PDA

View Full Version : Fuel in catch-can?

HooliKen
05-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Interesting issue. Have a catch-can with separate filter for my crankcase breather set up on my XB12. Noticed a spot under the filter about 30 minutes after parking it today after work. Drained my catch-can and it was almost all gas? Bike has not been running strange at all. Running modded exhaust and intake with standard race map. Any suggestions?[confused]

stensg
05-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Do you have fuel in your oil?

HooliKen
05-10-2013, 04:02 AM
No large amount of fuel in oil oddly enough. That is the first thing I checked and oil level was not high. Even sucked some out with a syringe and it does not look unusually contaminated. Oil change about 1000 miles ago.

06xbss
05-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Are you sure it was fuel?? I get more condensation is my catch can then anything else.

If it is fuel, might be a valve or intake seal is going out……….just a guess/things I would look at.

sparky300
05-10-2013, 07:27 AM
It's not fuel. I get the same, nasty smelling oily residue in mine that everyone else does. Relax, it's normal condensation and the breather is doing it's job

HooliKen
05-10-2013, 07:51 AM
OK! Question to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

1. I got about 1 oz of oil and the rest was more clear, is this what you are seeing also?

Being that it is connected to crankcase vent and there was some oil I would expect to smell a least a little fuel.

What had me stumped was the fact that oil level was not high, and besides the normal ****ty running from 2k to 3k, and sputter while cruising, bike was not doing anything wierd. Was still getting 45 to 50 mpg commuting.

Have been working through ECMspy, MLV, and TunerStudio instructions and think I have it "mostly" figured out. Need to do some logging, bikes needs to run better than it is.

sparky300
05-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Yep, looks like piss water and smells worse