PDA

View Full Version : shifter sticking issue

tbramich
05-10-2007, 07:20 PM
OK, I was out on the highway and running through the gears, after about 20 miles of steady 4000 rpm in 5th I had to slowdown to get off, as I expected I down shifted and the shifter stuck down. If I hit the gas again or down shifted hard it would go back to center.
so I got it to 2nd at the ramp end and took off, shifted to 3rd then 2nd then it was stuck down again. I realized I can hook it with my toe and lift it back to center and I can down shift again. I let the motorcycle cool down and it seemed to up and down shift OK in the garage. Road test not yet done, anyone know whats going on?

tbramich
05-12-2007, 12:44 AM
found the problem- it was the oil, going to run synthetic now

mezap
05-12-2007, 03:08 AM
can you expand on that? Why was the oil causing the shifter to stick? You are talking about the oil in the transmission, right? How many miles does your bike have? How many miles on the oil that was causing it to stick? Should I be running synthetic? I have around 3500 miles. I know its more slippery than regular oil, but how was the regular causing your shifter to stick? (Sorry bout all the questions. Inquiring minds are usually confused...)[smirk]

tbramich
05-12-2007, 05:24 AM
i got the bike from a bike shop on tuesday. been ridding it since then. they told me it had a fresh oil change in it so i took there word for it. well it seems they did the crank oil (swingarm tank) and drained most of it out of the primary (tranny/ clutch) but never filled it again. plus over tensioned the chain tension pad assembly and that caused excessive wear on it. when i was tooling along around 80-90 mph it got to hot (not enough oil) so then it melted the pad. the little pieces got into everything including the shifter. i got lucky to be close to home so no other damage occurred. but now its going to take a long time to clean. the pad only cost 21$ so thats a cheap fix.
i didnt put much detail before because i started to feel like nobody reads this forum.

v12tiger
05-12-2007, 03:47 PM
i read [up]