PDA

View Full Version : Modified Belt Tensioner

ChasCrewChief
12-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Who sells the Modified Belt tensioner for XB in the States?

GatorBuell
12-31-2008, 09:51 PM
The Free Spirit tensioner? Trojan-Horse is the only place that I have seen them for sale, nothing State side.

ChasCrewChief
12-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Sad News. The U.S.A. has a market for quality parts.. even though the Buell Company discourages any improvements. So anyone open to sharing their experiances with purchases,shipping,delivery and communications with Trojan-Horse from the States?

maybebuell
12-31-2008, 10:25 PM
tensioner,s are shortening belt life by half..dont understand why its needed...said this a few times no replys ... no one uses them unless theres an issue on custon bikes with chain or belt hitting frame ect....belts get tight as they get hot...there designed to be adjusted on the tight side...want 50.000 miles plus out of your belt...ditch the tensioner

typeone
12-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Metaltek Racing used to bring some Free Spirits stuff state-side but I dont think Ron is doing that any longer.

Matt at Trojan-Horse is a great guy, you can purchase from them with confidence. i've ordered a few times without issue, even had to exchange some parts, no issues at all. highly recommneded.

maybebuell... thats funny, dont tell the Buellers in the UK that no one uses them :D TONS of FS modified tensioners have been fitted and are in use across the globe. ask Matt at Trojan how many he sells!

i have a few seasons on my FS modified tensioner, no issues, belt looks new. it will stay on for the life of the bike.

ChasCrewChief
12-31-2008, 11:08 PM
I agree with the tensioner just not stationary! Working on Harleys you can see not much suspension travel so belt tension is TIGHT. It works to a point.
But my XB uses all the suspension! If Buell would look at their warrenty records, the rear wheel bearings and belts are not lasting. Eric bite the bullet and swallow your pride, fix the pulley!

typeone
01-01-2009, 02:52 PM
ah, my bad. i misunderstood. thought you were questioning the FS tensioner.

Sayjackb
01-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm looking in to getting the Modified Tentioner. How does buying from the UK work? If i put it on my Visa, dose visa pay the company in Pounds (Or Euros)?

ChasCrewChief
01-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah I believe so. I am trying to do the same but my E-mail has not been addressed on how much the S&H will be....I am guessing everyone is UK is enjoying the holidays...which they should! Hope to hear soon and recieve and ride in 2009!

LeFox
01-02-2009, 09:09 AM
If i put it on my Visa, dose visa pay the company in Pounds (Or Euros)?
visa will always pay in the local currency of the country of sale.
in this case, that would be pounds.

mrdozer2you
01-02-2009, 12:54 PM
visa will always pay in the local currency of the country of sale.
in this case, that would be pounds

And your credit card will give you the exchange rate for the day of purchase and bill YOU in US dollars.

chris_xb12s
01-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Before you buy from the UK(trojan) see if it is cheaper to buy directly from Germany. http://en.freespirits.it/catalog/transmission_en.php
110E=$153 (Freespirits)
£110=$159 (Trojan)
i know both prices need shipping and tax adding but trojan is a middle man so might be worth buying direct.
Chris

ChasCrewChief
01-08-2009, 03:03 AM
Good idea Chris but bad news. Free Spirits just E-mailed me and states they don't send to U.S.A. any more....And Trojan Horse won't reply to my question on cost for shipping & handling. Can anyone ring UK and tell them to check their E-mail?

chris_xb12s
01-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Im based in the UK. Trojan left a message on the UKBEG forum to say that their email system has been down and they advised people to re-send the emails. I'll see if they has posted recently.
Chris

chris_xb12s
01-08-2009, 09:12 AM
this was the the thread
Please note: Due to a computer malfunction over the Christmas period, we have lost all of our incoming e-mails between 29 December and 4 January (amongst other things!).
If you tried to contact us during this period please send your e-mail/enquiry again using the contact us form on our web site, or to news@adrenalinmoto.co.uk.

We will get back to you ASAP.

