PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Beson Exhaust

upperb
03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Hi all.

Am looking to buy a Beson exhaust for my Firebolt.

If you have one, or know someone who does, please drop me a line.

Thanks

squidbuellie
03-07-2013, 10:16 PM
I have not seen one in a minute....but your best bet is to hit up dean, He is making one that is close to it.

upperb
03-10-2013, 11:56 AM
LOL!

Can I take it there's one in your field of view? I will contact him. Thank you very much for your advice.

d_adams
03-10-2013, 12:20 PM
The first question I have is, why do you want one? It's loud enough that most tracks apparently won't even let you run it, putting it on a streetbike is just asking for a ticket. If it's for a track bike and you're looking for max power, then I can understand why you'd want one.

Btw, mine are considerably shorter than a Beson pipe.

netty2424
03-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Am looking to buy a Beson exhaust for my Firebolt.

Way peaked your interest into a Beson? Just curious.

upperb
03-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Dean and Netty,

Thank you very much for responding to my post and for asking about my reasons for wanting a Beson. What appeals to me about the Beson is that, in addition to it being reputed to be among the best horsepower-boosting exhausts, it has that "works" look to it, i.e, springs., slip joints, blued, bare steel. It also appears to be lightweight. I have often wondered why Eric Buell chose to build his race muffler for the XB out of steel, instead of aluminum.

I regret that I'm getting into the XB game late. I have wanted one for years, but just got my xb12r last April. I can understand that the interest in full, race-minded systems has apparently waned, in favor of the development of such systems for the 1125. I have been out of the street/GP bike scene for 25 years. When I was building FZRs, GSXRs, CBRs, etc. for roadracing friends (I was in college and couldn't afford to roadrace myself), full systems were the norm. Slip-ons were looked down upon.

I missed out on the Besons, Microns, etc. when they were being produced. It seems like alot of what's out there now are heavy, slip-on exhausts that, without alot of computer mapping (which, I confess, is beyond my skill-level at this point--give me a set of smoothbore Mikunis or Keihin Flat CRs and I can and have tuned with the best of them), may well result in a reduction in power, not an increase.

As for loudness, in PA, where I live, I have never heard of someone getting a ticket for a loud exhaust. I'm sure it happens, but not to me. Knock on wood!

Dean, your workmanship looks FABULOUS, but, respectfully, the mufflers you use look really HEAVY. Is there a lighter one you might consider employing? How about something from Burns? In my humble opinion, a round, lightweight muffler, coupled with your awesome-looking pipes would be the coolest thing ever!

Dean, I'm not an engineer, so please don't take my comments as criticism of the guys like you, Eric Buell and others who are out there spending hours designing, building and developing this stuff and not sitting in front of a keyboard pontificating. I appreciate you asking the questions you did and giving me this opportunity to voice the motivations for my query. Keep up the great work!

d_adams
03-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Buell chose to build his race muffler for the XB out of steel, instead of aluminum.

Aluminum will not hold up long term on a HD based bike, it will get shaken to pieces eventually.

may well result in a reduction in power, not an increase.

10%+ gain in power already proven, a map is being worked on as I type this. Mike (xopti) has one of mine right now and is datalogging/testing with it.

mufflers you use look really HEAVY

Yep, I build them to last. Adding .015" in wall thickness is a trade-off I'll take if it gives me more durability. The tubing I use is for the most part .065" (16 gauge) wall thickness. Occasionally I'll use .049" (18 gauge) but not very often. Just a fyi, the stock muffler is about 18-19 lbs, mine are around 12. Sure, the jardine is lighter, but seriously, that 6 lbs of weight savings is only worth 1.5 hp at best. When I can beat their power by more than that, the weight savings is moot. Unless you're racing at the extreme top level of the game, it's just bragging rights anyway for who's got more hp.

This is the latest one in progress. I'm waiting on a response before I weld it as it may not be _exactly_ what the guy wants.

