
06-15-2012, 04:56 AM
you just need to yut-ugh to wheelie

Dx4F94DnATY

bobaganoosh
06-15-2012, 07:09 PM
i just got a 400ex 4 wheeler and i can wheelie that thing 1st through 5th gear, its a blast. Its alot easier than a bike though cause you dont have to be worried about going ove backwards, you just hit the grab bar, haha

bobaganoosh
06-15-2012, 07:10 PM
o yea and if you really want to wheelie go get a cheap wheelchair. i got one in my basement and i just go down there and ride wheelies around. almost as fun as the bike

Joe King
06-20-2012, 10:32 PM
I had an 1125r which would come up in 3rd off the throttle no problem! Remus powercone, hand made link pipe,K&N and a EBR race ecm.
Just keep klicking up the gears until there all gone, 6th gear wheelies are no problem on the 1125r.