PDA

View Full Version : giving little throttle when starting good/bad?

1SexyBuell
01-08-2009, 01:43 PM
This doesnt happen often but sometimes when trying to start my bike, the bike will attempt to turn over then shuts down. whenever it does this, I will try to give it a little throttle while im pressing the ignition to give it a little "boost" for lack of better terms. I believe I've read about other Buells having the same problem and even the Buell Blasts that I practiced on at Riders Edge had the same issue... Im just curious if there is something that can be done about it, is it normal, and if its unhealthy for my engine

squiers007
01-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Sounds like your problem is more electrical than anything, have you checked your battery voltage? Do you use a battery maintainer? I used to have the same problem until I started using a maintainer and now all my startups are flawless. The Blasts are not fuel injected like the XB's, so gas can help, but giving an XB gas at startup, if i remember reading this right, can cause problems with the plugs down the road and wont help at startup.

ROJO
01-08-2009, 02:02 PM
My xb12 does the same thing once in a while. I usually hit the ignition again and it will fire. You don't need to give it any gas before it starts since it primes when you turn the bike to "run".

1SexyBuell
01-08-2009, 02:05 PM
now that you mention it, it does happen when the bike isnt ran for long periods of time... my battery has died at least 4 times in the whole year that I've had it... is it a possibility that its time for a new one or should I invest in a battery tender

LeFox
01-08-2009, 02:27 PM
is it a possibility that its time for a new one or should I invest in a battery tender
i would say both :o

1SexyBuell
01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
lol I will definitely do so then... Thank you all for the advice

BuellPartsGuy
01-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Giving a fuel injected bike "gas" during cranking doesn't really do anything, until the button s released.

FIDOSOL
01-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Make sure when you go to start it up to let everything come on before attempting to crank it. Put key in ignition, turn key to correct position, turn the "kill" switch to the on position (opposite of "kill" position) wait up to 30 seconds, you'll hear everything come on and such. Then start your bike up. See if that helps at all.

Also, before getting a new battery take it to autozone for a free "deep cycle" charge. Helped me out alot. (Although I had to have mine charged like that 2-3 times to get my battery working again...)

1SexyBuell
01-13-2009, 04:53 PM
taking the battery to autozone sounds like a good idea, thanks [up] its too cold to be riding anyway, well for me at least