PDA

View Full Version : belt guard

justin4260
05-30-2013, 03:44 PM
I took mt belt guard bottm and top off and I like how it looks. what do yall think is it to dangerous to leave it off. does it realy matter?

Negative
05-30-2013, 03:48 PM
That was literally the second thing I did to my bike... No problems yet... I see alot of people that have done it... Haven't heard of any problems yet but I've only been on here for about a month or so...

gtp3800
05-30-2013, 04:32 PM
do you have to take the rear tire off to get them off? I cant seem to get to the screws....

Zeroflat24
05-30-2013, 04:53 PM
I took mine off the day i brought it home about 2 years ago. I have yet to have a problem.

Lesley
05-30-2013, 05:25 PM
If its a regular model the screws are very hard to access. The long frames are much easier.
I have an scg w/o guards or fenders. 39,000 miles on OEM belt.

vtech007
05-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Justin, in answer to your question, you are likely going to get opinions from both sides of the isle on this subject.

Lesley
05-31-2013, 04:02 AM
Justin, in answer to your question, you are likely going to get opinions from both sides of the isle on this subject.
pretty sure that's what he wanted which works out because thats what these boards are for. My mileage speaks for itself. It's not opinion it's actual fact.

buellbradski
05-31-2013, 04:24 AM
do you have to take the rear tire off to get them off? I cant seem to get to the screws....

Yes on older xb's not sure when it changed but I had no issue wit my 07 and my brothers 04 I couldn't get to. I don't see any need for the gaurd , took mine off 3years ago and no issues.

vtech007
05-31-2013, 01:00 PM
No one is addressing the author of this thread's question if they think running no belt guard is dangerous, implying the concern for the threat to personal injury. Fortunately and apparently to no one's knowledge or experience to date has anything that doesn't belong entered the pinch point areas of the fast moving belt and pulley. If the question was, "is it potentially hazardous", one may have to respond, yes.

texasroadranger
05-31-2013, 01:45 PM
I would say YES. I put mine back on because a rock got into the pulley and belt and broke my belt on my R. Wasn't a big deal but had to buy a belt. I knew it was a rock because rock material embeded in pulley.

vtech007
05-31-2013, 06:13 PM
Glad you were OK. Also glad it wasn't a big deal, like if you were far from home on a long road trip, for example, or stranded with a broken drive belt and no spare.

texasroadranger
05-31-2013, 08:15 PM
It happened a few blocks from work, I pushed it on to work, worked all night, had my wife come pick me up after work, borrowed a motorcycle trailer from buddy same day, drove down to worksite to pickup bike, take bike home and park it, order a new belt, took a week to get it in, removed wheel and installed new belt AND the belt guards. Turn around time was about 5-7 days.

justin4260
06-02-2013, 03:36 PM

some people are talking about xb, but if you are talking about a blast, no I just unscrewed it. one screw was behind the right foot peg bracket but I was able to put the driver at an angle to get it out without striping it