PDA

View Full Version : Garage "How to" for rear wheel removal???

dawiz45
01-12-2009, 01:56 AM
New to Buells. Just got an 05 City-X and need to change my rear tire. Now I discover that all the technics that I have used in my 36 years of motorcyle riding won't work on a Buell. If I had a lift with a wheel vise I could do it by the book...but no lift. Hoping you guys are going to tell me some simple but effective "Garage Technics" to rear wheel removal!

Help!!!...and Thanks in advance!

nativeXb12Rbuell
01-12-2009, 04:25 AM
Welcome the great world of Buells... learn how to do it yourself or find one of the very few dealers that work on them(and not mess something up) not to mention treat you u with respect .

You dont have a motorcycle jack? (after35yrs?) I saw here in this forum or maybe another forum someone hoisting up the bike with a step ladder and straps & hoist.or use a engine lift and straps and with straps on each side to help keep stable and still. or here's another ideal also needs straps on both sides here to keep it stable and still...

http://www.buelletinboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1915&highlight=jack

but hell a motorcycle jack at autozone or somewhere is ony $100 plus $15 motorcycle straps from walmart . thats what i use and works great.and the service/tech manual.

dawiz45
01-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

And...I know how to do it myself...been riding HDs since 78...so I am experienced at wrenching...and getiing no respect...(HDs were not always "Cool")
I have 2 HD/Buell dealers within 50 miles of me, and one I have done buisness with for years...I just don't really enjoy flling thier pockets with $$.
Yep...got a motorcycle jack...my Road Glide resides on it so I can move it around the garage as needed. Got a tip-up jack too...but like I said...no bike lift.

So how does one use the motorcycle jack when the pipe is underneath? ...I have a D&D...is ot ok to just jack it up by the pipe and use straps to stabilize it? Looks like a lot of stress on the case where the pipe mounting bolts connect.
I am with you on all the overhead hoist and stablizing...just wanted to see if someone ut there who was way more familiar with the bike had a better idea.
Thanks for the feedback. And I am still open to anyones "Why didn't I think of that" input!

Stevenc150
01-12-2009, 02:52 PM
So how does one use the motorcycle jack when the pipe is underneath? ...I have a D&D...is ot ok to just jack it up by the pipe...

From what I've looked at on the net, the D&D slip-ons for XB9R's & XB9S's have a built in jack point.

Tork
01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I have a D&D. You can lift your bike from underneath the D&D with no problem. Done it a dozen times with no ill effect.

dawiz45
01-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Cool...Thanks for all the help.

I just broke all the hardware loose on the side stand then put it up on the bike lift as nativeXb12Rbuell suggested and strapped it down...a little unsteady, just got to be careful! Got the wheel off and headed to the shop for a new skin now...no problems!

Thanks