PDA

View Full Version : storage solution???

03fire9r
01-30-2009, 01:45 AM
So during this long crappy Vermont winter I have been thinking of a good way to actually store something on my 03 XB9R? I Am planning on riding every day possible to work (30 miles each way of some of the best riding in the area) but I would like to be able to take my lunch along?!?!
I was thinking either a tank bag or a tail bag that goes over the rear seat. anyone have either or both and how do they work. I am only 5'6" so I am a little worried about how tall the tank bag might be.

Thanks in advance[smirk]

speedracingluda
01-30-2009, 02:59 AM
i personally dont like the way that bags look on a firebolt so i always wear a backpack if i know im going to be carrying stuff around. but im always thinking about the storage thing too. wish i had more

NOMORE4s4ME
01-30-2009, 03:00 AM
I used to have a tank bag for a bike in the past. Easy way to carry things around. Also had a map pocket on the top that came in handy more than a couple times. I'd go with a tank bag over a tail bag for the map reason alone. But its also better for accessability to have something in front of you. Just dont stare at the map while youre rolling. Also, I sometimes ride w a backpack on...tho I've heard some horror stories about objects in a backpack becoming a liability should a crash occure.

Trill
01-30-2009, 03:34 AM
+1 on the backpack.. just dont carry open knives or anything that could kill you if you go down lol.

backpack = added back armor :)

Stevenc150
01-30-2009, 03:36 AM
I ride with a backpack. Figure it adds a little protection should something happen. (I did have to tell my wife to quit with the silverware though. :p ) I'd get one with a chest strap so it's not trying to slip off while you're running.

squiers007
01-30-2009, 03:53 AM
I ride with my backpack to school everday. Can get a little heavy sometimes when I need to bring a bunch of stuff, but is still way better than having to drive the damn car! Never tried any of the bike bags, but would go with the tank bag if I had to pick one that way you can still have a bag and a passenger if need be.

LeFox
01-30-2009, 09:08 AM
if not a backpack...i personally head a tankbag and would go for something like this:

ventura luggage solutions (http://www.ventura-bike.com/fitments.aspx?manu=Buell)

03fire9r
02-01-2009, 05:44 PM
A back pack was the first thought that I had and defenetly sounds like a good idea. Any ideas of a really good quality one??

thanks again everyone
Matt

03Firebolt9R
02-01-2009, 07:08 PM
I just got a really cool Wenger Swiss Gear Maxxum backpack. It has a place for a laptop, MP3 player, numerous storage compartments, chest strap (keeps it on your shoulders while riding) and great back padding.

swatmedic
02-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I wear my backpack to and from work all the time. On long trips especially on a hot ass south Texas summer day I throw my camelback bladder in for a little hydration. Now the real problem I can't seem to figure out is how to carry my AR to the shooting range... (well without strapping it on my back, that may attract me some unwanted attention)

E

03fire9r
02-01-2009, 08:51 PM
I dont know but I am pretty sure I have never seen anyone riding down the road with an AR-15 strapped to their back. yeah I was thinking of a hiking type of back pack with a camel back built in to it

GatorBuell
02-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I feel naked riding without my back pack, I have the Swiss Army pack from Target. Its got all kinds of storage and its made for a laptop.[up]

ricochet
03-03-2009, 02:52 AM
I have a rear seat bag which is expandable and looks good. I can see how some don't like the look. It doesn't hold much...maybe 3 t-shirts and a disk lock. I also have a Jansport backpack (short) which holds a laptop and has a chest strap. Chest strap keeps the load off of your shoulders. Short bag keeps from hitting the backseat. Hope it helps.

03fire9r
03-04-2009, 01:26 AM
hey ricochet does the rear seat bag sit on top of the seat or does it lock into place of the rear seat??

hula Buell
07-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I have both tank and tail bags.The tank bag is held on with two plastic push locks on the front one on the rear.When it's gas time pop the two front locks and you have all the room you want.The rear bag is held on the tail with two straps that tie down to the rear footpeg area.They are easy to install,expandable and 99% watertight.