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/dadams1969/exhaust%20stuff/XB%20headers/rear188header_zpse202f719.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/dadams1969/exhaust%20stuff/XB%20headers/IMG_20130310_160412_zps3f59e23c.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/dadams1969/exhaust%20stuff/XB%20headers/IMG_20130310_160423_zpsdc3cd02c.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/dadams1969/exhaust%20stuff/XB%20headers/IMG_20130310_160437_zpsafea39d7.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/dadams1969/exhaust%20stuff/XB%20headers/IMG_20130310_160445_zps0f3b28c3.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/dadams1969/exhaust%20stuff/XB%20headers/IMG_20130310_160503_zps83ffccbe.jpg

Dean, I'm not an engineer, so please don't take my comments as criticism of the guys like you, Eric Buell and others who are out there spending hours designing, building and developing this stuff and not sitting in front of a keyboard pontificating. I appreciate you asking the questions you did and giving me this opportunity to voice the motivations for my query. Keep up the great work!

Guess what? I'm not an engineer either. :)

It's all guesswork.

Btw, you mentioned spring retained, slip fit exhaust.

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/dadams1969/exhaust%20stuff/XB%20headers/IMG_20130306_180721_zps030418d3.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/dadams1969/exhaust%20stuff/XB%20headers/IMG_20130306_180712_zpsb0501e46.jpg

stensg
03-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Dean for the win:D [up]

netty2424
03-10-2013, 04:03 PM
No problem at all! I was just curious to learn more about the Beson exhaust. Not familiar with it so I thought I would try to open up some dialogue about it. [up]

Dean, quit posting pictures please, or I will eventually be calling you!

Are you building a package with Mike that will include maps with your exhuasts? HUGE!

Sorry for the thread jack upperb![up]

upperb
03-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Dean,

Thank you for your informative response. Guesswork??? You're a humble man!

As to the use of aluminum, I would have thought aluminum of the appropriate thickness would survive, but its probably the malleability of the steel that makes it superior to the aluminum in this application. I thought Buell used aluminum mufflers on some of the tube frame racers.

As stated above, your workmanship is extraordinary. Your systems do appear to set the standard by which those of the other current manufacturers are judged. All of the features you employ in constructing your systems are very appealing (thick tubing, slip fit, springs, etc.). The only feature that, for my taste, would be different is a lighter weight muffler. I'm curious, why does your RT-XB1 use two mufflers, instead of one? Have you done any dyno testing on a single-muffler system? Would you consider building one for me?

Again, you are to be congratulated on the success you have achieved in the design, development and construction of your systems!

Netty,

No problem on the jack!

d_adams
03-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Are you building a package with Mike that will include maps with your exhuasts? HUGE!

Yep. Pricing for the map is up to him, but if it's anywhere close to what I expect for power, it should be worth the cost.

appear to set the standard by which those of the other current manufacturers are judged.

Nope, not by a long shot. I can weld, but there are guys out there that put me to shame.

I'm curious, why does your RT-XB1 use two mufflers, instead of one? Have you done any dyno testing on a single-muffler system? Would you consider building one for me?

Design choice to make it fit within the stock mounting points, guess I just got lucky with the power gain. I have built a single oval body muffler, its the RT-XB-3, I also did my version of the magnaflow exhaust, essentially they're the same thing other than materials. The magnaflow is 409/436 ss and mine is all 304 ss. Even though it's more time consuming to build them, I actually prefer to build the RT-XB-1 over the other XB systems. Dunno why, but there it is. Might just be the way it sounds or looks. Nah, it's the power.

Have I done a single straight through exhaust for the XB's? No. Can I? Sure, just haven't done one yet. I have no idea how it would perform though. I'd expect similar results to a jardine at worst. It will be a while before I build one if I do, I'm averaging at least a 4-5 week delay on building stuff, guys keep ordering so I never seem to get caught up. Maybe I should stop posting pics? I know it gets at least one other builder's panties in a bunch when I do.