PDA

View Full Version : Front cylinder dosen't fire up

MAGIC
01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
(03 Buell XB9s Lightning)what reason can it be? Cost range to fix it?

LeFox
01-25-2009, 06:07 PM
- plug
- plug cable
- solenoid
- sensor
- ecm
- compression
- fuel line
- fuel pressure
etc etc etc

price range from 0$ to 4000$

[smirk]

MAGIC
01-25-2009, 06:29 PM
[sad]

MAGIC
01-25-2009, 06:32 PM
thanks LeFox, hopefully it'll be something simple and rather cheap, closer to $0 figure, I paid $3500 for a bike so receipt from the shop for more than $500 would be out of hand...[sad]

LeFox
01-25-2009, 06:41 PM
if you could be a bit more specific, maybe we could help in narrowing the search...

- mileage
- last rides, short?
- short idle a couple of times?
- start her up every now and then to hear the music?
- etc etc

Bordsnbikes
01-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I would start by making sure both spark plug wires are on all the way. If they are then change your spark plugs. It's the most likely and the cheapest. It's a great place to start.

MAGIC
01-25-2009, 09:11 PM
03 xb9s lightning 5500 mls
started her up every now and than, short idles (like maybe 5 mins), no rides cause the winter (she's in the garage); this is my first bike I don't know about bikes too much unfortunately

boney95
01-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Fouled plug. Replace both.

BadS1
01-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Boney is right. But its only the front plug. You need only to replace the front. Then leave your bike sleep till Spring. Put a Battery Tender on it and kiss it good night for a bit.

Bordsnbikes
01-25-2009, 11:24 PM
You should let it warm up completely and ride it for a bit. Or not even start it. If it doesn't completely warm up it will foul plugs. If you put a piece of rubber or plastic under the kickstand you won't need a trickle charger/battery tender either.

You need to replace both plugs, not just one. If things are in set you need replace them in sets. Two tires, two plugs, two wires etc.

BadS1
01-25-2009, 11:47 PM
If you put a piece of rubber or plastic under the kickstand you won't need a trickle charger/battery tender either.

My whole floor in my garage is rubber. That doesnt help. I never heard of such a thing. I'm finally replacing my 12 battery after close to 6 years.

oxygen151
01-26-2009, 12:46 AM
dont start your bike up at all like BadS1 said. Let it be, I know its hard, Im in the same boat. I would disconnect your battery and keep it inside, thats what I do. I really doubt a piece of rubber will eliminate the need for a battery tender.

Bordsnbikes
01-26-2009, 02:07 AM
Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have rubber under my kickstand and I've never had to change or charge a battery in any bike I've owned. The kickstand can ground to the ground and drain your battery slowly, and I mean very slowly. But it happens.

BadS1
01-26-2009, 02:51 AM
I've had a rubber floor for 8 years now. Both my XB's need a tender. The cold can kill them.

Bordsnbikes
01-26-2009, 03:02 AM
My bike sits outside under a cover. It's just fine. I'm sorry your having bad luck with your battery.

Stevenc150
01-26-2009, 03:11 AM
+1 on battery tender and replacing plugs. And yeah, if I couldn't go on a short ride, I'd just leave it on the tender all the time. Got a Deltran and that's what I do. Oh, and recommend NGK Iridium plugs as replacements - $6.50ea. @ Oreilly's.

PorcelainRabbit
01-26-2009, 03:55 PM
my car sits on four rubber tires and my battery died after i didnt drive it for a month :o i shoulda put trashbags over the wheels, or put condoms under the tires ;)

BadS1
01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Your battery won't last 6 years doing that. Nothing to be sorry about. Its had a long life. It'll get a new one this April.

onelogue
01-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Magic I know whats wrong!!! Lefox just helped me with my buell. Mine was only running on one piston too and it would just keep turning over without fire. Well it's an easy cheap fix. Its the plugs front and back. When I got my bike the HD shop told me to only start the bike when I planned on riding it. This is because the initial prime from the fuel pump dumps a lot of gas into the cylinders and those short starts don't burn all that excess gas so the plugs foul very fast!! I know it's hard to not start it in the winter especially sinve you just got it but try to start it for longer... periods of time. Hope the plugs are the only thing.

MAGIC
01-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Ok guys, I've changed the spark plug and it runs like a champ! I didn't replaced one in the rear cylinder cause it looks like too big job for me. I will not touch the bike until late spring.

One question: is it better to invest in the battery tender or just uninstall battery and take it home? I was wondering if i take the battery out I might lose some or all settings in the computer? I don't know bout the rubber piece under the kickstand, doesn't sound like it would do anything...
Maybe I sound like a dummy but this is my first bike and like I mentioned I don't know too much about them.

onelogue
01-26-2009, 09:18 PM
If you need help with how to change the plugs let us know. They can be a pain and there are little tricks to get it done fast!

onelogue
01-26-2009, 09:31 PM
WOO nice work I knew it was the plugs!
To replace a the one in the back you just need a socket extension and a plug remover that has a knuckle in it. To put the plug back in, it's recomended to use a piece if fuel line, then initialy screw the plug in with the fuel line to make sure you don't strip the threats with the spark plug. Then use your socket to tighten it. Eventually you will have to change both plugs (about every 4000 miles I believe)

And hey no worries we all have had our first bikes and a Buell is a great way to go!! Just be here to help people with similar problems.[up]

LeFox
01-26-2009, 09:34 PM
One question: is it better to invest in the battery tender or just uninstall battery and take it home?
tender...it will test your battery and dripload when needed. this will add years to your battery's lifespan.

XBear9S
01-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Well, it may be the plugs this time, but as the owner of an '03 XB9S, I can tell you that they are notorious for shorts. The wires rub and chafe b/c they were new bikes to the company and the mapping wasn't 100% yet. This causes shorts. Shorts fry things. If she's runnin' rough, check your coil. If it's running hot, it's probably a short. It can take out your coil, ecm and/or voltage regulator...

I'm out 2 ecm's, 2 voltage regulators, and 3 coils over the last 6 years and 50k in miles.

As far as the rubber under the kickstand, you might as well rub an egg on it and sing to the rain gods. It does nothing to save a battery from the cold (though I know several who believe the same thing). A good, fresh, well cared for battery is the secret. Mine lasts 1-2 years here in Central Texas. No tender.

Proper warm-up is essential. Light that puppy off a couple minutes before yer ready to leave. If yer riding her in the cold, short trips aren't the best. Letting her run and recharge are where it's at.

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"All truth (about Buells) passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Secondly, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

--Arthur SchopenBuelly