PDA

View Full Version : Header Wrap performance issue

drewbuell
01-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi,

I have just wrapped my headers with exhaust wrap and am having some serious performance issues, bike seems like its running at 50% and have some backfire…

I had to wet the tape and wrap the header in quite cold conditions 0-3 oC and think that some of the wrap is still wet/damp.

Does anybody know if once dried out my performance will return?

Any help Is very much appreciated….

dave_xb12r
01-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Well, what you described sounds like an easy way to crack your header. If you have a ice wrapped header, and you apply a lot of heat, bad things are going to happen. It's just like how you're not supposed to throw hot water on a frozen window cuz it will crack it.

My guess is, you're going to need a new header. Next time you may want to dry it with a hair dryer when you're done wrapping.

drewbuell
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
It wasnt frozen! just cold.. when i started up after wrapping it smoked a lot (which is normal)

Could it not just be the dampness of the wrap that is causing this performace issue?

dave_xb12r
01-05-2009, 11:29 AM
lol Well I guess we're going to have to see if anyone else had problems after they started up with wet wrap. Logically, it doesn't seem like there would be that much of an effect. How long did you let it cook? I would think the moisture would steam off. But like I said before, a dramatic change in temp could cause problems.

drewbuell
01-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Hmmm, i was under the impression that to dry it off you started the bike and heated the pipes...

the rear header seems to be fine as in it looks dry but the front pipe is still looking wet.

Would you recommend removing the tape and checking the pipes?

typeone
01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
check your front plug, might have fouled it. did you rev the bike while still cold? sometimes that can foul a plug, or not letting it warm up properly. i dont think the wrap job is causing it.

drewbuell
01-05-2009, 12:38 PM
i did rev it a little when cold, will deffinately check the plugs!

Thanks

Buellysses
01-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Did you drop the engine at all to remove/install the header? (if you didn't, please let me know how you got the *&$#ing thing off. :) )

Make sure nothing came unplugged. Sounds to me like your front cylinder isn't firing.

GatorBuell
01-05-2009, 10:16 PM
A wet wrap will not cause a problem. Mine gets wet all the time when I wash it or ride in a down poor, just make sure in the future if it is wet you let the bike run and dry the wrap before you store it, even overnight or it could rot your pipe out over time.

Jornum1
01-06-2009, 12:35 AM
I 2nd what typeone said, sounds like a fouled plug. I had the same symptoms, and that was the problem.

drewbuell
01-06-2009, 07:04 AM
dropped the bike off at my loacal garage and they said the same thing about the spark plug.. having it checked over today and should be back on the road in no time...

Buellysses i found these instructions for removing the header pipes "you have to rotate the engine foward. I have seen it brought up a few times on here. in a nut shell, remove: chinfairing, airbox cover, airbox, muffler, oil cooler V bracket with cooler, top and rear engine tie rod, loosen rear axle and remove belt adn tensioner from engine, undo all electrical connections on top of engine, loosen rear engine mount. Place a floor jack under the engine then remove the front engine mount. Let the jack down slowly and the front of the engine will lower, rotating the engine foward. now you should be able to access the rear cylinder. It sounds kind of involved at first, but its really easy after you do it once"

However when i wrapped mine i left them on, it was actually pretty easy.

Thanks v much for all your help and advice..