ChasCrewChief
01-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Chris you are the best! I re sent my email for S&H information so I can fill out their web site form.
Hopefully my order can be in by the weekend. This forum always has the people and the info I need.

chris_xb12s
01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
no worries mate, happy to help. hopefully you will get it all sorted. If you havn't been on the UKBEG website i would check it out as there is so much info on the belt tensioner including fitting instructions with hints and tips that people have found make the item work even better.
Chris
ukbeg.com

chris_xb12s
01-09-2009, 08:16 AM
guys,
Done some more snooping for your and found another place that sells them....and more importantly cheaper. Their prices include VAT so you will just have to email them and see if they ship to the states.
http://www.harleyspares-uk.co.uk/GREAT%20STUFF%20FOR%20BUELLS.htm

Chris

ChasCrewChief
01-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Chris I am stumped[confused] Trojan still won't return my E-mails. And this new site you found does not have a "contact" address so I can ask if they will send to the States,if they have in stock a tensioner and how much for the S&H? What gives? Is this a Euro only club? It would explain why I never see this great product on any U.S. owned Buells[mad]

Lordfenwick
01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
here you go!

Tel : 0044 1225 785164

Unit NB1, Hilperton Marsh Farm,

Marsh Road, Hilperton,

Trowbridge, Wiltshire BA14 7PJ

info@lightning-services.co.uk

ChasCrewChief
01-09-2009, 10:32 PM
E-mail sent. Thanks for the added help. I have never tried so hard to purchase 1 part for a Buell. It's nice to have friends here with information. Let you know how it all turns out.

NOMORE4s4ME
01-10-2009, 03:13 AM
why is it so hard to get friggin parts for these bikes in the states. wtf

ChasCrewChief
01-11-2009, 04:48 AM
I don't know[mad] Still waiting for a reply[confused]
Going away on business. Will check back in a week.

ChasCrewChief
01-20-2009, 04:16 AM
Chris, how about more help? Just got back. Checked all my E-mails and still no response from Trojan or the new site you suggested. Anyone got any clue what shipping and handling would cost from Europe/UK to Charleston, SC? I don't know what would happen if I just completed the Trojan "Buy" and plugged in the Estimated Cost for Shipping. Last try Hepl before moving on.

Lordfenwick
01-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Feeling bored at lunchtime so I phoned Trojan for you..........

Shipping cost will be about GBP12 ($18)

To get one, just place your order on the website and they will add the shipping cost on despatch - apparently they process all orders manually - it's not an automated process. Or give them a call......0044 1325 483551

I tried lightning services but didn't get an answer

You'll probably get charged import duty if the USA is anything like the UK [sad]

ChasCrewChief
01-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Thank the Lordfenwick! I will go to their web site tonight. Just in case..What is the time difference,so I can call when they might be open.

Lordfenwick
01-21-2009, 10:10 AM
You are 5 hours behind us......

Just a point of interest the British Pound has crashed to an all time low against the US Dollar and now stands at 1GBP = $1.39 this morning. Over the last year it's come down from $2 - that means stuff bought from the UK is now 30% cheaper than it was a year ago for you guys in the states.

Fill yer boots...........:D

ChasCrewChief
01-29-2009, 10:56 PM
IT HAS ARRIVED!!!:D I want to Thank this site for all your support. Lordfenwick's phone call must have done the trick because I have this Beautiful Modified Belt Tensioner in my hands in less than 2 weeks (from across the pond and thru customs:p) My wish list is 1 item less. Now to save for the New Darkhorsemoto rear pulley[up] and the right side air scoop. Thanks again.

tattoo72
01-30-2009, 01:37 AM
If you don't mind me asking. How much was it with shipping? Did you have to deal with customs or did it just arrive at your door with no hassles?

