PDA

View Full Version : cant get it to start

armyguyxb12
01-12-2009, 05:45 AM
hey i have a 07 firebolt xb12r and i filled my tank up with premium gas drove my bike up in to the bed of my truck took a trip when i got there and got it out of the truck it wouldnt start any one got any ideas what the dill is?

armyguyxb12
01-12-2009, 05:47 AM
it turns over but just wont seem to get fire

FIDOSOL
01-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Is there ever a clicking sound? Have you checked your plugs? Try recharging your battery?

LeFox
01-12-2009, 12:40 PM
need some more info about the bike and what it sounds like when you try to start it.

kajer
01-12-2009, 12:45 PM
dav_xb12r and I have both had this problem.

It came from filling up while we were on our bike. If you fill over that first 'lip' below the filler cap while the bike is level, the bike seems to want to die, you just have to keep cranking past this, or siphon some gas out so the level isn't over that lip... Luckily when it happened to me, I was already on the freeway doing about 90ish, so I had lots of momentum to keep the engine turning over while it was sucking the extra gas down or whatever was really happening... When I fill up, I always make sure I don't go over that lip anymore...

Hope this is what your having a problem with, and not anything more serious.

FIDOSOL
01-13-2009, 01:29 AM
hey kajer, on my bike (07XB9SX) there is an overflow tube for gas if you overfill it. Does yours have that? If I fill up over the lip it just starts draining out the tube, comes out near the rear of the bike just before/beside the wheel.

armyguyxb12
01-13-2009, 04:23 AM
its kool guys i pulled the rear plug and swapped it out it cranked right up i figured it was getting gas just no fire does any one have a clue as to an easier way to get the front plug seems imposable to get to

oxygen151
01-13-2009, 04:50 AM
take your scoop off and its really easy. the front plugs easy, the rear is usually the tricky one.

Stevenc150
01-13-2009, 02:11 PM
any one have a clue as to an easier way to get the front plug seems imposable to get to
Use a regular 5/8" combo wrench with the scoop off, careful not to overtighten.

armyguyxb12
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
well i took the hole air box off when i changed the rear one it just seemed like it would have been hard being up under the frame

kajer
01-14-2009, 12:08 AM
I can't say that I do... Actually, I don't know if I do or not.

I filled up today, brought the gas right up to the lower lip thing. And sure enough, It started to sputter on me as I took off from the gas station. A quick trip down the freeway to the neighborhood behind HP pavilion and all was well.

I came out of the Amtrak/Caltrain dispatcher center and my bike wouldn't start for me. I'd crank on it until it finally caught, then it would slowly catch up to idle, then if I gave it some gas, it'd choke and die.

Once I fired it up, I revved it up a few times, and took off, then when I gout out of the parking lot, and stopped at the stop sign, it died again. I got it started again, and took off and stopped down the street to make copies of the papers I picked up...

After letting it sit a half hour or so, I opened the gas cap to see if the fuel was still over the lip... nope, just under. I got on the bike, started it, rode home, lane-split by a CHP going about 40mph (traffic was doing ~20mph), and no problems.

After this whole ordeal, I believe in filling the bike to the lip, WHILE IT'S ON THE STAND, not while I am sitting on it, keeping it level...

@FIDOSOL:
When I took the California charcoal canister off, I ran the fuel vent tube to the throttle body inlet where the canister hooked up before.

on my bike, which was a '09 California model, there was the fuel vent tube that ran over the airbox, down to the canister, then thru the canister, back to an inlet on the throttle body. So, a drain tube? I doubt it...

