PDA

View Full Version : engine oil leak

MAGIC
01-09-2009, 04:23 AM
Hey guys! I just got my 03 Buell XB9s Lightning (5500 miles on it) few hours ago. This is my first bike ever and I already love it! Didn't have chance to ride it cause the snow and cold (I live in Chicago). But I found a problem with it already :(. I started it up, let it run for a while (like 5 mins), did some rev ups (I had to hear that throaty wicked sound) and I noticed oil drips on the floor right under the front of the chin spoiler. Oil filter leak? Any ideas? Please help!I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!

Stevenc150
01-09-2009, 04:32 AM
Pull the front chin fairing off and check it out. Hopefully it is just a leak from the oil filter. Also you can download the full service manual for the XB's by clicking the link at the top of the page that says "Buell Service Manuals" and download to your computer if you need any help. Hope it's nothing serious.

Bordsnbikes
01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Did you buy it private party or from a dealer? If it's a dealer go raise hell. If it's private party call him and ask him about it. Then say that you think you should get some money back or he should pay for it to be fixed. Don't give him the option of fixing it himself though, he'll do a crappy job, or he would have fixed it already.

strmvt
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
check and make sure the oil lines are tight and not leaking at the oil cooler and that the oil line seperator is in place

MAGIC
01-09-2009, 09:45 PM
OK guys I just got from work and I'm going to take a closer look at it. I called the guy I bought the bike from and he said that it never leaked before. But he also said that he changed the oil himself right before putting bike to storage and the oil filter is HAND TIGHT. He didn't use a chain wrench... I don't know if it's normal with bikes (this is my first one)? When I change the oil in my car I always use the chain wrench.
Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Buellysses
01-10-2009, 12:27 AM
I never use a wrench on mine.

Oil up the rubber gasket and crank it on there by hand. You should be able to get it to spin one full turn after the gasket contacts the housing.

Make sure when you take the filter off you check to make sure there isn't an "extra" gasket stuck on the engine housing. I've seen that happen before, it's actually kind of amusing.

EDIT: my bad, manual says 1/2 to 3/4 turn after gasket contact.

MAGIC
01-10-2009, 12:32 AM
I found the problem. It's leaky oil pressure indicator switch. Here's a sketch to give you idea what I'm talking about. http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3029_20090109182555_L.jpg

I'm going to order this part online or from Harley/Buell dealership and will try to replace it by myself. The location of it is nightmare and I know it's going to be pain in the a$$ but I'll give it a shot.

Did anybody did it before, how it was, any advice?
All help appreciated.

Stevenc150
01-10-2009, 12:32 AM
+1 on the hand-tightening for Oil Filters. Never had a problem with doing it this way. I stopped using "wrenches" when it crinkled the backside of one in my truck and leaked almost all the oil out.