PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Ulysses--intermittent chk eng lite

stewball63
04-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Got one of the first (#22) of the 2010 Ulysses in Oct 2009. No probs for 22K miles. 20K svc in Reno, and probs started on 4400 mile Sturgis trip. Weird ECM stuff, bike seemed like it was "vapor locking". Pikes Peak wouldn't help me. Found out in Reno (late Aug 2012), that fuel vent line was kinked, causing overpressure in tank, and the problem was solved. That was after they looked at ECM plugs and told me that 2 pins were "retracted", pulled them out, greased them up, and told me I was good to go. They could never answer my question of why the bike was running, at 70mph, on I-10, in 5th gear, with neutral lite and chk engine lite one (twice in same day). No problems, until last week...............

Weird issue: turned on the key, didn't pay attention to cycling, fuel pump pressurizing or any of that. Neutral and oil lites were on. Hit the starter button, and nothing happened. Several times. Then noticed that handlebar heater control was in "on" (low) position. When I switched it to "off", chk engine lite cycled, and bike started. I thought it might have been the problem, but started the bike several times after that with the heaters on, and the bike started fine every time.

That day the chk engine lite came on 4 times, for 3 secs or less, would go out, and bike ran fine till it happened again. All that in about 37 miles. Bike would hesitate, causing me to look down, see the lite come on, and go out.

Next time I rode the bike (75 mile day), it did it 9 times. Cold, warm, hot............even at a stoplite. Hesitation is always there, and while lite in on, there is NO POWER at all. At 50-55 mph, did it in 4th gear, I didn't back off the throttle, and when it re-lit the bike jumped back to life.

So............not sure what to do, but planning to pull the right handlebar control unit apart and check for wires rubbing, grease up all the connections, and may do that with the ECM plugs as well.

I own a 95' S2 Thunderbolt, 98 S1W White Lightening (white), and the Ulysses. Owned a 99' X1-Lightening, first year of Buell's DDFI. Ended up selling that bike since nobody could figure out how to dial in the ECM, and made the mistake of putting a V&H slipon on it(like I have on the white bike), and then it REALLY ran crappy.

So now I am having problems (29K miles on the ULY), and it all seems to be ECM related. Battery is putting out 12.7 volts, static, so I'm figuring the battery is not a problem. Bike always garaged.

Any ideas? ECM Spy.com still available? Planning on about 10K miles this year on the bike, but just can't get over the thought........when is this thing gonna die on me, when I need the power? That kinda problem can get you killed!

Cheers, Stewall

Stillonit
04-10-2013, 04:57 PM
pull any codes yet? for all you know could be a bad sensor

stevengeorgia
04-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Anyone have a twin-tec too? I'll have to get a manual, My light has been on/off like that too...

correafj
06-26-2013, 07:21 PM
I have an 08 Uly that the engine light keeps coming on periodically. I pulled the codes on ECM Spy and there is nothing under current. The only thing I got was a code 13 under historic. It said O2 sensor running lean. I was just about to post about it but found your post. My 05 Lightning's neutral light stays on all the time. It will go off when I squeeze the clutch in. It does run well and have not had any issues with it. Can anyone chime in on the Uly problem?

thrstrmech
06-26-2013, 08:19 PM
retrieve codes first before doing anything, could be something simple, troubleshoot the system through the flow chart in the manual...this before buying parts...if you need to replace any, take a look at the general motorcycle chat forum for parts cross reference...can pick up parts at local auto parts stores rather than HD stealership and save some $$$

motomaj
09-28-2013, 02:55 PM
WHAT ARE THE ECM SPY CODES AND HOW OR WHAT DO I DO TO RETRIEVE THEM???? I HAVE A 08 XT. WHY DID I BUY THIS BIKE??? ITI'S LIKE RUNNING MY 450- KTM EXC ON THE STREET THAT'S WHY!! IT'S FUN !!!!!!!!:D