ChasCrewChief
01-30-2009, 03:51 AM
I don't mind. The best I can figure is 12.00 pounds?
All the figures are in their currency. No hassles with Customs on my end..delivered right to my door by Fed Ex! I am very happy with the final results.
Go for it!

chris_xb12s
01-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Did you check out the UKBEG fitting guide.
If not the short run down is...
Use two big washers on the exhaust mount side between the tensioner and the frame to keep the tensioner away from the exhaust brackets. Then use one smaller washer (not shim) on the outer side between the tensioner and the pulley wheel, this will help to keep the belt inline with the pulley. The instructions provided are generally pretty messy and make it so that the belt doesn't sit correct.
Any questions then just ask.

ChasCrewChief
02-03-2009, 03:19 AM
I followed your suggestions and everything lined up!
I did catch the cover pushing against the pulley so a small trim was in order. The bike pushes easier and looks great:p This part is one of the best investments. Thanks

Fireball
02-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Check the website by fanatics-parts order, send money with paypal or wire money transfer and receive it 4-5 days later. Easy for everyone.:D

kalifornia
10-01-2009, 11:12 PM
I know this is an old thread, seems to me maybe a belt with one or possibly two additional teeth could be a solution. thoughts anyone ( do they make a slightly longer belt? thanks

unionthug
09-04-2011, 12:07 AM
This is kind of an old thread but it seems relevant. I ordered a free spirit belt tensioner from Trojan horse racing almost a month ago and I have yet to see it and heard have heard nothing from them despite two e mails to them asking the status of my order.

I see on their website they pride themselves on customer service. I'm just not seeing it. If my tensioner is not here next week I am going to contest the charges. If it does arrive I will check back in and tell you so. So far I give them a 2 of 10.

UT

onelogue
09-04-2011, 12:29 AM
I would contest the charges now to avoid the possibility of not getting the money back. No replies to emails is too scary. But maybe someone knows whats up with them.

browland
09-04-2011, 08:53 AM
you could always buy from solobuell.com just ordered my soft clutch from there

BadDad320
09-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Got the gold anodized one a while back..... Put it on my credit card..... It arrived promptly and is a quality upgrade that should improve belt life..... Looks cool too !!!!!

gsxr1k
01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
[up]

gsxr1k
01-20-2012, 10:42 AM
So has anyone other then maybebuell removed their belt tensioner completely?
how did that work out for you?

Stevenc150
01-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Maybebuell has been MIA off the board for quite a while. He didn't even have a Buell, had just been thinking of getting one (hence the screen-name). Very often, he liked to think he was as smart as the Engineers that built the bikes...

Edit: BTW, I can't recall ever hearing of anyone taking off their tensioner.

jakestolar
01-20-2012, 03:10 PM
BTW, I can't recall ever hearing of anyone taking off their tensioner

I have taken mine off. ...to put a nerw belt on

gsxr1k
01-20-2012, 04:15 PM
[smirk]

That explains it. Aftermaket tensioner it is then :D

maybebuell
01-31-2012, 12:18 PM
just for ****s been looking threw other buell sites...there not happy with tensioner eather...eats up wheel and front sprocket bearings and creates unwanted heat ..plus belt tension with no tensioner changes so little it makes no diffrence...all bikes with sprockets have tight high spots and low loose spots....steve i been around awhile with all kinds of bikes....a buell is nothing but a motorcycle...tensioner does more harm then good.....im wondering do you see a tensioner on erics race buells

firefighter1c57
01-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Erik(learn to spell) uses chains on his race bikes. Not belts. Do me a favor, pop your car hood, remove your belt tensioner from your serpentine belt and report back how that worked out for you....

maybebuell
01-31-2012, 03:10 PM
nice come back another word you have nothing to offer...how about if i look at millions of other motorcycles with belts and take there tensioner off...O wait they dont have one...nor does a car have sprockets...nice try fire pants

firefighter1c57
01-31-2012, 06:33 PM
yea, replace serpentine with timing. You knew what I meant.

Nice try... most belt drive bikes have adjustable rear axles. You tension the belt with the axle adjuster just like you would tension the chain on a chain drive motorcycle. Fuel frame Buells do not. Belt tension is kept constant by the tensioner pulley.

