PDA

View Full Version : Breather Re-Route Oil Leak!

FIDOSOL
01-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Ok here goes, it has been snowing the last few days and in the 10-20 degree range (farenheit) for the same period of time. I started my bike on friday and let it run for about 20-30 minutes, no problems at all. I started it again today and let it run for about 30-45 minutes. I went outside and revved it up a bit and it started backfiring. Spit flame out the exhaust and everything. Right after this it starts pushing oil out of the filter from my Breather Re-Route. WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON? I don't know if I just ****ed my bike up or not. Dunno if it's ice in the lines or the block or what is going on. Anybody got any ideas? 2007 Buell Lightning XB9SX no engine mods/stock chip/stock muffler. I only have the Breather Re-Route done. I will be watching this post obsessively every hour I'm awake if anyone can please chime in.

keisersozae
01-19-2009, 11:19 PM
are you letting it idle for 20-45 minutes at a time?

FIDOSOL
01-19-2009, 11:21 PM
yea, and idle is set just above 1k just like the service manual says to do. I was trying to run the fuel out because I have to ship it TOMORROW!!!
On the bright side I found the 5 year warranty yesterday...

Trill
01-20-2009, 12:15 AM
I hear people say that if you let the bike idle too long it can foul plugs and could overheat the bike since its air cooled.

I would try puting some sea foam in the gas and oil it will remove any moisture that may be in the engine.

Hope you get it figured[up]

FIDOSOL
01-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Well I don't think it will overheat, it's less than 20 degrees outside right now. Plus whatever the windchill is..

Trill
01-20-2009, 12:28 AM
I let mine idle for about 25 mins one day when it was snowing and when I went back to bike I could smell that it was kind of hot.

FIDOSOL
01-20-2009, 12:47 AM
The fan didn't even come on. I went outside and started it up a little bit ago and it didn't backfire or spit oil. So I dunno what's up with it.

Trill
01-20-2009, 01:38 AM
did the fan come on when you turned the bike off? My fan wasnt running until i turned it off but it still had that hot smell.

FIDOSOL
01-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Nope, bike wasn't that hot really. most of the snow melted off though.

Odin
01-20-2009, 04:38 AM
sorry Fido; don't really know what to say. But i've never (and would never) let a machine just sit at Idle for that long. When i lived in cold weather I just started my bike every 2 weeks, and rode around my neighborhood, or to the gas station as needed for about 15-20 mins. never had issues starting, or running on any bike.
I've heard plenty of people mention not to let a bike sit running for that long, but can't recall the technical or mechanical reasons why not

Thaloc
01-20-2009, 05:30 AM
Ya I was going to say the same, 30 min idle is wayyyy too long. Once I let my bike idle for like 10 mins in the morning during the first 1k miles and came out to glowing red headers. Asked the shop and they told me basically what LeFox said; start it, and the time it takes to put your gear on is good.

I would imagine your problem prolly stemmed from the excessive idle time, and your going to have to put it in the shop(in Germany?). Good luck Bro!

FIDOSOL
01-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Other than it being air cooled I can't think of a good mechanical reason why a perfectly good motor shouldn't be allowed to idle. I mean wtf right? I know you can let the old air cooled vw's idle all day long. but then again it's a different type of motor. Hopefully no real damage is done, only time will tell.

teh Nub
01-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Excessive idling in cold weather has been known to cause our bikes to run rich and foul plugs. You are probably due for some new plugs because your current ones aren't making enough spark to burn all the extra fuel for the cold start warm up enrichment.

LeFox
01-20-2009, 02:14 PM
fido, don't let your bike sit & idle for that long...the intake gets to warm, heating up incoming air which caused a bad mixture, bad burn, even more heat production and not enough valve cooling.
it could cause your intake valves to burn.

what you experienced was the condensation in/on the oil to vaporize and rise into the line, mix with oil residue and then adding pressure of the heat gaining oil resulting in the spit.

but that is just a guess :p

FIDOSOL
01-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, bike fluids are drained (except brake fluid, let em' try and make me drain that!)and bike is going on after everything gets packed on the truck.

FOR SOME REASON I HAD COFFEE IN MY PRIMARY!!!

Any ideas besides moisture? and I mean all the oil in there looked like coffee with creamer in it. Freaked me the hell out, glad I was draining it.

Urban_Assault
01-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong, but usually when your oil looks like "coffee with creamer in it", it means you had a lot of moisture in the oil. (I know you already said that, but it probably is the case)

Normally they don't mix (obviously), but as it runs through your motor the two will form a liquid suspension. (Think: Italian salad dressing - When you shake the bottle, the olive oil and vinegar form a cloudy mixture) After the bike sets for a while, the two will separate again.

As for the puking breather, it's probably due to excessive backfiring, which is probably due to fouled plugs.

The "breather" basically vents gases from the crankcase. Normally the oil that's in the valve area and vent tubes can drain back down into the crankcase, because there's not much pressure.

If your bike is backfiring, you're pushing a lot of pressure past the piston rings and into the crankcase. This excessive pressure is blowing all of that oil back up into your valve area, and then out the breather tube.

Again, I know everyone already said most of this, I just wanted to clarify in case anyone else runs into this problem.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

-Tim

LeFox
01-20-2009, 04:28 PM
fido, check the area round the clutch cable...

and also...the coffee!? that's why you change oil before long (read: winter) storage ;)

FIDOSOL
01-20-2009, 07:45 PM
It was just my primary oil, the other oil was fine. Changed them at the same time less than 1k miles ago. Dunno. maybe just check on it more often I guess. Anyways now I know to look out for it.