PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought / Won't Start

historyteach
01-14-2009, 02:16 AM
I just bought an '08 Buell XB12ss from a dealer in Pennsylvania through eBay. It only has 2,000 miles on it and was supposedly checked out, but when it arrived the battery was dead. No biggie, I slow charged it, and then the bike spit out a bunch of smoke, started briefly, and won't start again. Suggestions? (And where are the plugs on this thing?). Thanks

kajer
01-14-2009, 02:25 AM
bad gas?

JOEL9
01-14-2009, 02:40 AM
how did you get the bike? did they ship it on a truck or maybe in a crate? they might have drained the gas, i dunno.

oxygen151
01-14-2009, 02:44 AM
I would definitely check the plugs. One of them probably fouled out. The front plug you can access by taking off the scoop. The rear is a little trickier. You have to use a swivel with an extension to get it out. Good luck, probably not a big deal.

Stevenc150
01-14-2009, 03:13 AM
Historyteach, welcome to Forum. Here's a Free Buell Service Manual PDF that will help you get "around" your new bike. It's for an '05, but there are quite a few similarities to your '08. Below is a shortcut link. Download and save to your desktop. Ride Safe.

Buell Service Manual Downloads (http://www.buellxb.com/specs.php)

LeFox
01-14-2009, 09:24 AM
1) http://users.telenet.be/mdr/fun/smiley/welcome.gif

2) would start by getting a service manual

3) check plugs

historyteach
01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Thank you everybody! I will check the plugs later today (and download the manual) and let you know how it goes.

The bike was shipped via HaulBikes and was not crated.

Trill
01-14-2009, 10:01 PM
did you use the throttle when trying to start it the first time? If you give it gas when you start it , it could easily foul plugs. Best bet is to just hit starter button and let it start on its own

sometimes I have to hit the button a few times and maybe give it a little gas for a quick short second and then it will idle till ready.

historyteach
01-15-2009, 05:17 PM
I did give it gas on the first, 2nd, 3rd,..... times that I tried to start it. I took off the airbox cover and the air intake cover looking for the plugs, but man they're in their tight. I couldn't reach them, which has as much to do with my pathetic mechanic abilities as anything. So I took it to a local bike mechanic, BBRP in Bellingham, and the guy told me he figured it was bad gas and fouled plugs, just like all of you have been saying. (On the other hand, the tank was full of gas and the PA dealer put stabilizer in it not too many weeks ago.) So I guess I'll find out later today what's up. Thanks to you all for your suggestions.

cruxi
01-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi,

I've just bought a 2006 XB12S and have exactly the same problem. When I picked it up it only ran on the rear cylinder, now it just cranks and occasionaly coughs or backfires. Did new plugs sort yours?

Cheers
Steve

LeFox
01-27-2009, 11:12 AM
a golden hint when you buy a used bike/car/anything with an engine.

no matter what they are telling you 'i just had it serviced', etc...

always change oil, plugs, check brake fluid, pads, etc...

ShawnB
01-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Defiantly i bought mine got it shipped itching to ride, and well I changed the plugs and did the breather mod. After taking it out last nights its amazing how much torque and power this 9R has.

History, I live in Fox Island if ya ever need some help with some things I could help and this board is defiantly a place to post. Guys are great and knowledgeable.

cruxi
01-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Well, a couple of new plugs had mine up and running!
The recommended NGK plug is a DCPR9E. This seems quite 'hard' for a fairly low spec. engine. Has anyone tried a softer (hotter) option?

EuropaChris
01-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I recently purchased an '06 XB12Ss and had the same problems. We tried to start it up when I bought it, but at 12F, even with a warm, charged battery, all that happened was a bunch of pops and a flooded engine. He was giving it gas to "help" it start, and by the time I mentioned to not give it gas, it was too late.

Even after sitting in a heated garage at home for half a day, it still would only fire on one cylinder, so finally I had to pull the plugs and burn them off with my propane torch as well as crank it over w/o the plugs to blow out the excess fuel.

After re-installing the plugs, it fired right up and ran great.

I went out and purchased a set of NGK Irridium plugs to install, even though the OEM plugs are fine with only 4k miles on them.

Chris

Stevenc150
01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
The recommended NGK plug is a DCPR9E. This seems quite 'hard' for a fairly low spec. engine. Has anyone tried a softer (hotter) option?
Seen posts of people running the DCPR8E's & DCPR8EIX's plugs with no problems that I can remember.