Trying juvenile come backs like fire pants makes you look like a fourteen year old know it all...

firefighter1c57
01-31-2012, 06:50 PM
for those slow among us
The circled bolt is for adjusting the belt tension on a Harley
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Tara0601/Harley/bolt.jpg
and here's a similar set up on a chain drive
http://ridersdiscount.com/forum/pro_bolt/rear_axle_pro_bolt_titanium_bmw_s1000rr_4.jpg
here's a Buell fuel frame swing arm. NO BELT ADJUSTMENT
http://image.motorcyclistonline.com/f/8865240+w760+st0/122_0310_07z+2004_buell_xb12r+belt_view.jpg

belt tension is set by the idler pulley. However, due to swing arm arc, tension is not kept constant with the fixed pulley. IE tension is increased as the suspension unloads and decreased as the suspension is loaded(decreased to the point where the tensioner can actually be removed with the rear tire attached).

The whole topic, before you decided to throw in a useless two cents, was about a self adjusting tensioner to not have the tension decrease/increase as the suspension travels.

I'm still waiting for links to all these rear wheel bearing/secondary bearing failures you keep talking about.

oh9bolt
01-31-2012, 06:57 PM
[up] fire pants is right. :p

Lol sorry firefighter I had to.

Red93stang
01-31-2012, 09:44 PM
The tensioner is designed to carry and or spread the load between three bearings. Trans output shaft bearing, rear wheel and tensioner, in the tuber years they were having trans output shaft bearing failures when the belt was too tight. The tensioner was designed to solve this issue.

maybebuell
02-01-2012, 02:13 AM
red are you saying at one time there was no tensioner..im not sure what tuber years where...if no tensioner then how was belt adjusted

firefighter1c57
02-01-2012, 03:22 AM
ONCE AGAIN. With a axle adjuster.

Tube frame Buell swingarm
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6195/6033484195_8c59eff67e.jpg

The bearing problems with tube frame Buell transmissions was a over tightening of the belt by owners/incompetent mechanics problem.

Thinking back. It seems like the tube frame mounted the swing arm pivot a couple inches further aft than the fuel frames. That was part of the belt problem too as I recall. Do to the pivot point, the rear pulley arc was "exaggerated" compared to what it is in the fuel frames with the swing arm pivoting closer to the front sprocket.

Even the New Harley XR1200 uses a tensioner instead of a adjustable axle.
XR1200
http://www.bikerzbay.com/images/stories/NEWS/Harley-Davidson_XR1200_Caf_Racer.jpg

Did you take the tensioner pulley off your timing belt yet?

maybebuell
02-01-2012, 04:05 PM
thanks for the info and pics fire pants;;;i had no idea the axel was fixed on the newer models ..yes i took tensioner off my truck replaced it with a buell tensioner and the belt laster 30 miles...thanks a lot

anrkizm95
02-01-2012, 04:19 PM
wow

firefighter1c57
02-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Yep. 14 year old f@%&* know it all.

maybebuell
02-02-2012, 04:13 PM
wow
thats what you said when buell went under

maybebuell
02-03-2012, 04:31 PM
firepants..i thanked you for your pics and said i learned something about buells..and you still act like a punk on the tax payers dime...you live close to boston ill buy you a coffee and a water to put the fire out thats burning your axs...i like the new xr models shown in the pic...when i grow up and can handle the power of a 1200 storts im getting one

rhcp
03-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi guys! Is this belt tensioner prolongs the life of the drive belt? For us in Russia it is a real problem because the cost of the belt is $ 300, and its lifetime 10000-15000km. Pre-petition asking for it, all translated with Google)))

bobaganoosh
03-23-2012, 12:15 PM
your belt should last alot longer then 10 to 15,000km unless you have a 2003 model. in that case you should upgrade to a 2004 and newer style

rhcp
03-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I have a 2003 model XB9S, but many guys on the more recent models have the same problem. I saw by chance a modified belt tensioner on solobuell.com, and therefore decided to ask those who used it.