PDA

View Full Version : please help, bike not firing up. Fuel pump bad ?

onelogue
01-24-2009, 12:36 AM
I have an '04 xb12r and I'm trying to figure out if my fuel pump is the reason that my bike wont fire up. It was noticeably loud when it ran good and I heard this is a sign of the pump going bad? (just keeps turning over and plugs were just replaced). Is there a way to check if the fuel pump/ fuel lines are in good shape. Any ideas please?!

onelogue
01-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Like I said I'm not sure if the fuel pump is bad I'm just trying to troubleshoot the problems for my bike not starting. And trying to avoid the expensive bail out of taking the bike to the HD shop [sad]

Trill
01-24-2009, 01:01 AM
check your fuses and relays

onelogue
01-24-2009, 01:18 AM
well it hums when I turn the key...

oxygen151
01-24-2009, 01:30 AM
I'd say its working then. I read in another post of yours that your bike smoked and ran rough, and you had to throttle it up to keep it running. I would definitely check your plugs and see if you fouled a plug. Those are the exact same symptoms my bike had when I fouled a plug. good luck!

FIDOSOL
01-24-2009, 02:32 AM
Not to insult your intelligence, but did you properly gap your spark plugs? Also, did you check your spark plug wires to make sure they don't need to be replaced yet?

onelogue
01-24-2009, 10:52 AM
I'll be honeset I was in a hurry to get the bike going and I didn't gap the plugs. Just hoped they were good from the package. But I did take it for a ride and it seemed good that say. I'll gap them tomorrow and check plugs again, and let you guys know from there.

All my friends have metrics bikes so I'm trying to keep it on the D.L. that my Buell isn't running. (I would get a lot of crap) hahah So all your advice is muchly appreciated!!

dave_xb12r
01-24-2009, 11:20 AM
It almost sounds like it's out of gas :D

onelogue
01-24-2009, 05:48 PM
hahaha I definitely made sure to check that but thanks

LeFox
01-25-2009, 07:57 AM
check plugs...are they wet? then the bike is getting gas.
make sure the plugs are turned back in correctly so you don't loose compression.
check if you get spark on both wires.
get a manual, check fuel pressure

onelogue
01-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey everyone thank you for the advice! To find out after only a week the plugs were fouled BAD!! Replaced plugs and drained bad gas. Bike fired right up and I'm a proud Buell owner again! I guess it is bad to just start the bike without taking it for a ride, to burn the excess gas in the cylinders. The gas pretty much caked my plugs fouling them within a week. So my bad everyone!
Thank you Lefox, Dave xb12r, FIDOSOL, Oxygen151 and Tril! You all rock!!

XBear9S
01-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Half the issues with my bike were fixed by tightening the battery wires.
There's ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM under my seat.
Every now and then something comes loose.

I always start there.

Special K

"Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

--Omar Buellradley