LeFox
01-14-2009, 09:30 AM
there should be a drain tube...no matter which model.

seems like when overfilled your creating a vacuum, which causes the bike to stall.

kajer
01-14-2009, 09:59 AM
what ever is happening, the problem is reproducible when the bike is "topped off" to that inner lip. Confirmed on the '07 firebolt and now the '09 lightning long.

john1784h
01-24-2009, 08:42 PM
i am having the same problem, however my fuel is well below the "lip". Actually it just came back from my local HD/Buell service center today, it started and ran beautifully there once i got home (like 20 min in the bed of a pickup) it wont start, it cranks, the lights work the pump works, but now it wont start, it is clicking very rapidly and it begins backfiring if i try to start. Anyone got any ideas? I was considering it being the gas, but the dealer when i called back said they rode it around a good amount, like 15 miles and they didn't have any problems. The service dept found that my coil wire was slightly unplugged when i brought it in, has anyone had a similar problem after transport?

Thaloc
01-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Iv never had this problem you've had Kajer. I almost always fill up over that lip unless im heading straight home. If I fill over that lip and go straight home(I usually fill up right next to my house) The over flow line will drip out the excess(Right onto my exhaust outlet[mad]" But most the time im going somewhere so I fill it up over the lip and it never sputters.

If your hearing clicking its usually a bad connection to your battery, or a dead battery.

Stevenc150
01-25-2009, 03:38 AM
john1784, trickle charge battery a couple of days (Autozone will do it for free and check to make sure you're battery isn't shot) and check your spark plugs. Probably fouled them trying to start with a low battery. Recommend NGK Iridiums if plugs are fouled.

john1784h
01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
alright im gonna check the plugs, is it possible that while it was sitting the coil went bad? Cause the dealership changed the plug wires, or so they said. i dont know about the plugs though, i'm sure they at least cheked them.

Stevenc150
01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
is it possible that while it was sitting the coil went bad?
I wouldn't think so. Either way, I'd do the simple stuff first. After making sure you've got a good battery, good plugs, and the plug wires are connected good - it'll probably run, post back up if it doesn't. Why did they replace your plug wires?

john1784h
01-28-2009, 02:36 AM
okay so i after work today i took the air box off and the side scoop, I get to the coil and the plugs, the wires are fine, nice and tight, on both sides. The wires look exactly the same as the last time i pulled them out, so I'm skeptical about the dealership actually replacing them, like they said. I haven't gotten to pull out the plugs and check the gaps.BUT, when i pulled off my seat my positive terminal for my battery was burned, almost melted! I need to pick up a multimeter to test the battery it was hooked to a trickle charger and it seemed fine took the charge and is now holding it. I will pull the plugs tomorrow morning and check the gaps and deposits. If the plugs are fine, and the battery is fine and the wires are fine, does anyone know what else this could be? Could it be the gas? I had put Sta-bil in it as recommended before the start of winter, should i drain the tank and add fresh fuel after i check the fire? Thanks alot for an help!null

LeFox
01-28-2009, 08:12 AM
don't use additives...
if your fuel is bad, drain it!

if your +pole has melted, there's something wrong there. whether or not it's the cause, it's not normal and needs to be fixed.

maybebuell
01-28-2009, 03:20 PM
battery connection burnt tells me theres arcing usually from the battery connection not being tight

john1784h
01-28-2009, 03:50 PM
okay, so i got the plugs out, they look fouled, so i'm gonna replace them, but i also checked the gap and they were gaped out to .045 which is way too big according to the book. The fuel is going to get drained tonight and replaced with fresh fuel. hopefully that will work. I will also pick up a new battery. Did i mention in my previous post that when i tried to start, the bike would backfire?
Stevenc150:where do i find these plugs? the NGK iridiums, any auto parts store?
Also anyone know if there is a warranty on batteries from HD?

maybebuell
01-28-2009, 04:10 PM
battery post are burnt that the whole problem right there.....ant plug is goingto get dark and foul with burnt wiring or battery...plugs are not an issue

Stevenc150
01-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Stevenc150:where do i find these plugs? the NGK iridiums, any auto parts store?
Got mine @ O'reilly's for $6.50/ea. - DCPR9EIX NGK Iridium plug. You'll need them and they won't foul as quickly as others. Very happy with mine.

