PDA

View Full Version : winter coming, what to do with your buell ?!

LeFox
01-26-2009, 09:15 AM
because of the many non-starter threads lately, i thought i'd make a topic about what to do before parking your bike during winter...(for those who have one and don't ride)

but overall, when parking your bike for a long time, go over this list. it will make sure your bike starts when you want to ride.

1) clean your bike...
make sure your have a clean bike, get it waxed, get some dielectric grease (http://www.autoaccessconnect.com/dielcogr.html) on those electrical contacts, ...
shiny aftermarket exhaust, bolts, etc can do with a little wd40 (http://www.wd40.com/)

2) do a small service...
oil looses its effectiveness and goes sour when sitting for a long time, so change that oil, check the plugs

3) tires...
tyres will deflate after time!
if you keep them standing in the same spot it will give you a flat spot and result in vibrations during riding.
either get wheel-lifts (http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-lifts-stands-wheel-chocks/), fabricate some supports or check/inflate your tires frequently and move it now & then so it's not always on the same part of the tire.

4) battery...
an unused battery dies, since there's always some loss in the wiring of your bike.
either disconnect the battery and keep it warm or maintain your battery and add years to its lifespan by getting and connecting a battery tender (http://ss306.fusionbot.com/cgi-bin/ss_query?e=002&sitenbr=153738354&keys=battery+charger)

5) do not start your bike...
if you're not riding it, don't start it!
i know hearing that music is a joy and can get you through some hard times, but keep in mind that it's not good for your beloved bike. even letting it idle for a period of time isn't the best idea.
if you really want it, be a man, pick a dry day, putt your gear on and ride it for atleast 30 minutes.
you can always take a warm bath afterwards :p

6) other thing you can do...
- keep your bike warm, if you have a cover, use it...
it will also keep the dust off ;)
- get maps & google earth and plan some rides for the summer. you can testride them in your car if you want [smirk]

dave_xb12r
01-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Lefox = Awesome [up]

BryD959
01-26-2009, 02:07 PM
quick ?

why is it not good for the bike to start it occasionally throughout the winter season?

Stevenc150
01-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Fouls your plugs and wastes gas that could be saved for the twisties. ;)

LeFox
01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
why is it not good for the bike to start it occasionally throughout the winter season?
because you'll be running the bike on choke, with an enrichened fuel mixture...and...

either you'll shut it down after 5 minutes and the only thing you succeeded is drain your batter, waste gas, most likely fouled your plugs and give your oil/condensation a good blend instead of getting it warm enough to vaporize.

if you let it idle for a long time, it will go from cold to warm or even hot in a too short of a period since you'll have no ride wind. not a healthy way to treat your engine.

1SexyBuell
01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I've also heard that starting the bike and letting it sit is bad for your engine because when the bike is still the oil is not running though the engine which can cause damage.

Great post I must say [up]

midlifecrisis
01-28-2009, 02:24 AM
The best thing to do with your bike is to ride it. Nothing else comes close. I admit I'm not as tough as I was in my younger years (I've ridden in 10 degrees) as I don't go out much below 30 degrees anymore, but a pair of heated gloves and layering properly makes it bearable and even a hoot if it's dry. BTW, I live in New Jersey and aside from the global warming stuff, it gets pretty damn cold 'round here. JUST RIDE!:D

1SexyBuell
01-28-2009, 04:31 PM
lol I live in New Jersey as well, and this weather sucks [down]

ShawnB
01-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Any recommended oil to use for the bikes ? Or just the usual oil sold at HD?

jasper
01-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Any recommended oil to use for the bikes ? Or just the usual oil sold at HD? There is a lengthy discussion on here about oil, I've read em all and decided to use amsoil 20-50 as it works well in both holes, and comes highly recommended for the v-twin. Mobil 1 v-twin 20-50 is also excellent choice and also easy to find, good for both. But if you are further interested hop onto a thread related to the oil topic. hope I helped u out.

jasper
01-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Excellent advice Lefox. Keep em warm if possible, I got mine in the house;)

ShawnB
01-29-2009, 12:13 AM
ty jasper

Stevenc150
01-29-2009, 03:06 AM
Any recommended oil to use for the bikes ? Or just the usual oil sold at HD?
Recommend full synthetic. I use Royal Purple 20W50 in Primary & Engine. Helped with the "Clunk" & finding nuetral. Here's a good thread: Engine Oil & Filter (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Engine-Oil---Oil-Filter)

fahren
10-14-2009, 05:11 PM
From 2006 Lightning Owner's Manual:

Placing Motorcycle In Storage
en Caution

If motorcycle is to be covered, use a material such as light canvas that will breathe. Plastic materials that do not breathe promote the formation of condensation which can damage the finish of the motorcycle. (00247a)

1.Warm motorcycle to operating temperature. Change oil and turn engine over to circulate the new oil.
2.Fill fuel tank and add a gasoline stabilizer. Use one of the commercially available gasoline stabilizers and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
3.Run engine until gasoline stabilizer has had a chance to reach fuel injectors.
4.Check rear drive belt wear.
5.Check tire inflation. Adjust to proper inflation pressure.
6.Wash and polish molded-in-color, painted and chrome surfaces.
7.See Battery: General for proper battery care. Remove battery from the motorcycle and charge. Store the battery above freezing temperatures and trickle charge once a month.

Removal From Storage
en Warning

Explosive hydrogen gas, which escapes during charging, could cause death or serious injury. Charge battery in a well-ventilated area. Keep open flames, electrical sparks and smoking materials away from battery at all times. KEEP BATTERIES AWAY FROM CHILDREN. (00065a)
en Warning

The clutch failing to disengage can cause loss of control, which could result in death or serious injury. Prior to starting after extended periods of storage, place transmission in gear and push vehicle back and forth several times to assure proper clutch disengagement. (00075a)

1. Install charged battery if removed.
2. Remove and inspect the spark plugs. See service manual.
3. Clean the air cleaner filter element.
4. Start the engine and run until it reaches normal operating temperature. Turn engine and ignition/headlamp key switch off.
5. Check oil tank level. Check transmission lubricant level.
6. Check controls to be sure they are operating properly. Operate the front and rear brakes, throttle control, clutch lever and gear shift lever.
7. Check steering for smoothness by turning the handlebars through the full operating range.
en Warning

Be sure tires are properly inflated, balanced and have adequate tread. Inspect your tires regularly and see a Buell dealer for replacements. Riding with excessively worn, unbalanced or under-inflated tires can adversely affect stability and handling, which could result in death or serious injury. (00114a)
8. Check for correct tire pressure. Incorrect tire pressure will result in poor riding characteristics and can effect handling and stability.
9. Check all electrical equipment, switches, headlamp, stop lamp, turn signals and horn for proper operation.
10. Check for any fuel, oil or brake fluid leaks.

onelogue
10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
LEFOX is in the house!! [up][up][up]

Midnight82
10-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Or you could move to Arizona and ride your Buell all year round.