About your pos. terminal melting, be sure and check a wire hasn't rubbed through it's insulation & have a look at your fuses also. I've seen several posts where people have had wires rub through & short. Good luck.

john1784h
02-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Checked the wires and the fuses, all fine. Replaced the battery, and now I'm draining the fuel. Is there a way to partially foul your plugs? Should I just get new plugs to be sure or does anyone think the HD ones are still fine? Correct me if I'm wrong but if the bike is back firing when starting, the fuel is bad, correct? Or am i way off and i just drained the tank for no reason.

[confused]

BTW: Barbs HD in NJ is selling the batteries for the Buell XB9r for 25% off. So if anyone lives down here and needs a new one or a spare there you go.

john1784h
02-01-2009, 08:52 PM
NGK iridium spark plug for Buell Firebolt XB9r: DCPR8EIX[up]

strmvt
02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Knock on wood but I've never had any issues with fouling plugs stalling dieing or any other issues in this post and others. Since the day I bought her (07 XB12R) I rode her like I stole her start her up put gloves and helmet on and go. Far as fueling past the lip I've done it numerous times and had nary an issue with starting or fouling. I treat her to fresh oil every 3k in both holes hell I can honestly say the only tjing gone wrong is when the rear plug snapped in half doing 90mph and the voltage regulator went out and I blame myself for that one, thats what u get for not having a proper size fan when doing a data log standing still. Hope you get it sorted and ride safe when you do.

john1784h
02-01-2009, 09:59 PM
fresh fuel added. bike still backfiring.

john1784h
02-01-2009, 11:03 PM
is it possible that the fuel filter is clogged? bad fuel maybe some debris from sitting got sucked up in the filter and that is restricting the flow causing the backfires?

john1784h
02-01-2009, 11:26 PM
okay i figured it out, the wire for the rear cylinder on the coil side is loose, but it wont snap on, i dont think its even making contact with the connector inside the wire. It doesnt snap on like it should, the wire snaps onto the plug just fine but the coil it just kinda slips on and off, the front wire snaps onto the front plug and side of the coil just fine. New coil or new wires, or both? Suggestions?[confused]

Stevenc150
02-02-2009, 04:07 AM
It's hard to tell without pics.

New coil wire unless you can get a good look at it and it's the coil. On coil side, compare the good front cylinder terminal end to the rear terminal and see it they look the same. Hopefully you can fix it youself. Also check the coil wire ends, where it's split and snaps, it shouldn't be "collapsed". If it is, you may be able to pry them apart and re-use them. Either way, it sounds like it may not be too expensive....which is a good thing. ;)

LeFox
02-02-2009, 07:56 AM
the wire for the rear cylinder on the coil side is loose, but it wont snap on, i dont think its even making contact with the connector inside the wire. It doesnt snap on like it should, the wire snaps onto the plug just fine but the coil it just kinda slips on and off, the front wire snaps onto the front plug and side of the coil just fine. New coil or new wires, or both? Suggestions?
other connector?

john1784h
02-11-2009, 04:29 PM
ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!
I replaced the battery, the plugs, the fuel and the wires and now it runs. When the dealership put on the wires they were those out together yourself ones, and the DumbSh** mechanic who did it didn't put the coil boot on properly so after the ride home in the truck the wire came out of the plastic retainer and slid back so it wasn't making contact, I took the wires off and noticed right away, I rebuilt the wires and snapped them back on, it started right up, but i dont trust them so i ordered a set of 8mm wires from ironmchine.com, they have color match wires with iridium plugs for $37, not a bad price if anyone is looking for them. With the plugs being like $8 bucks a pop normally and the wires being $30 i saved some $. So anyways its up and running and I just wanted to thank everyone for helping out. Especially LeFox, and Stevenc150. This is such a good forum, keep things going. If there is anyone from SJ on here hit me up.

Stevenc150
02-11-2009, 05:23 PM
No problem, glad to help where I can. :)[up]